Sponsored by:

just got back, let's discuss value of porsches

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2017, 04:09 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Oldskewl
Mine is completely different, has squishy parts all over it and knobby tires for running over things..
Pics???
Old 06-15-2017, 04:11 PM
spg993tt
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
Why pedal a bike for hours on end? Honest question. Can't be for fun?
love it. whaling off a descent on a road bike is as much fun as racing around mosport, maybe more fun. edgy, fast. dangerous. but i really like the aerobic demand. i woke at 430 today, on the bike at 5, rode till 8, 3 hours in a state park, showered at work by 9. massive breakfast. as much fun as racing if not more. you see all the sights. the one downside is the risk. about 5 x more risky than racing. a bang and boom on a bike is ugly stuff. it happens. a bang in boom in a race car usually is just writing a check and some embarrasment.
The following users liked this post:
Sam-g (08-09-2020)
Old 06-15-2017, 04:15 PM
spg993tt
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Oldskewl
You guys have some funny looking looking bikes..?

Mine is completely different, has squishy parts all over it and knobby tires for running over things..

You guys should get with the off road program.. At least the trees are stationary, unlike pick-up trucks and BMW's...
used to race mountain bikes. i develop this wierd nerve thing in my hand years ago. broke my wrist snowboarding and i think the nerve or blood flow to my hand is band and i get crazy numbness mountain biking. have bought a few bikes over the last many years for offroading and each time, an hour in, im in severe pain. tried a fat bike, same thing.
on the road bike, i put gel fizik sutff under the handlebar wrap to minimize the bumps and each year its gotten better . offroad riding is the best, just the best. i just cant do it else i would all the time. but road riding is simple, nothing to clean, and you can work on fitness and strength while having a hoot.
Old 06-15-2017, 05:36 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,699 Likes on 2,342 Posts

Originally Posted by spg993tt
steve, my version....
20 years ago, woke at 500 , on MTB at 530, rode till 8, 2.5 hours in a tilden park abover CAL, showered at work in Emeryville by 9.

offroad riding is the best, just the best. i just cant do it else i would all the time.
the morning smell of dew
the freezing air into the lungs
can't get legs going for the first 15 min.....
hoping the noises i heard was not mt lion....

but road riding is simple, nothing to clean, and you can work on fitness and strength while having a hoot.
NOTHING TO CLEAN, steve? or do u mean nothing you WANT to clean

this is ONE RIDE. i decided the entire drivetrain is a wear item... just replace and not clean.

Originally Posted by hf1
Why pedal a bike for hours on end? Honest question. Can't be for fun?
the first 15 miles is hard. 16-60 is pretty fun
60--75 is painful
after that you cant' feel anything....

Originally Posted by Loess
Nice road rash mooty. It looks like shaved legs really do help reduce the rash. I thought that was just for weight savings And using coke to stop the bleeding, nice. You're making me miss my road bike.
yah shaving just for rash not aero or wt. i really respect women who shave all the time. everytime i do it, there's blood ALL OVER.... u think i killed someone in the shower. i dont use aftershave. after shaving, i slather /2 tube of anti biotic oitment on

dont have new mtb. these are my antiques

Old 06-15-2017, 05:39 PM
spg993tt
Three Wheelin'

gritty rain ride. if warm, the best. but still, that's a 3 minute clean job. chain, wash bike. compressor blow dry. lube, wipe down, done.

if that's a mountain bike, its a 20 minute cleaning.
Old 06-15-2017, 05:58 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

just pulling your legs, steve

i enjoy some wet rides on pavement. but those damn CF rims dont stop well. i had to resort tovusing a civic to help me stop once. that was VERY INTERESTING......

my strangest ride. from my house it's dry. when i got to hill 40 min up, i noticed i can;t keep bike tarcking straight.... yes it's wet but still... then i noticed pavement is white.... FINALLY dawned on me it's snow...i am in SF peninsuslar, march 2017... (shorts with only arm warmers and one base layer) let see if i can find some pic...

Old 06-15-2017, 06:05 PM
tasman
Race Car

Received 125 Likes on 87 Posts

LOL Welcome to my world for 1/3 of the year Mooty.

Tal
Old 06-15-2017, 06:22 PM
Oldskewl
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dewinator
Pics???
Suure..

Name:  IMG_0389_zpsev6r6rgx.jpg
Views: 926
Size:  209.3 KB
This is when I first got it home, no goodies yet.. Just a stock Stumpjumper Comp, the only version still made with Alu. I have a nasty habit of crashing into things, so I didn't feel that a carbon frame was a decent idea considering how many frames I've put dents into.
Also, notice the old stinky Hardtail I've rode it for over 10 years.. still on original wheels and cranks, everything else has been changed swapped out a few times over..

Name:  IMG_0820_zps1iwhegas.jpg
Views: 903
Size:  198.4 KB

Here is it getting the dropper post set up, with the 800mm Spanks and a shorty stem, this thing rips now..

I was having many problems ridding the Hardtail, with an older broken wrist injury, dislocated hip a few years ago and a pretty bad ankle problem, I would be very beat up after even a "lighter" ride.. The 29er and the updated suspension has made those issues go away, I can ride harder terrain than I've done in years and still ride for hours with out the pain I had before.. Also there is a lot in getting these new bikes setup correctly. Really makes a difference

Also, I love the old Moots, mooty.. I remember drooling over them when they where the only ti frames around..
Old 06-15-2017, 06:29 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

^ moots rigor mootis, ybb, smoothie and mootaineer. had all those. all wonderful frames.
merlin and seven used to make really good Ti stuff too.
Old 06-15-2017, 06:33 PM
spg993tt
Three Wheelin'

i used to like the custom stuff, particular Serotta. they were special frames. but over the last 8 years or so, frankly, nothing comes close to the performance and dollars of the off-the-shelf top line frames from like specialized, trek, giant, etc.
i race /train on specialized tarmac SL. stiff, light, durable and they are relatively pretty cheap. the new Di2 stuff all came down in price, and that di2 stuff is flawless.
for rims, if you want better braking, try the zipp 304 NSWs. reasonably deep. but not heavy. wider profile at the brake surace so you can go a 25 or 26mm tire. and they have this ribs/Michelins in the braking carbon surface which rid water. best carbon braking ive experienced, as good as alloy.
those lightweights are nice, light, but narrow so the feel is like older tubulars. the newer stuff have wide profiles. lately ive been training and racing with the specialized rovals. the new cx32s are insane. cheap, WIde so i run a 26mm tire, incredible feel, quiet, dt swiss hub internals. nice nice wheels.
Old 06-15-2017, 06:44 PM
Oldskewl
Instructor

That softtail is a collectors item now I think.. (if not, it should be)

Kudos.
Old 06-15-2017, 08:22 PM
signes
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 417 Posts

Can't beat disc for wet descents. No worse feeling than grabbing the lever > 40 and getting nothing...
Old 06-15-2017, 08:42 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
the first 15 miles is hard. 16-60 is pretty fun
60--75 is painful
after that you cant' feel anything....
Two reasons why I'm not biking...
1. Hate being swiped and thrown into the bushes/rocks by morons texting or having no idea how wide their SUV is.
2. Long (30min+) aerobic exertion is useless and deadly, especially for old (40+) farts. Better to do 30sec all-out sprints (run, swim, bike, etc.) with couple of mins rest in between + bring every muscle 'to failure' 1x or 2x a week with weights or body-weight stuff. About 1hr a week, all in.

More importantly, drop the carbs and plants. Meat and eggs is all you need, as much as you need.
Old 06-15-2017, 11:30 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,879 Likes on 970 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
how did it happen? surfing RL descending 14% grade

new bikes :f10 and new tarmac s works
thought u were cipollini or specialized only...
Attached Images   
Old 06-16-2017, 12:53 AM
tono
Advanced

I love the fact that lots of Porsche guys are also cyclists as well. Impressive riding machines too. Here are mine: a 2001 Basso Diamante (SRAM Red 11, Mechanical) and a 2014 Pinarello Dogma 65.1 with DI2 and Enve 3.4. I have been working too much as of late, so my weekly milage is measly next to you guys. Lucky if I get 120 miles a week. Its a great mental escape and huge adrenaline rush to boot. Keep on riding guys!

Quick Reply: just got back, let's discuss value of porsches