European delivery

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2017, 10:55 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,537 Likes on 5,061 Posts

Originally Posted by armbar
How does one time the delivery with time that you have scheduled off of work? I go on vacation to Europe every year in May. But when my allocation came up for my 991GT3 with a November delivery they obviously wouldn't store the car over there until May. It seems as if all of us will jump at the first available allocation available . Not many of us would do a late fall, winter, early spring delivery either. Too many mountain pass roads closed and generally crumby weather. So, how do you time the delivery to your preference?
I think it's more like timing your vacation time with the delivery time of the car, and not the other way around because you have more control over the former than the latter (presumably).
Old 06-02-2017, 11:24 PM
Todd B

Rennlist Member

Received 435 Likes on 326 Posts

How does one time the delivery with time that you have scheduled off of work? I go on vacation to Europe every year in May. But when my allocation came up for my 991GT3 with a November delivery they obviously wouldn't store the car over there until May. It seems as if all of us will jump at the first available allocation available . Not many of us would do a late fall, winter, early spring delivery either. Too many mountain pass roads closed and generally crumby weather. So, how do you time the delivery to your preference?
When I did ED on my Cayman, I ordered the car several months out with the requested date. My dealer worked with PCNA to schedule the target date. PCNA came with the approval and everything was set. Once I had the set date, we booked our plan tickets and the test of the trip. The car was built a month before I picked it up. You do need to pay for the car a couple of weeks out from the pickup. My dealer waived the VAT. When we did an Audi ED, the dealer took a check for the VAT and kept it until the vehicle showed up back in the states.
Old 06-03-2017, 01:11 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,597 Likes on 2,340 Posts

AFIAK you can only do ED between April and Sept, if you want to do ED you have
to collaborate with your dealer to obtain an allocation and production slot that
is compatible with your desired delivery dates, which you (and your dealer)
agree with PCNA ED staff.

PAG will store your car for a short while, my 15' GTS was built in April and I collected it in mid-May...
Old 06-03-2017, 01:36 PM
Kobalt
Race Car

Received 419 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
AFIAK you can only do ED between April and Sept, if you want to do ED you have to collaborate with your dealer to obtain an allocation and production slot that is compatible with your desired delivery dates, which you (and your dealer) agree with PCNA ED staff. PAG will store your car for a short while, my 15' GTS was built in April and I collected it in mid-May...
Fwiw: I think you can do ED in October too.
Old 06-03-2017, 02:20 PM
disden
Drifting

Received 1,153 Likes on 468 Posts

I'm tentatively scheduled for delivery in Leipzig first week of October.
Old 06-03-2017, 04:53 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,941 Likes on 2,799 Posts

Originally Posted by disden
I'm tentatively scheduled for delivery in Leipzig first week of October.
How long do you plan to travel? Any track events?
Old 06-03-2017, 04:54 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Kobalt
Yes you can, and we have a friend in common who did ED of a 911R in the middle of the Winter (with snow tires).
Old 06-03-2017, 05:03 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,354 Likes on 825 Posts

Simple.

You take a later build slot.

In this case the world revolves around Porsche.

Old 06-03-2017, 05:22 PM
disden
Drifting

Originally Posted by GrantG
How long do you plan to travel? Any track events?
no track events. I'm taking a very special lady--my 8 year old daughter. Going to spend some quality time together traveling during her fall break. Hopefully the weather in Austria will cooperate so we can enjoy some passes (Grossglockner, Timmelsjoch) in between Sound of Music tours!
Old 06-03-2017, 05:35 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by disden
no track events. I'm taking a very special lady--my 8 year old daughter. Going to spend some quality time together traveling during her fall break. Hopefully the weather in Austria will cooperate so we can enjoy some passes (Grossglockner, Timmelsjoch) in between Sound of Music tours!
Nice! Have a great time (I'm sure you will)
Old 06-03-2017, 05:37 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 87 Posts

I know I am in the minority and not to throw cold water on ED but I have travel to and driven in Europe more time than I can remember. What I do remember many roads are narrow especially in villages, there is an inordinate amount of speed monitoring, parking sucks unless your at top of the line hotels (even then it is debatable), driving in the bigger cities is chaotic particularly if you're not familiar with streets and European drivers are intolerant. On top of all that is you have to return the car and wait six weeks for it to arrive in the US.

Unless you're looking to track the car at some of the famous venues, better off renting a car relieving the burden of a $175,000 car being dented or crashed and really enjoy yourself.
Old 06-03-2017, 05:58 PM
disden
Drifting

Originally Posted by Nick
I know I am in the minority and not to throw cold water on ED but I have travel to and driven in Europe more time than I can remember. What I do remember many roads are narrow especially in villages, there is an inordinate amount of speed monitoring, parking sucks unless your at top of the line hotels (even then it is debatable), driving in the bigger cities is chaotic particularly if you're not familiar with streets and European drivers are intolerant. On top of all that is you have to return the car and wait six weeks
for it to arrive in the US.

Unless you're looking to track the car at some of the famous venues, better off renting a car relieving the burden of a $175,000 car being dented or crashed and really enjoy yourself.
if your plan for ED is to pick up your car and head to major cities, then yes rent a car instead...not worth the headaches.

However, if you want to drive the amazing roads/passes in Austria, Switzerland, Northern Italy then its totally worth it. I am currently in Austria right now on vacation with my wife. We haven't been near a large city since landing in Munich. No hassles, no parking issues, just relaxation and amazing drives. Just 2 days ago drove Stelvio and at the top had 2 next generation Cayennes Park next to me. Spoke to the Porsche guys awhile, nice folks. They particularly liked the pics of my RS, and that my wife had a Cayenne!

We travel to Europe a lot, can certainly recommend some nice drives and places to stay where parking is plentiful and people are friendly.

So in summary, you should absolutely do ED if possible.
Old 06-03-2017, 06:10 PM
disden
Drifting

ED is great...for example, here's today on the Grossglockner in my crummy rental 430d. Every time I saw a Porsche I wept with envy!

On Stelvio saw 2 GT3 RS's.

Do ED!!
Old 06-03-2017, 07:02 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,354 Likes on 825 Posts

What I do remember many roads are narrow especially in villages,
Historic charm - spoiled by US space

there is an inordinate amount of speed monitoring,
Obey the speed limits - tsk, tsk, tsk

driving in the bigger cities is chaotic particularly if you're not familiar with streets
No different than any big city in the US

European drivers are intolerant.
They are for the most part better drivers than what can be found in the US - left lane hogs, etc, etc, etc. Someone must have expected that their US driving skills and etiquette would be accepted.
Old 06-03-2017, 07:40 PM
SCCAForums
Pro

Received 79 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Kobalt
My ED is scheduled for Leipzig the week of November 13th.

Best Regards,
Dave

Quick Reply: European delivery