Sponsored by:

GIAC software released for 991.2 S

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2017, 09:43 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Jenner
Really need a 991.2 forum. I'm happy that you have your GT3 allocations guys, I know the feeling from my previous GT cars. Sometimes it's the best part due to the excitement/anticipation.

But seriously why are you posting in this thread about a 991.2 and a boosted engine?

Can a moderator please move or clean up all the GT3 and Fast and the furious crap that has nothing to do with the topic or contribute anything worthwhile or positive to this thread?
good call Bruce. Let's also clean up the rediculous comments, engineering proclamations and power claims that are equally as silly.

fast and furious quotes are equally legitimate documentation to the other data provided. No before and after on a real car.... no valid boost increase data.... no valid data other than " it sure feels fast and I'm an engineer so I know stuff..."
Old 05-17-2017, 09:48 AM
Jenner
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Why do you feel the need to resort to making fun of my name? Are you stuck in 4th grade?

Not a rennlist member and don't post with your real name...do you just troll?
Old 05-17-2017, 10:43 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Why do you feel the need to resort to making fun of my name? Are you stuck in 4th grade?

Don't take yourself too seriously. R_Rated is my real name... what's wrong with that? I brought up some legitimate concerns and others echoed similar concerns. Having an opposing point of view is not trolling.
Old 05-17-2017, 12:38 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by R_Rated
I brought up some legitimate concerns and others echoed similar concerns. Having an opposing point of view is not trolling.
Many on this forum view any disagreement about car preference to be personal attacks.

"I prefer the painted washer nubs/other engine/seats/wheels/sunroof delete/whatever" "No it's your mother that's the prostitute!"
Old 05-17-2017, 01:27 PM
J.Ho
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think you answered your own question
Old 05-17-2017, 01:53 PM
Ira Blumberg
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Sprchng
With just a tune, all of the hardware stays the same. Judging by the dyno plots, there will be no lag introduced.. If anything based off the most recent graph of the base 991.2, peak torque is achieved a few hundred rpm sooner, thus the car should feel less "laggy".

Even the S graph appears to achieve peak torque sooner, these things are packing a nice punch with just a flash. Can't wait to see what big turbos will push!

Good point. The dyno plot shows that Porsche tuned the car to have "fairly" linear torque from about 3,000 RPMs. There is a small bump at 3,000, but thereafter, the torque stays relatively flat up to high revs. This helps give the engine a linear feel.

The tune clearly exaggerates the torque bump at 3,000. This will not introduce any lag, but it will make the car feel less linear. The upside is it will also make the car significantly faster (and it will feel faster, but somewhat more difficult to modulate).

Torque "management" is very common in modern performance cars. This is an area where tuners can unlock significant gains, but there are trade-offs. I personally don't mind losing a bit of linearity for substantial power increases.

In any case, that is what the dyno plot reveals here.
Old 05-17-2017, 06:46 PM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Valvefloat991
According to a Porsche engineer, as quoted by Car and Driver, there's two seconds of lag at 2000 rpm.

Perhaps two seconds is a non-event to you, but some of us are more perceptive.
Anyone who has driven the car knows there is lag. However, the spool is very good for a motor this size and the torque curve is fairly linear.

All the tune does is give you a hell of a lot more torque a hell of a lot faster. The spool is the same there just is a much meatier curve starting at 3k rpm.

Not sure what people want or what they are expecting. The motor is showing awesome gains with just an early tune.
Old 05-17-2017, 06:58 PM
Ed911.2
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

I think Ira has it right. I’ve done just over 1,000 miles now in my .2 GTS and when you’re on it, it doesn’t feel or sound like a typical “turbo” car, because of that consistent linearity.

Porsche could have gone for maximum boost from minimum rpm and made a faster car in pure numbers but it would have had a different character, more like the “overboost” on a TTS. I’m enjoying the balance between good torque at low rpm and needing the revs to make it really go.

My tuned daily has >700Nm at <2,000rpm which is great for relaxed driving at 6/10ths but makes higher revs a bit of an anticlimax.

If a tune on the GTS could just redraw the curve a little steeper without creating a “torque bulge” lower down, I think it would be worthwhile, otherwise why not just get the TTS and be done with it...?
Old 05-17-2017, 07:57 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Ed911.2
I think Ira has it right. I’ve done just over 1,000 miles now in my .2 GTS and when you’re on it, it doesn’t feel or sound like a typical “turbo” car, because of that consistent linearity.

Porsche could have gone for maximum boost from minimum rpm and made a faster car in pure numbers but it would have had a different character, more like the “overboost” on a TTS. I’m enjoying the balance between good torque at low rpm and needing the revs to make it really go.

My tuned daily has >700Nm at <2,000rpm which is great for relaxed driving at 6/10ths but makes higher revs a bit of an anticlimax.

If a tune on the GTS could just redraw the curve a little steeper without creating a “torque bulge” lower down, I think it would be worthwhile, otherwise why not just get the TTS and be done with it...?
To answer your question the TTS is almost another $100k. Why not just throw on a tune and pocket the change? I did. I'll upgrade the turbos too.

Like anyone can even tell the difference between 911 models (other than enthusiasts).

With the turbo motors getting more power is easy. I can't wait to experience this tune myself.
Old 05-17-2017, 08:58 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Originally Posted by Ira Blumberg
Torque "management" is very common in modern performance cars. This is an area where tuners can unlock significant gains, but there are trade-offs. I personally don't mind losing a bit of linearity for substantial power increases.
That makes some sense to me. I just don't really believe in a free lunch, so I think there's generally a reason why Porsche decided to build the engine the way they did (and did a great job according to every reviewer), whether it was for linearity, minimizing turbo lag, or longevity.

If longevity were indeed the reason Porsche didn't put more boost in, it might be unfortunate to be a preowned buyer and have the engine fail far sooner than it's designed to because the previous owner tuned it knowing they were only keeping it for a short time, and then removed the tune before selling it off and letting that buyer pay for their "free lunch".
Old 05-17-2017, 09:29 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Dewinator
That makes some sense to me. I just don't really believe in a free lunch, so I think there's generally a reason why Porsche decided to build the engine the way they did (and did a great job according to every reviewer), whether it was for linearity, minimizing turbo lag, or longevity.

If longevity were indeed the reason Porsche didn't put more boost in, it might be unfortunate to be a preowned buyer and have the engine fail far sooner than it's designed to because the previous owner tuned it knowing they were only keeping it for a short time, and then removed the tune before selling it off and letting that buyer pay for their "free lunch".
The longevity argument is not much of an argument. The 9A2B6 motors all share the same internals.

How do those same internals go to handling 450+ hp in the GTS from the 370 hp in the Carrera?

A good tune isn't going to hurt anything. We'll see these cars making 700+ on the stock internals eventually.

Last edited by sticky; 05-17-2017 at 11:42 PM.
Old 05-17-2017, 09:36 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Originally Posted by sticky
The longevity argument is not much of an argument. The 9A2B6 motors all share the same internals.

How do those same internals go from handling 450+ hp in the GTS from the 370 hp in the Carrera?
Hmm that's a good point.

Originally Posted by sticky
A good tune isn't going to hurt anything. We'll see these cars making 700+ on the stock internals eventually.
At 700 or more maybe it'd begin to become a player though? I suspect only a Porsche engineer, or time, could really tell us for sure.
Old 05-17-2017, 09:44 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Thingy from vehicular amusement park ride.
Old 05-17-2017, 10:00 PM
9914s
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 142 Posts

^^ that's not a bad trap speed.
Old 05-17-2017, 11:41 PM
Banned

That' a GTS? Not bad.

To put it in perspective, the 991.2 Carrera is now quicker and faster than the 991.1 GTS.

Quick Reply: GIAC software released for 991.2 S