New "Texan" owner of a 150k+ miles 964

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2017, 02:13 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Welcome to Rennlist!

Originally Posted by Cadrega
If all goes well I will join the 964 soon...
Then I found this 1992 C2 with more than 150k miles.
Scary!
My previous car, a 1992 NSX, had 106k miles and I thought it was a lot!

Then again time passes and sometimes it's better that a car is driven than staged (if properly maintained).
These cars love to be driven. I bought my car 10 years ago @ 99,000 miles and it has been amazingly reliable (and so, so fun to drive). I'm at over 155,000 and it just feels so solid. Get everything sorted, and look forward to many years of learning and enjoyment.

Oil. It leaks oil, of course, it's a 911! My dad's 1977 Carrera 3.0 leaked oil all the time.

Can't way to get her, to me the 964 is THE 911.

Cheers!
I'm sure your dad is excited and proud also!
Old 04-27-2017, 02:20 AM
JJJMCD
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Madturk
Got 187K on the clock and it's running like a champ. Don't be scared. Congrats!!
165,000 wonderful miles on mine and it pulls like a train. You may need a valve job at some point, but properly maintained these cars are built to last forever. Some pics are below .

The following users liked this post:
heliolps2 (10-04-2020)
Old 04-30-2017, 11:47 PM
jellonailer
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Congrats.
For air cooled - Peter Baldouf, NW Houston. 249 and Spring Cypress.
Find him on LSPRPCA facebook or PM me.
Past PCA president takes his cars there.

Shares garage with me.
Old 05-01-2017, 12:34 PM
Forrest Gump 9
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

One thing is sure: I will not need to worry to have a cooling hose split at a trackday like it did on my NSX.
When I was looking for my 964, I test drove one and there was some burning smell. I asked the owner what's the smell? He said "coolant", we completed the test drive and never see the guy again.
Old 05-01-2017, 01:32 PM
HDA
Three Wheelin'

Received 178 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by jellonailer

Congrats.
Thanks. Holy crap that's a lot of aircolleness in that picture!

Originally Posted by Forrest Gump 9
When I was looking for my 964, I test drove one and there was some burning smell. I asked the owner what's the smell? He said "coolant", we completed the test drive and never see the guy again.
I don't think that applies to NSX alone, there are plenty of cars that didn't receive the proper maintenance and are now getting old. Honestly I am more afraid about white smokes than coolant leakages.

Anyways, she gets here Friday!
Old 05-01-2017, 02:31 PM
txhokie4life
Drifting

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Forrest Gump 9
Technically whether referring to the oil or the air -- the owner was right :-)

Mike
Old 05-01-2017, 05:08 PM
jellonailer
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Come visit us, meet Peter and a probably a host of other Houston PCA guys. Not this weekend, Lemons at MSR Houston.
Old 05-01-2017, 07:25 PM
aceking4u
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to the club and congrats!

I too have a 92C2. I'm almost at 100K, but I think I can easily squeeze 300K out of here.

BTW, any more photos of your pupper?
Old 05-03-2017, 04:37 PM
Derek911
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Before you start replacing things, put it on jack stands or a lift, pull the wheels, engine/trans undercover if installed, engine tin, maybe even the side skirts, and get some oileater and brushes and go to town. Clean everything spotless, then drive it normally and just monitor it before and after every drive. Then you will see exactly whats leaking. Alot of oil migrates on these cars, making it look worst than it actually is or that something else is the source. Also, if the steering rack was leaking in the past, that oil could be all over the place, making it look like an engine leak.
A 911 should not leak just because it's a 911, regardless of miles. Slightly moist, yes. Actual Drips, no.
Old 05-03-2017, 04:49 PM
HDA
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Derek911
Before you start replacing things, put it on jack stands or a lift, pull the wheels, engine/trans undercover if installed, engine tin, maybe even the side skirts, and get some oileater and brushes and go to town. Clean everything spotless, then drive it normally and just monitor it before and after every drive. Then you will see exactly whats leaking. Alot of oil migrates on these cars, making it look worst than it actually is or that something else is the source. Also, if the steering rack was leaking in the past, that oil could be all over the place, making it look like an engine leak.
A 911 should not leak just because it's a 911, regardless of miles. Slightly moist, yes. Actual Drips, no.
This is probably one of the best advice I have received so far. Thank you. What would you use to clean? Just gallons of brake cleaner?

I receive the car this Friday.

The car runs and drives fine (I was told).

It leaks less than a quarter of oil every 4 months.

Things that I know:
- Steering rack, clutch and flywheel, Spark plugs, Valve cover gaskets (I think) replaced in December 2016.
- Leaking coming from the oil cooler, possibly needing replacement (according to mechanic).

Of course I have already bought (don't kill me ):
- Replica Cup 17
- Solid Engine mounts

As Derek said, before I begin with the parts hoarding process I just want to drive the car and see what it breaks. That's the approach I took with my NSX, getting upgrades if possible when a part needed replacement.

I just hope the motor doesn't blow up.
Old 05-04-2017, 11:05 AM
Earlydays
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

It leaks less than a quarter of oil every 4 months.......
It's probably burning oil, not leaking out a quart!
Porsche says 1 quart per 600 - 1000 miles is not abnormal oil consumption.
Old 05-04-2017, 11:54 AM
Derek911
Racer

Don't use brake cleaner, that may be a bit harsh since you may use this in the engine bay. Look up "oil eater." It comes in a concentrate and you dilute it with water in a sprayer. I used a small hand held pump sprayer. Oil eater and nylon and steel brushes and the car will look brand new, guaranteed. It even took off the baked on oil from the heat exchangers. My heat exchangers look new. The bottom of my car is clean. Engine case, tranny, new valve covers, the oil eater on a wrag even cleaned grime off the plug wires so they look new now. You need to either have a catch pan or do it in a place that can get dirty, because it is a messy job. Oil eater, spray can engine degreaser, various brushes, and water. Instead of a garden hose spraying everything I just put clean water in the pump sprayer and rinsed everything off. When everything is clean, drive it and monitor it and do your small maintenance jobs as needed. Oil, plugs, wires, caps, rotors, filters, valve covers and gaskets, paint engine tin, etc, and address oil leaks as you see them.
Old 05-04-2017, 11:57 AM
Derek911
Racer

Amazon Amazon
oil eater

Amazon Amazon
sprayer
Old 05-04-2017, 03:38 PM
HDA
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Derek911
Don't use brake cleaner, that may be a bit harsh since you may use this in the engine bay. Look up "oil eater." It comes in a concentrate and you dilute it with water in a sprayer. I used a small hand held pump sprayer. Oil eater and nylon and steel brushes and the car will look brand new, guaranteed. It even took off the baked on oil from the heat exchangers. My heat exchangers look new. The bottom of my car is clean. Engine case, tranny, new valve covers, the oil eater on a wrag even cleaned grime off the plug wires so they look new now. You need to either have a catch pan or do it in a place that can get dirty, because it is a messy job. Oil eater, spray can engine degreaser, various brushes, and water. Instead of a garden hose spraying everything I just put clean water in the pump sprayer and rinsed everything off. When everything is clean, drive it and monitor it and do your small maintenance jobs as needed. Oil, plugs, wires, caps, rotors, filters, valve covers and gaskets, paint engine tin, etc, and address oil leaks as you see them.
You da man: thanks!

Would this technique be better than steam cleaning in your opinion?

Minus 1 day to her arrival!
Old 05-04-2017, 03:58 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Of course I have already bought (don't kill me ):
- Replica Cup 17
- Solid Engine mounts
Solid is too rigid for the street. You probably meant something else... Which motor mounts did you purchase?

Quick Reply: New "Texan" owner of a 150k+ miles 964