Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Which color would you order for your .2 GT3?
Black
2.95%
White
8.86%
Guards Red
7.99%
Racing Yellow
2.84%
Carrara White Metallic
3.28%
Jet Black Metallic
1.53%
Graphite Blue Metallic
6.24%
Rhodium Silver
1.53%
Sapphire Blue Metallic
5.25%
Agate Grey Metallic
3.39%
GT Silver Metallic
11.49%
Carmine Red
5.47%
Chalk / Crayon
12.36%
Lava Orange
2.63%
Miami Blue
10.61%
PTS, or take this allocation and shove it!
13.57%
Voters: 914. You may not vote on this poll

.2 GT3 COLOR POLL

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2017, 04:07 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 917 Posts

I spent some time over the weekend looking at all the approved PTS blues for the 991.. once I made a list I figured I'd bother with trying to actually find a reliable picture to represent the color.. many hours later.. I had a file. No point in holding on to the file when others might find it useful.

so.. here is the pdf file. This represents all the 991 series approved PTS blue names and color codes, and pics representing them where possible. Sometimes i could tell google was wrong with the picture, and I would look for multiple confirmations, where i couldn't confirm the color I left the picture off. Tried my best, no guarantees.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5...i1lT1pxc1o4NUk

my favorites (if the colors online are accurate are:
AQUA BLUE: (basically what we wish sapphire actually were)

GOLF BLUE:

DARK SEA BLUE: (this might be the one for me if going PTS)

NIGHT BLUE METALLIC: (no idea if this is accurately representeted... was very hard)

Last edited by CAlexio; 04-13-2017 at 07:26 PM.
Old 04-13-2017, 04:13 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,657 Likes on 770 Posts

Thanks!

I'll take the Golf blue
Some beautiful cars!
Old 04-13-2017, 08:48 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Aqua blue is my fav metallic. Golf blue is also a gorgeous non metallic.
Old 04-15-2017, 07:18 AM
OG911
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile

[QUOTE=Lapis;14025764]Black boring and too hard to keep clean, whether regular or Ker Black Metallic.

White boring, unless dressed up with some graphics. When they're done right, can look fantastic.

If you you must have white without graphics CWM has more punch. But it's a little common of Turbos and convertible cruisers.

Rhodium silver too cold.

GT Silver very classy and easy to keep clean looking. Also works well with graphics (maybe I'm biased...) but a lot of silver cars out there. Maybe too safe?

Agate too brown in the sun, kind of boring me-too otherwise. To many Metallic grey cars on the road these days.

Racing yellow a bit too glaring. I prefer Speed Yellow or Signal Yellow, but That would be PTS.

Lava Orange also a bit polarizing and loud.

Guards red classic and looks great on the launc car. Maybe it will be too common because of that?

carmine red looked great on Cayman GTS and GT4 but somehow I'm just not feeling it on the 911.

Miami Blue just isn't as attractive as Mexico or Riviera and looks too turquoise greenish in person.

Chalk/crayon very interesting especially with black accents on door handles and mirrors. Has that dipped look. Need to see in person though.

Sapphire Blue is pretty. My GT4 was SBM and looked good. But it's pretty common on lesser 911's and Caymans and Boxsters.

I guess I wish Porsche would have made a couple colors unique to the new GT3 without PTS. Maybe a good bright and dark green like Gelbrun and Irish.[/QUOT

Hi there

Thank you for the most sensible analysis of colours. I got a white Carrera S and jet black cayanne GTS. Finally got an allocation for a GT3. Colours are doing my head. I am seriosly lost

What would you recommend of the this short list
1. Gaurds red
2. Crayon
3. Miami Blue?

With black led headlights and black wheels

Thanks alot for any advise you could help me with
Old 04-15-2017, 10:35 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Great color analysis up there. ^^^^^^

if no PTS, I'm considering having a black car for first time in my life, jet black to be specific as it really looks beautiful in sunlight...WITH THE CAVEAT.. that I'll condom wrap it which has the amazing effect of turning black into a low-maintenance color. All the swirl mark issues disappear, it stays shiny, and is super easy to wash. Think of the condom wrap as the PTS fee to have the most beautiful GT3 possible with none of the normal black downsides.

Then you can get all fancy with the black wheels with red pinstripe too! Because nothing but nothing beats a perfectly clean shiny black car (if you can keep it that way for more than an hour)
Attached Images  
Old 04-15-2017, 11:59 AM
chaosoul
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio

if no PTS, I'm considering having a black car for first time in my life, jet black to be specific as it really looks beautiful in sunlight...WITH THE CAVEAT.. that I'll condom wrap it which has the amazing effect of turning black into a low-maintenance color. All the swirl mark issues disappear, it stays shiny, and is super easy to wash. Think of the condom wrap as the PTS fee to have the most beautiful GT3 possible with none of the normal black downsides.

Then you can get all fancy with the black wheels with red pinstripe too! Because nothing but nothing beats a perfectly clean shiny black car (if you can keep it that way for more than an hour)

Rumors says one person has kept their black car clean for over 200 minutes before.
Old 04-15-2017, 01:53 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 1,026 Likes on 479 Posts

Black black looks so sexy, and I condom wrap my entire cars as well as you're right it does make life WAY easier. However, dust will still show like a complete mother -fr within a half a day (or less if you're around pollen) and while it's easier to clean because 95 percent of the time you can just wipe it down its still an utter PITA. But DAMN it looks good!

Last edited by sechsgang; 04-15-2017 at 08:43 PM.
Old 04-15-2017, 04:30 PM
BrntRubber
Three Wheelin'

Received 250 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
I am going to summarize this thread up until now. Every freakin color looks great. There is not one single color that I would regret. Now- you have to decide which color in 6 months would bore you less

My only problem is that to go with the Satin Aluminum wheels you need either Agate of Black. - I am really digging the Satin aluminum

Maybe I am wrong and/or need convincing but with all the black accents on this iteration we are being forced in to the darker wheels- No!!??
Black on satin is sexy as hell with yellow callipers. Why is black so unpopular?

What is the best Porsche true Black (don't like grey tones)
Originally Posted by bronson7
Jimmy, I really like the Satin Aluminum on the black....go for it.
Yeah buddy
Old 04-15-2017, 04:47 PM
GT3 KSA
Three Wheelin'

Received 175 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by BrntRubber
Black on satin is sexy as hell with yellow callipers. Why is black so unpopular?

What is the best Porsche true Black (don't like grey tones)Yeah buddy
The regular black, the jet black metallic is the metallic black but the other one is flat black
Old 04-15-2017, 09:31 PM
porscheflat6
Drifting

Received 225 Likes on 147 Posts

I spent some time over the weekend looking at all the approved PTS blues for the 991.. once I made a list I figured I'd bother with trying to actually find a reliable picture to represent the color.. many hours later.. I had a file. No point in holding on to the file when others might find it useful.

so.. here is the pdf file. This represents all the 991 series approved PTS blue names and color codes, and pics representing them where possible. Sometimes i could tell google was wrong with the picture, and I would look for multiple confirmations, where i couldn't confirm the color I left the picture off. Tried my best, no guarantees.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5...i1lT1pxc1o4NUk

my favorites (if the colors online are accurate are:
AQUA BLUE: (basically what we wish sapphire actually were)

GOLF BLUE:

DARK SEA BLUE: (this might be the one for me if going PTS)

NIGHT BLUE METALLIC: (no idea if this is accurately representeted... was very hard)
I would take any of these but my favorite is colbalt blue!
Old 04-16-2017, 10:08 PM
mass27
Burning Brakes

Received 282 Likes on 120 Posts

[QUOTE=OG911;14112859]
Originally Posted by Lapis
Black boring and too hard to keep clean, whether regular or Ker Black Metallic.

White boring, unless dressed up with some graphics. When they're done right, can look fantastic.

If you you must have white without graphics CWM has more punch. But it's a little common of Turbos and convertible cruisers.

Rhodium silver too cold.

GT Silver very classy and easy to keep clean looking. Also works well with graphics (maybe I'm biased...) but a lot of silver cars out there. Maybe too safe?

Agate too brown in the sun, kind of boring me-too otherwise. To many Metallic grey cars on the road these days.

Racing yellow a bit too glaring. I prefer Speed Yellow or Signal Yellow, but That would be PTS.

Lava Orange also a bit polarizing and loud.

Guards red classic and looks great on the launc car. Maybe it will be too common because of that?

carmine red looked great on Cayman GTS and GT4 but somehow I'm just not feeling it on the 911.

Miami Blue just isn't as attractive as Mexico or Riviera and looks too turquoise greenish in person.

Chalk/crayon very interesting especially with black accents on door handles and mirrors. Has that dipped look. Need to see in person though.

Sapphire Blue is pretty. My GT4 was SBM and looked good. But it's pretty common on lesser 911's and Caymans and Boxsters.

I guess I wish Porsche would have made a couple colors unique to the new GT3 without PTS. Maybe a good bright and dark green like Gelbrun and Irish.[/QUOT
Great analysis - Let's take this one step further. What color wheels look best on what paint colors.
Old 04-16-2017, 10:51 PM
Lapis
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 41 Posts

[QUOTE=mass27;14116058]
Originally Posted by OG911

Great analysis - Let's take this one step further. What color wheels look best on what paint colors.
loaded question. Such a matter of personal taste.

Having said that, I do think that the standard silver wheels are the least attractive option for any color. That is, if you want a bright silver wheel, the brighter "satin aluminum" looks better in all cases I can think of, just costs extra.

Black wheels with red stripe works on cars painted red, black, silver, chalk, or white. Seems to look especially badass on black car, I think.

The satin aluminum wheels look especially good on darker color cars (sapphire Blue, black, carmine red), but also work well on even White and on most other colors except the silvers (GT and Rhodium) on which they neither match nor offer contrast.

Plain black wheels work on all colors, but I don't like them with darker colors and also feel they've been overdone of late. I like contrast.

Platinum wheels (same as was standard on .1 GT3) look good on whites, silvers, blue, black, reds, yellow, really everything. They're classic and don't shout too much. Probably the safest choice. They also hide brake dust best.

Speaking of brake dust, I'd be more inclined to get the satin aluminum wheels in combination with PCCBs since I assume they would be most suceptible to brake dust of all.
Old 04-17-2017, 06:16 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

A chalk panamera came to a dealer 50 miles out from me, and because I'm slightly insane I went to check it out. The color is AWESOME and a total chameleon. It's a legitimate hybrid btw sport classic and fashion grey in person. Here are a couple shots. The one from a distance with shadows, the other right next to the paint, and then I brightened up the picture (did NOT change saturation or warmth settings). These pics were taken with an iPhone 6s if that matters for your guys judgement.

and the slightly corrected version

Old 04-17-2017, 07:01 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

did you like it? would you get it on the gt3?
Old 04-17-2017, 07:05 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

did you like it? would you get it on the gt3?
It will be the color 991.2 gt3 I end up with, but thats actually not by choosing (a friend is selling me his when he's finished with it and that was his choice). However, I AM 100 percent ordering my 991.2 GTS in this color yes. I will say it does better with black accents than without, so make sure you have a healthy dose of that should you go with it. The hard part honestly are the wheels. For a 991.2 gt3 the oem finish (not black or silver, but the platinum anodized look) is going to ROCK. For me and the GTS Ill have to figure something out as I'm not sure if satin black looks the best with that color...gloss black or the regular Turbo S wheel would look hot as hell though.

Quick Reply: .2 GT3 COLOR POLL