Sponsored by:

Question: Sunroof Delete

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2017, 04:12 PM
eddieb4
Rennlist Member

Received 199 Likes on 117 Posts
Default Question: Sunroof Delete

I'm in the process of doing a complete repaint with a sunroof delete. Body shop wants to reinstall sunroof substructure for strength but that defeats some of the reasons for deleted namely head room clearance and weight.
Car will only be D.E.'d occasionally so it's not a race car. Thoughts? Anyone removed everything and welded in the panel and been satisfied over the long haul regarding paint integrity etc?
Old 04-05-2017, 04:58 PM
DTMLGND
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I believe Larry Kosilla from AMMONYC just did the exact same thing you are attempting to do!! His 964 is a track car as well.
Try www.ammonyc.com to contact directly.
Old 04-05-2017, 08:59 PM
porsche mania
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had mine done three years and 20k miles ago. I had all the sunroof removed, ground round the opening, cut the tabs on the sides and peeled it all out then had a panel welded in. It looks great and there is absolutely no way to tell it ever had a sunroof. As long as your tactical when you weld the panel up the tension comes back into the roof.
Old 04-05-2017, 09:01 PM
porsche mania
Pro

Name:  IMAG3366_zpsqzspsa4i.jpg
Views: 6114
Size:  283.6 KB
Old 04-05-2017, 09:20 PM
993PET
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

If your using the Fenn Lane panel and a good body shop (welder) you should be able to ditch everything associated with the sunroof.

JF
Old 04-05-2017, 10:32 PM
Vancleef
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

If you're removing the sunroof for weight I'd say go for a carbon fiber top vs welding. I have this on my list and found a good source for Carbon fiber on pelican parts forums.

No affiliation http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...-skins-fs.html
Old 04-06-2017, 07:58 AM
porsche mania
Pro

Originally Posted by 993PET
If your using the Fenn Lane panel and a good body shop (welder) you should be able to ditch everything associated with the sunroof.

JF
It was a fenn lane Lane panel I used. Not as bad a job as many had made it out to be, getting the headlining perfect was another story! Took me a while to realise both the inner and outer skins are joined all the way around the opening! It's also a good opportunity to strip and paint both window surrounds and the front scuttle.
Old 04-06-2017, 08:02 AM
porsche mania
Pro

Originally Posted by Vancleef
If you're removing the sunroof for weight I'd say go for a carbon fiber top vs welding. I have this on my list and found a good source for Carbon fiber on pelican parts forums.

No affiliation http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...-skins-fs.html
I looked at a similar thing by lws in the UK. If i hadn't been fitting a headliner back in the car then I would probably have gone this was but there is no doubt that this is a much more complicated fit and couldn't get a straight answer whether there would be a lip on the pillars where it's bonded on, fine on a track only car but not on mine.
Old 04-06-2017, 09:26 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,054 Likes on 1,234 Posts

Second the Fenn lane panel. It was a bit of work but worth it. The roof is a flimsy piece when the sunroof is removed. We welded the entire gap and even abusing the car on it on track it will never be a problem.

Worth the money and they give you the templet to make sure the roof is curved properly which is important.
Attached Images  
Old 04-06-2017, 11:12 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by Vancleef
If you're removing the sunroof for weight I'd say go for a carbon fiber top vs welding...
Don't you need a roll bar with carbon roof? Rollover protection...

Originally Posted by cobalt
Second the Fenn lane panel. It was a bit of work but worth it. The roof is a flimsy piece when the sunroof is removed. We welded the entire gap and even abusing the car on it on track it will never be a problem.

Worth the money and they give you the templet to make sure the roof is curved properly which is important.
Good to know a templet is included.

OP,

Also a good past thread: https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...e-sunroof.html

Have you thought about the rain gutter delete option?

Or, a flush rear window?

Old 04-06-2017, 07:23 PM
FOS373
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

I really want to follow your lead on the sunroof delete. Thought has crossed my mind lots of times - I never use the sunroof and the exterior view of the frame is not aesthetic to me. Wonder about impact on value? I'm sure a quality job will have little impact if any.
Old 04-07-2017, 08:29 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,054 Likes on 1,234 Posts

Originally Posted by fosbibr
I really want to follow your lead on the sunroof delete. Thought has crossed my mind lots of times - I never use the sunroof and the exterior view of the frame is not aesthetic to me. Wonder about impact on value? I'm sure a quality job will have little impact if any.
The cost is somewhat significant to do a sunroof delete properly. Although some say they can do a headliner without popping the windows but I have never seen one that meets my standards done that way. Welding up the roof properly is a lengthy process and then you have to paint and the headliner is a lot of work. If you're handy you can do some of the work by yourself but doing a headliner properly without over stretching the material is something usually not done properly the first time.

Assuming no broken windshield and all the rest involved you will never see that money when you go to sell. Then no doubt it all depends on how factory the finished product looks.

I also would not consider anything but a metal panel welded in place unless you plan to install a roll bar or cage. Even as a dedicated track car with full cage I went with the Fenn lane panel because no matter how nice the job the glass or CF panels never look perfect to my eye. I am a bit picky though. Another concern is depending on the replacement panel used these can buffet in the wind and cause noise in the cabin.

Just removing the sunroof saved something like 54 pounds IIRC not sure what a glass roof will save but it wasn't enough for me considering the cons.
Old 04-08-2017, 06:02 AM
freedman
Three Wheelin'

+1 for the Fenn Lane panel.

Perfect fit and totally imperceptible from a factory non sunroof car, as long as fitted by a competent body shop

Regarding the headliner. I used lightweight felt and glued to the inner roof inside the inner frame, similar to the 911 R, pretty simple job
Old 04-11-2017, 04:22 PM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by freedman
+1 for the Fenn Lane panel.

Perfect fit and totally imperceptible from a factory non sunroof car, as long as fitted by a competent body shop

Regarding the headliner. I used lightweight felt and glued to the inner roof inside the inner frame, similar to the 911 R, pretty simple job
that approach sounds solid Freed ... can you post some pics of the inside roof lining?

or is it very much like this? (with neater edges )

Quick Reply: Question: Sunroof Delete