Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: You own a .1 GT3 and are buying a .2 GT3, manual or PDK?
Manual
37.85%
PDK
52.54%
Never owned a PDK GT3 and PDK owners should be shot by ISIS
9.60%
Voters: 177. You may not vote on this poll

Twist: Manual vs. PDK Poll for actual GT3-PDK owners

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2017, 11:53 AM
bigmacsmallfries
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow, this is a pretty cool poll. 1/3 of current GT3 PDK owners want the manual back. That's pretty awesome, I find also myself in a world where the is DCT being forced upon me. I'm collecting manuals as I don't know know when I'll eventually start to enjoy the DCTs or want one and it's clear they're taking over along with fast shifting autos.
Old 03-30-2017, 11:54 AM
ranger22
Rennlist Member

Received 363 Likes on 205 Posts

Ortho, my last reply was not directed at you.

0.3 seconds a lap for an expert is huge. Thats the difference between winning and losing!

I have friends that driver "lesser" cars than I but are better drivers. They enjoy going to the track with me and driving the tires off their cars trying to keep up. Similarly, my ancient GT3 is the lesser to the 991, which makes them fun targets to chase. For the 991.2, the manual will be the slight handicap to keep it fun.

I really don't want to derail this thread away from the original purpose anymore. I think we've both said our parts, but I defer the last word to anyone who wants to reply again.

At least we are lucky enough to be able to enjoy these cars so much!
Old 03-30-2017, 11:55 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,784 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Old 03-30-2017, 12:30 PM
996SPECticle
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by robmypro
Makes me think which beats the snot out of the other...can one repeatedly whip on the other, let someone else whip on it a while then rejoin the beatdown after catching your breath ...Has anyone in this thread said "I'll take whichever is fastest?"
Old 03-30-2017, 01:31 PM
Earlierapex
Three Wheelin'

Received 119 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by ranger22
I stand corrected earlierapex. Porsche says the PDK-S shifts in "less than 100ms." Since you only lose a second in 2 hours of driving due to a manual (upshifts included) you are incredible. No amount of coaching or experience would make me that fast.

What I said was that i miss about 1 shift per day of driving with a manual and that costs me roughly a second. That has nothing to do with a PDK. I also said that I screw up lots of corners - THAT is where you get speed, not shifting. Though if you are losing 8 seconds a lap with poor shifting, you should work on that.

There's really no reason to name call or attack. Your restatement is not even remotely what I said in any respect. Though I do commend your skill in restating what I didn't say and winning the subsequent argument with yourself.

Expertise does not require perfection. I never mentioned perfect anything. In fact, I pointed out the difficulties with many aspects of driving (shifting just isn't that difficult once you know what you are doing).

Ortho was right to call out my example of 30 mins equaling a lap, but my point stands. The difference is enough to be notable over time.
So you weren't completely wrong, you were only partially wrong? The only actual head to head data we have shows that the manual car was faster.

I agree that PDK will be faster over the long haul due to:
1) fewer mistakes
2) less fatigue
3) more gears
4) faster upshifts
5) improvement in steering and braking focus in certain situations
6) ability to hit the redline exactly on every upshift and max acceleration

In general for a fast driver, PDK is not some sort of panacea of improved lap times. It's a marginal benefit, therefore saying the only reason to like PDK is because it is faster is not accurate for many people.

To be honest, I'm not even sure what you're arguing. You seem to be hell bent on convincing folks that people who prefer or even like a manual transmission must be a crappy driver. I'd argue that's some weak self affirmation to make feel better about liking PDK.
To recap, I asked a specific question - if you've owned a GT3 and love manuals (like me), has owning a PDK-s made you less sure about loving a manual?

Neanicu then says that the only reason to like a PDK is because it is faster and a manual is always more fun. I countered (and we have had a nice, gentlemanly, non-name-calling discussion) that a manual isn't that interesting or fun once you've got it mastered, ortho and others agreed. Not sure why that discussion results in impugning my statements with overdoses of sarcasm and comments on my "true" motivations.

I love manuals and PDK, sounds like you do too. It's great to have choices and it's not that hard to discuss it without attacking, impugning or hyperbolizing.
Old 03-30-2017, 01:47 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 953 Likes on 551 Posts

This thread is what powers the internet. Everyone is right and everyone is wrong, and cognitive dissonance is a bitch. I remember arguing that a GT3 was not a GT3 until the motor was used in motorsports.....and look where those owners are now.

I'm just glad there is finally a choice. I want so much to experience 9Krpm from an NA motor that has motorsports ties before I go electric, but I refuse to drive an automatic porsche in a DE...well maybe an SUV in the rain.

If you are going to have an automatic, why even have gearbox? Electric cars are going to be awesome when they work well on the track.
Old 03-30-2017, 01:48 PM
Sloopy
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does anyone think a formula 1 drivers are wanting for a manual in their daily driver?
Old 03-30-2017, 02:08 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 350 Likes on 212 Posts

Earlierapex,I believe you have made your points clear and I personally do not want to argue why one transmission is preferred over the other. I have done that many times in the past and I'm mature enough to discuss the variables of your " equation ". Correct me if I'm wrong,but the way you have addressed your question,you are looking at a simple " equation " where x+y=z. The variables though are multiple : you are addressing your question to very experienced drivers. Well guess what? There aren't many. Whether pdk improves ones lap times over the manual can be discussed ad nauseum,but you have to take into consideration those variables. One thing is for certain : a pdk can be set in auto mode and you'll have one less action to perform,whether you are a professional driver or not,that can't be argued,it's a fact.
Now introduce more variables into your " equation " : are you addressing your question to track drivers alone or you'd like the opinion of current pdk-s owners that are using their cars for other purposes? Because let me tell you : there's a vast majority that are using a GT3 for canyon carving,grocery getter,DD,C&C,road trip etc. Believe it or not,the percentage of exclusive track drivers is very very small...almost insignificant.

Anyway...just my 2 c...
Old 03-30-2017, 02:22 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,784 Likes on 1,027 Posts

There's no right or wrong answer. It's like blondes vs brunettes. Whatever floats your boat. Either way the GT3 is awesome. Best car ever.
Old 03-30-2017, 02:40 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,545 Likes on 5,067 Posts

Originally Posted by Sloopy
Does anyone think a formula 1 drivers are wanting for a manual in their daily driver?
I dunno about a daily driver, but it's one of (if not the) reason that Lewis Hamilton had Pagani custom make a Zonda with a manual transmission just for him.
Old 03-30-2017, 02:48 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 953 Likes on 551 Posts

Originally Posted by Sloopy
http://jalopnik.com/5952924/mario-an...hat-they-drive
Old 03-30-2017, 03:40 PM
Earlierapex
Three Wheelin'

Received 119 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
Earlierapex,I believe you have made your points clear and I personally do not want to argue why one transmission is preferred over the other.
Good discussion. I didn't mean to make it an argument either. Thanks for staying polite.

It's great to have both options, and the fact that 2/3rds of current GT3 drivers would reorder PDK is really surprising. You have to assume these are hard-core sportscar guys that actually enjoy a (cough cough) automatic...

Personally, I like driving on the track because you can't experience the essence of these incredible machines on the street without risking life and limb, and I think I'll always have a track car that is PDK now. But not because it's faster, I like it because it frees up a bit of brain power to work on the true essence of driving - corner execution - which is ever elusive and requires all the brainpower my little squirrel brain can muster.

And now I can allocate squirrel power to a whole new skill - left foot braking...
Old 03-30-2017, 04:39 PM
Just in time
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

It all comes down to personal choice. At Daytona Porsche assembled their GTLM drivers for some Q&A. Here we are in love with our GT3/RS but hear this, the group was asked what P car they would drive. Almost unanimous answer: Turbo S, the ones that did not, Cayenne Turbo. Go figure. It's all about personal choice.
Old 03-30-2017, 05:13 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 350 Likes on 212 Posts

What race car drivers prefer and drive is pretty much irrelevant to me :

1) I'm not a race car driver.
2) If I race all day I want to be chauffeured somewhere,not necessarily be stuck in traffic with a manual gearbox.
3) If I've been with blondes all my life,give me a hot brunette and I'll fall in love.
Old 03-30-2017, 05:19 PM
tqevo
Pro

Received 150 Likes on 82 Posts

Blondes are fine as long as the carpet matches the curtains

Quick Reply: Twist: Manual vs. PDK Poll for actual GT3-PDK owners