Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: You own a .1 GT3 and are buying a .2 GT3, manual or PDK?
Manual
37.85%
PDK
52.54%
Never owned a PDK GT3 and PDK owners should be shot by ISIS
9.60%
Voters: 177. You may not vote on this poll

Twist: Manual vs. PDK Poll for actual GT3-PDK owners

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2017, 01:41 AM
Hams955
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I owned my GT4 before my GT3 and bought the GT4 exclusively for track duty. Then I bought a GT3 for occasional DD use and just for fun as my GT4 is track only. This is my first PDK car and I have to say it really wows me.

My new car has already been ordered and I went PDK. I just fell in love with the experience of the GT3.

I think both cars will be great and I am excited there is a choice now. For me I just really enjoy the car as a PDK and looking forward to sticking with that option. I have my manual track toy and fills that bucket for me.

- Chris.
Old 03-31-2017, 07:28 AM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
3) If I've been with blondes all my life,give me a hot brunette and I'll fall in love.
Some relevant pics would really brighten up this thread for me :-)
Old 03-31-2017, 09:37 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 350 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by bccars
Some relevant pics would really brighten up this thread for me :-)
Here's 2. You pick.
Attached Images   
Old 03-31-2017, 12:15 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,784 Likes on 1,027 Posts

I am definitely a brunette guy.
Old 03-31-2017, 12:51 PM
RealityGT
Drifting

Received 239 Likes on 139 Posts

^+1..
Old 03-31-2017, 03:15 PM
VECCA
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by robmypro
I am definitely a brunette guy.
YEP!
Old 03-31-2017, 10:19 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ah, what the hell...me too
Old 04-01-2017, 05:01 AM
randr
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Interesting thread - I'm in the PDK camp and find Orthojoes comments generally mirror my own observations (I have been able to heel and toe etc for over thirty years)

(1) First and foremost - the pedal dance becomes just that, a dance across the pedals which is largely instinctive and mainly controlled by muscle memory. I would add the type of driving you do governs the pedal placement. Pedal placement in higher performance cars is more toward a "track like" set up which often has the brake pedal raised a bit - making it non-ideal for road heel and toe. Flat shifting is dependant on many things - importantly the quality and ease of use of the box (plus software over rides). Short shifting is a non issue in PDK cars.

(2) In something like a 10 lap sprint the difference appears to be about .5s per lap overall (but with an asymmetric differential e.g. manual times are closer over the first few laps but blow out over the last few).

(3) Over longer events it appears to me, that one is able to maintain concentration for longer periods and maintain entry peed and corner line accuracy longer

(4) At a recent hill climb I attended - the times were aggregated over 4 runs (approx 52s per climb) - I estimate, under real world conditions - using SC and LC - I was putting between 0.5s to 1s per launch on similar P/W ratio manual cars. Huge difference given the spread for the top 20 entrants was about 2 to 3 seconds per run.

(5) I have generally noticed that manuals tend to hit the sand more than non-manuals - especially at twilight/dark - just an observation e.g. for whatever reason PDK equipped cars tend to nail the corner entry better than manuals

These are just observations, I suspect others (who track their cars) may have made similar observations.

I also own a manual as well as two PDKs.......(I note the PDK:M ratio is 2:1).

Last edited by randr; 04-01-2017 at 05:26 AM.
Old 04-01-2017, 05:58 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,058 Likes on 578 Posts

I love leaving these threads alone and then reading the whole thing straight through for 9 pages. Guys get very upset and offended!!

I've got my 911R and if that is the gearbox in the new car vs the GT3RS PDK-S I sold...

I'd pick the manual for how I will use the car.

My reasoning: I tend to text and drive, email and drive, dictate and drive, FaceTime and drive. For me the manual keeps me more involved. AND- the 911R gearbox is awesome as I have stated on other threads.

The older 997RS gearbox was much more of a "manly hardcore" type shift and this is much more "surgical". They are both awesome but the 997 was fun because you felt like it was indestructible and the new one is good because it feels so precise and refined. Totally different animals (or like a perfectly charred med-rare ribeye vs a soft and fluffy med rare filet).

I won't go down the path of making anything resembling a didactic comment against anyone. BUT I will say when you race you want it to be difficult. Because if it is difficult for everyone, you trust your skill and cunning to outwit and outdrive the other guy. Then you can really bask in it afterwards.

PDK-S or DSG type cars can still be super engaging. My LT spider is still the best paddle car I have ever driven. Brings joy. But a GT3 is just a superfluous thing compared to that, or my CGT which feel more essential to me.

Just get whatever will bring you joy, you paid for it.
Old 04-01-2017, 06:58 AM
Oldmxnut
Burning Brakes

Received 155 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by tqevo
Blondes are fine as long as the carpet matches the curtains
Most blondes these days don't have a carpet... I keep exploring but cannot fine one with carpet..

Last edited by Oldmxnut; 04-01-2017 at 07:17 AM.
Old 04-01-2017, 07:13 AM
Oldmxnut
Burning Brakes

Received 155 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Oldmxnut
The simple truth is ... as a 20 something blonde lass in a distractingly short skirt informed me, being taken for a drive in a manual sports car " feels sooo sexy and exciting " and "anyone can drive an auto" quote,.. un quote. When I queried a little more as to why?, apparently because it "looks and feels good to watch " .. quote .. Un quote !

And we all know we secretly value the appreciative opinions of 20 (and 30, 40 ) something hot blondes.
Per request.. a quick pic of the blonde in question who would prefer we get a manual in the GT3.2... Admittedly if she said she preferred an 18 speed road ranger gear box.. Id get that...

Old 04-01-2017, 09:10 AM
RealityGT
Drifting

Received 239 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
I love leaving these threads alone and then reading the whole thing straight through for 9 pages. Guys get very upset and offended!!

I've got my 911R and if that is the gearbox in the new car vs the GT3RS PDK-S I sold...

I'd pick the manual for how I will use the car.

My reasoning: I tend to text and drive, email and drive, dictate and drive, FaceTime and drive. For me the manual keeps me more involved. AND- the 911R gearbox is awesome as I have stated on other threads.

The older 997RS gearbox was much more of a "manly hardcore" type shift and this is much more "surgical". They are both awesome but the 997 was fun because you felt like it was indestructible and the new one is good because it feels so precise and refined. Totally different animals (or like a perfectly charred med-rare ribeye vs a soft and fluffy med rare filet).

I won't go down the path of making anything resembling a didactic comment against anyone. BUT I will say when you race you want it to be difficult. Because if it is difficult for everyone, you trust your skill and cunning to outwit and outdrive the other guy. Then you can really bask in it afterwards.

PDK-S or DSG type cars can still be super engaging. My LT spider is still the best paddle car I have ever driven. Brings joy. But a GT3 is just a superfluous thing compared to that, or my CGT which feel more essential to me.

Just get whatever will bring you joy, you paid for it.
Thank you for your perspective.
Old 04-01-2017, 11:10 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Much like the blonde and brunette, i am pretty sure i would be happy with either manual or PDK. No real way to screw up this car imo.
Old 04-01-2017, 11:55 AM
robmypro
Race Director

This automatic vs manual debate has literally been going on since the automatic hit the scene. And it isn't isolated to Porsche. In the 1980's when I was into muscle cars and street racing, you had the same camps. We'd cruise Friday and Saturday nights in my Demon looking for chicks and races. A popular spot was the city of Orange, in California. We'd park by the mall, with our hood up, just waiting for someone to come along. They always asked 2 questions. What are you running? Small block. Nitrous? Nope. What I wanted to know was what transmission they were using.

We look back on those days and tend to just glorify the big block cars with the muncie 4 speeds, pistol grip shifting Dodges, etc., but the smart money was usually on the small block automatics, with high reving engines. Less weight was easier to launch. Less chance of blowing a gear, and losing, which literally happened all the time. And much like the PDK, these weren't grandpa's automatic. Hard shifts, reverse valve bodies and high stalls were the norm.

Sure some guys liked the 4 speeds. It just felt more like a race car to them i guess. More traditional. We just wanted to win, and we knew a built automatic in a light car was money. They viewed us as cheaters, and we viewed them as relics.

Not much has changed.
Old 09-05-2017, 11:25 PM
karter34
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Actual owner here

I have chosen the Manual, I will be driving the car on the street and wanted the full Porsche experience of yesterday and today.
I feel as though I will get a more enjoyable experience with a manual box and 500Hp at lower revs.
Of the reviews I have read and seen it seems that you will smile a lot earlier in the rev range with a manual

To quote above....
The PDK is just part of that technological advancement. Of course, the manual in the .2 is a great thing - perhaps the perfect blend of old and new school

So Ill second that....

Quick Reply: Twist: Manual vs. PDK Poll for actual GT3-PDK owners