Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So what does this mean for 991.1 RS??

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2017, 08:00 AM
ericablack36
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting and worthwhile discussion about the economics of Porsche GT market values. A number of people have noted the likely downward pressure on prices as supply of new series two GT cars come to market. However it is worth noting that by offering GT cars with PDK gearboxes for the first time, many new buyers have been attracted to the market which will tend to put upward pressure on prices. It should not be under-estimated how much skill it takes to drive well a pre-991 manual GT car. The PDK GT car by comparison, can be driven and enjoyed by most people. As a consequence, the demand for 991 GT cars has been much stronger than previous models. Whether the supply side or the demand factors prevail when it comes to setting market values, time will tell. The 991.1GT cars are brilliant; no question. However, the perception (real or imagined) of engine reliability may play a role in market values in the long run.
Old 03-19-2017, 08:39 AM
rosenbergendo
Drifting

Received 625 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by ericablack36
Interesting and worthwhile discussion about the economics of Porsche GT market values. A number of people have noted the likely downward pressure on prices as supply of new series two GT cars come to market. However it is worth noting that by offering GT cars with PDK gearboxes for the first time, many new buyers have been attracted to the market which will tend to put upward pressure on prices. It should not be under-estimated how much skill it takes to drive well a pre-991 manual GT car. The PDK GT car by comparison, can be driven and enjoyed by most people. As a consequence, the demand for 991 GT cars has been much stronger than previous models. Whether the supply side or the demand factors prevail when it comes to setting market values, time will tell. The 991.1GT cars are brilliant; no question. However, the perception (real or imagined) of engine reliability may play a role in market values in the long run.
This actually is very true and could put more people in the "game" that can afford the car but previously would've never looked at an RS. My neighbor for instance who has a F-car loves my RS and now that it is PDK is after one. He wouldn't have been a buyer with the 997 cars!
Old 03-19-2017, 10:09 AM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rosenbergendo
This actually is very true and could put more people in the "game" that can afford the car but previously would've never looked at an RS. My neighbor for instance who has a F-car loves my RS and now that it is PDK is after one. He wouldn't have been a buyer with the 997 cars!
I agree. Then there's the ones who always had a MT, proceeded to skip the 991.1 gt3/rs due to no MT and now want back into the MT .2gt3.
Old 03-19-2017, 10:09 AM
Ddesimone17
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Now knowing what we know , If you were buying an RS today how much would you be willing to pay in regard to msrp?
Old 03-19-2017, 10:21 AM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,085 Likes on 621 Posts

Originally Posted by Ddesimone17
Now knowing what we know , If you were buying an RS today how much would you be willing to pay in regard to msrp?
By "knowing what we know" do you mean the available information on the .2 GT3? Or something else?

Is the question designed to see how much prices on RS have dropped? Because I don't think what theoretical buyers (most of whom have never bought an RS) would say on RL they would pay means much. I think a better indicator would be to see what people have actually paid, offered (and owners have rejected) and to a lesser extent the asking prices. Those things are data, posts on RL are just that - posts on RL.
Old 03-19-2017, 11:12 AM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,093 Likes on 1,009 Posts

Originally Posted by Ddesimone17
I would have paid the same with no issues or concerns what I paid because I absolutely enjoy the car for what I paid. Actually I can sell the car for what I paid now, and I have access to a GT3 allocation at MSRP which I will decline. I will only sell my car for another RS, and have zero concerns about the engine or resale.

Its a car I love to drive and nothing more. Buying a faster car of any brand is like buying a new set of clubs ever year, and your game does not change. The key is you like what you buy, and what you paid for it.
Old 03-19-2017, 11:24 AM
Ddesimone17
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tstafford
By "knowing what we know" do you mean the available information on the .2 GT3? Or something else?

Is the question designed to see how much prices on RS have dropped? Because I don't think what theoretical buyers (most of whom have never bought an RS) would say on RL they would pay means much. I think a better indicator would be to see what people have actually paid, offered (and owners have rejected) and to a lesser extent the asking prices. Those things are data, posts on RL are just that - posts on RL.
Correct knowing info new gt3
Old 03-19-2017, 11:24 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,631 Likes on 758 Posts

Have been looking for an MSRP RS, even with a few miles are not selling for MSRP, still $20k+ over roughly and that's for high MSRP cars. it's still $225K for an RS.

Production is stopped, available RS will dry up quickly the coming month in this economy.

If you want a GT car this year with warranty you have the choice of a GT4 If you must have a manual, around MSRP with a few miles.
991.1GT3 around MSRP unless high mileage
Pay over MSRP for an RS.

For 2018, who knows?
we will see about the economy and with the GT2RS arriving and plenty of used GT4, 991.1 GT3 and some 991RS that still have some warranty left coming available on top of the first big wave of 991.2 GT3 actually at dealers and flippers hands spring 2018..

In 2019 the 992 will show up along with the LE NA GT3RS last of the 991.

It will then just be used GT4's and 991's until the 992 GT3 arrives 2021.

Exactly the same as the 997 GT3 RS and GT2 RS playbook me thinks.
Old 03-19-2017, 11:27 AM
WernerE
Three Wheelin'

Received 294 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Mika911
I have a 991RS and have been offered a slot for a new 991.2GT3. There isn't a fibre in my body that would consider swapping the RS for the GT3, as the latter simply has no visual drama. For me it's a car that people would add to a collection as more of a road tour and occasional road use car.
Depends on your taste for visual drama. I prefer this kind:

Old 03-19-2017, 12:43 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 132 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by ericablack36
Great point^

More demand for gt cars with PDK and that you can live with the car on a day to day basis.
That's one of the reasons they produced way more than previous gt models.

Time will tell if there is enough demand for the cars not to depreciate?
Old 03-19-2017, 01:08 PM
nuvolari612
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Have been looking for an MSRP RS, even with a few miles are not selling for MSRP, still $20k+ over roughly and that's for high MSRP cars. it's still $225K for an RS.

Production is stopped, available RS will dry up quickly the coming month in this economy.

If you want a GT car this year with warranty you have the choice of a GT4 If you must have a manual, around MSRP with a few miles.
991.1GT3 around MSRP unless high mileage
Pay over MSRP for an RS.

For 2018, who knows?
we will see about the economy and with the GT2RS arriving and plenty of used GT4, 991.1 GT3 and some 991RS that still have some warranty left coming available on top of the first big wave of 991.2 GT3 actually at dealers and flippers hands spring 2018..

In 2019 the 992 will show up along with the LE NA GT3RS last of the 991.

It will then just be used GT4's and 991's until the 992 GT3 arrives 2021.

You are saying there is another RS in a .2 version NA - I don't see it.

Porsche gets away with a lot when you consider all these slight changes and no real R&D expense.

Admit the RS is a great road car gets but no one outside the Porsche fanatics here can tell these apart and even on track the differences are tightening.

If Porsche wants to compete they need to get out of the NA world asap lingering around placing stickers manuals and a few hp isn't going to get them where they should be. RL members get caught up with Porsche outside people are not impressed given where their competition stands today let alone 2 years from now would be the milk of the decade.
Old 03-19-2017, 01:23 PM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 436 Likes on 262 Posts

^GT2RS
Old 03-19-2017, 01:27 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,943 Likes on 2,800 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Yep, we are on 7 year cycle for each generation. Wash - Rinse - Repeat
Old 03-19-2017, 03:03 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

So if Porsche decides to finish off the GT3RS model and just make the GT2RS, is this too wide of a performance difference to the GT3?
Old 03-19-2017, 03:44 PM
Buenen
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If we learned one thing of the latest 991.2 GT3 announcement it would be that Porsche (AP) respond to market demands very carefully, especially after VW dieselgate. It is not easy to ditch the manual transmission and bring it back in 3 years.

While the majority, if not all, supercar manufacturers are moving away from NA + Manual, Porsche is still offering these options and spent big money on R&D for the new 4.0 engine. This is Porsche's territory. And I don't see them departing for it any time soon.

However, there is a huge gap between the RSR and the competition in GT racing that Porsche cannot deny. They cannot compete any longer without turbocharging the RSR. This opens the doors for GT2 and maybe GT2RS to reclaim the halo car position in Porsche lineup, while continue offering NA GT cars in manual or PDK.

I just hope they provide proper allocation for the GT2 and really make it available to customers without the fuss of small allocations and those flippers. If Ferrari and Lamborghini can do it, sure Porsche can.

Quick Reply: So what does this mean for 991.1 RS??