Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Recommended spacer sizes for a lowered car?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2017, 10:02 PM
coreseller
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by SpeedyS2
Thanks for the input. Your setup certainly looks amazing! Can you share the size/offset of your wheels?

Just another reason to start a "one day I'll get the RUF's" fund... 😄
Sorry for the delay Speedy, I will try to find the measurements tomorrow. IIRC they were standard RUF measurements which were the same as stock OEM wheels for a NB C2 993, I'll do some digging tomorrow......Mark.
Old 03-15-2017, 11:20 PM
Opo
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 76 Posts

I been running 5mm in front 7mm in rears for 6 years on all my 993's and all types or wheels
OEM 993 twist
BBS's
Techarts
Ruf's
Speelines with NO issues ...

Old 03-15-2017, 11:23 PM
coreseller
Rennlist Member

Spent 10 minutes looking around without solid results, not to be a jerk but you're on your own.

I'm sure other Rennlisters will chime in, Sorry but I'm out of the country and have zero time.
Old 03-15-2017, 11:25 PM
coreseller
Rennlist Member

Again.......Opo is the Man!!!
Old 03-16-2017, 10:58 AM
SpeedyC2
Rennlist Member

Received 208 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by coreseller
Spent 10 minutes looking around without solid results, not to be a jerk but you're on your own.

I'm sure other Rennlisters will chime in, Sorry but I'm out of the country and have zero time.
No worries - thanks for looking!
Old 03-16-2017, 12:37 PM
Tlaloc75
Three Wheelin'

Received 147 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by Opo
I been running 5mm in front 7mm in rears for 6 years on all my 993's and all types or wheels
OEM 993 twist
BBS's
Techarts
Ruf's

I have to say, the stance looks really cool with that spacer combination.
Old 03-16-2017, 01:12 PM
coreseller
Rennlist Member

Found it,

Wheel Size :

18x8.5 et 58 front wheels, 18x10 et 66 rear wheels

Tire Size (Mine) :

225/40/18 Fronts, 265/35/18 Rears

Good Luck on the Search.....Mark.
Old 03-16-2017, 03:12 PM
SpeedyC2
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Opo
OEM 993 twist
BBS's
Techarts
Ruf's
Thank you!

I am completely comfortable with spacers in the 5mm - 7 mm range, as they are offered by Porsche for one and I have run them on my Cayman S for 8 years with no issues.

Found it,

Wheel Size :

18x8.5 et 58 front wheels, 18x10 et 66 rear wheels

Tire Size (Mine) :

225/40/18 Fronts, 265/35/18 Rears

Good Luck on the Search.....Mark.
Again, thank you! I really appreciate you taking the time to track this down for me.
Old 03-30-2017, 10:02 PM
BradB
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Opo
OEM 993 twist
BBS's
Techarts
Ruf's
With 5-7mm spacers, can you just use the same OEM studs and nuts?
Old 04-05-2017, 11:49 AM
SpeedyC2
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BradB
I would like to know the answer to this as well. Some spacer manufacturers seems to include longer studs with their 5 mm - 7 mm spacers, while others do not.

I will note the OE 5 mm spacers on my Cayman came with longer lug bolts, so I feel like longer studs would be necessary for the 993 as well. I have not installed studs before, but the process appears to be relatively straight-forward - baring some potential clearance issues.
Old 04-05-2017, 11:54 AM
trophy
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by BradB
Personally, I think a 5mm spacer takes the car beyond where I consider it safe for the number of threads engaged by the lug nut, some will feel it is ok.. a 7mm spacer definitely needs longer studs.

It does depend on the thickness of the flange of the wheel as these are not consistent and can vary by a few mm.
Old 04-05-2017, 04:17 PM
911F1
Rennlist Member

Received 313 Likes on 194 Posts

You can run 3mm spacers all the way around. Plenty of turns on the lug nut and still hubcentric.
Old 04-05-2017, 10:29 PM
Derek911
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This thread is funny. The varying opinions is crazy. No spacers, yes spacers, don't count lug thread rotations, open lug nuts vs closed nuts.
The thing with getting advice from the forum is that everyone is coming from a different perspective. Some people track, some people don't. Some want stock set ups, some want mods and aggressive street set ups, some want performance, some want looks, some people are older, some are younger. Many times, opinions influence answers, and it's not always the right answer. Research will show that many people run spacers, depending on thickness you may need longer lugs installed, and people go that route sometimes. It's always better to have wheels that fit right in the first place, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with running spacers to get the wheel where you want it, for purely looks, not performance. Porsche sells factory 15mm spacers for some cars. Some will frown on that, but refer to the beginning of my rant. I'm in the camp that the wheel should be pushed out closer to the fender, purely for looks.
The science, not the opinion, is that for each size (diameter) lug bolt, there should be a minimum number of turns to ensure adequate hold. If you can't achieve that minimum number of turns, then you require a longer lug. Open lug nuts allow anyone (race officials) to see visually, that the lug is long enough, doesn't make them better than closed nuts. You can't look at a closed nut and see if it's on the lug good enough.

Last edited by Derek911; 04-05-2017 at 11:07 PM.
Old 04-05-2017, 11:38 PM
coreseller
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Derek911
This thread is funny. The varying opinions is crazy. No spacers, yes spacers, don't count lug thread rotations, open lug nuts vs closed nuts.
The thing with getting advice from the forum is that everyone is coming from a different perspective. Some people track, some people don't. Some want stock set ups, some want mods and aggressive street set ups, some want performance, some want looks, some people are older, some are younger. Many times, opinions influence answers, and it's not always the right answer. Research will show that many people run spacers, depending on thickness you may need longer lugs installed, and people go that route sometimes. It's always better to have wheels that fit right in the first place, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with running spacers to get the wheel where you want it, for purely looks, not performance. Porsche sells factory 15mm spacers for some cars. Some will frown on that, but refer to the beginning of my rant. I'm in the camp that the wheel should be pushed out closer to the fender, purely for looks.
The science, not the opinion, is that for each size (diameter) lug bolt, there should be a minimum number of turns to ensure adequate hold. If you can't achieve that minimum number of turns, then you require a longer lug. Open lug nuts allow anyone (race officials) to see visually, that the lug is long enough, doesn't make them better than closed nuts. You can't look at a closed nut and see if it's on the lug good enough.
Case Closed.............
Old 04-06-2017, 10:10 AM
SpeedyC2
Rennlist Member

Case Closed.............
Ha!

I don't mind hearing other perspectives, even if I don't agree with them. I'm fine with making my own decisions. I just like a lot of data. (I'm an engineer.)

I will be using spacers, 5 mm front, 7 mm rear. I was admittedly being a bit lazy asking about whether longer studs are required as opposed to doing more research on my own. As I noted earlier, the OE 5 mm spacers on my Cayman came with longer lug bolts, so I'm pretty sure the same will hold for the 993. I just thought I'd see what others had done first.

In the end, I'll get on the phone or email with a supplier I feel is the best and I'l talk to them about it and decide from there.

Thanks to all for the input!

Quick Reply: Recommended spacer sizes for a lowered car?