Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Classic Radio Navigation System in a 996?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2017, 10:10 AM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,831 Likes on 1,004 Posts

Great work Vandi!!! We really appreciate the write up and it's great to know that the PCR unit can be integrated into the 996. Do you know if the unit supports a pre-amp output similar to the CDR-220? This is important for those that have the "HI-FI" option which includes the door subs.

Also, for those that don't want to spend the $1200.00 price tag of the Porsche Classic Radio. This is an alternative that has all the functionality of the CDR-220, but adds BlueTooth Streaming Music/Phone support as well as USB input for mp3 playback.

One of the best design features is that it has the orange display that matches the LED color of the Porsche dash. But bare in mind, this is not NAV unit (as you can clearly see), but if you want a single-DIN alternative to the CDR series, then this is the one. I'm not 100%, but I believe the unit will also output a pre-amp output (like the CDR-220) to a frunk amp for sub-channel bass.

These unit sell for around $300.00

Old 03-04-2017, 10:46 AM
Astro
Pro

Received 50 Likes on 28 Posts

I think it while it "looks nice", it's not a very practical unit. The nav screen is way too small and by locating it so far down on the dash, it's not easy to see while you're driving. Nice job on the install though.
Old 03-04-2017, 11:02 PM
MoeMonney
Rennlist Member

Received 234 Likes on 129 Posts

Looks great! im thinking of buying one also.

Has the sound quality improved?

How do the bluetooth phone calls sound?

Can you stream music via Bluetooth from your phone?
Old 03-04-2017, 11:10 PM
Vandalizer
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it sounds good. I've had a number of cars with excellent factory systems. I'm very pleased with how it sounds. I'm sure it could be improved with better speakers but it definitely made a noticeable difference. I've only played music by streaming via Bluetooth so far and it works great.

The hvac doesnt look quite as dated in person imo. I'll check on the preamp question as well.

I'll definitely keep everyone posted on what it's like to live with it. Unfortunately since it's march in Wisconsin, it may be a few weeks (or months) before I have an update.
Old 03-04-2017, 11:14 PM
Vandalizer
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Astro
I think it while it "looks nice", it's not a very practical unit. The nav screen is way too small and by locating it so far down on the dash, it's not easy to see while you're driving. Nice job on the install though.
Agreed. But I bought it strictly for looks, improved sound, and Bluetooth. I don't anticipate much use of the Nav. The maps have to be updated manually (and I think purchased) beyond the initial maps that come with it. You can always swap it with the hvac to mount it higher.
Old 03-05-2017, 12:36 AM
JayG
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by b3freak
Great work Vandi!!! We really appreciate the write up and it's great to know that the PCR unit can be integrated into the 996. Do you know if the unit supports a pre-amp output similar to the CDR-220? This is important for those that have the "HI-FI" option which includes the door subs.

Also, for those that don't want to spend the $1200.00 price tag of the Porsche Classic Radio. This is an alternative that has all the functionality of the CDR-220, but adds BlueTooth Streaming Music/Phone support as well as USB input for mp3 playback.

One of the best design features is that it has the orange display that matches the LED color of the Porsche dash. But bare in mind, this is not NAV unit (as you can clearly see), but if you want a single-DIN alternative to the CDR series, then this is the one. I'm not 100%, but I believe the unit will also output a pre-amp output (like the CDR-220) to a frunk amp for sub-channel bass.

I have been looking that unit as well. The reviews I have seen are very good and has a factory look
Old 03-05-2017, 01:15 AM
keviha
Instructor

Received 71 Likes on 33 Posts

Jealous of you guys without MOST....so many more options.
Old 03-06-2017, 02:30 PM
Paul Waterloo
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 143 Posts

I wish the unit had RCA outs so it would make it easier to go into an amp. I am considering this unit also.
Old 03-06-2017, 02:47 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Yea, that would be a perfect replacement if the Conti had simple pre-amp RCA outputs for the frunk amp. Didn't seem like too much to ask from a company that manufactures car sound system.
Old 03-06-2017, 02:48 PM
boingolover
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not 100%, but I believe the unit will also output a pre-amp output (like the CDR-220) to a frunk amp for sub-channel bass.

Unfortunately it does not appear that this unit has preamp outs.

http://www.continental-automotive.co...16UB_OR_en.pdf

Otherwise I'd probably spring for one of these. It looks like it belongs, the price is right, and it has most of the features I'd want.
Old 03-06-2017, 02:51 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Yea, I was hoping it had the same pre-amp outputs similar to the CDR-220 which are located on socket C1 (top left). It would be great if someone from the Conti group respond to this question.

Old 03-06-2017, 02:58 PM
boingolover
Instructor

Yea, I was hoping it had the same pre-amp outputs similar to the CDR-220 which are located on socket C1 (top left). It would be great if someone from the Conti group respond to this question.
There is a wiring diagram for the conti on page 10 of the PDF I posted.
Old 03-06-2017, 03:10 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by boingolover
There is a wiring diagram for the conti on page 10 of the PDF I posted.
Yea, thanks... I've viewed their pdf wiring diagram before, but they're not clear what the three C sockets support other than the 2 RCA inputs, MIC input, and SWRC ctrl cable. I know that most would say not to assume that the other C sockets are being used, but since this was a direct competitor to the Becker units, it was be fair to say there's a slight possibility that the unit outputs a L+R signal for amps on one of the C1 connectors. It would be nice if Conti had a support line for their radios, but I haven't had any luck getting an answer.
Old 03-06-2017, 03:59 PM
boingolover
Instructor

Yea, thanks... I've viewed their pdf wiring diagram before, but they're not clear what the three C sockets support other than the 2 RCA inputs, MIC input, and SWRC ctrl cable. I know that most would say not to assume that the other C sockets are being used, but since this was a direct competitor to the Becker units, it was be fair to say there's a slight possibility that the unit outputs a L+R signal for amps on one of the C1 connectors. It would be nice if Conti had a support line for their radios, but I haven't had any luck getting an answer.
So you're going on the assumption that there are unused (or otherwise unlabeled) pins on the connectors? Sounds a bit optimistic to me, the same optimism that keeps me buying lottery tickets. I'd love to be wrong, but no way I'm going to buy one to find out.
Old 03-06-2017, 04:05 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by boingolover
I'd love to be wrong, but no way I'm going to buy one to find out.
Dab Nabbit, I was hoping you'd volunteer to be our first guinea pig.

Quick Reply: Classic Radio Navigation System in a 996?