Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Video. ## 5 things every new 911 owner should know. Also Cayman and Boxster owners

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2017, 08:53 AM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 233 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by pvr
That looks great at a good price as well. What cable did you use to connect from that to the fuse to open the frunk?
I use this one. Have one in all of my cars. It will hold its charge more than six months, but I have a scheduled recharge every six months for all of them. Take it out of the car and plug it in, or you can just plug it in to ciggy lighter for an hour to top it off, twice a year.

I've only had to use it to jump a dead battery once, and that was on my mom's car. Popped it on the battery with the little short-lead clamps and the little Mazda fired up like it was getting jumped-off by an F-250.

These clamps are a good bit smaller than regular jumper cable clamps and would easily work in the fuse box of the Porsche.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N2HHU2O/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N2HHU2O/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Old 02-28-2017, 09:18 AM
philipatl
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Great video thanks!
Old 02-28-2017, 09:48 AM
randr
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Push = on
Pull = off

Lets count the number of devices where push = on, no that would be a waste of time because most devices push = on

Please, please, please just go and drive your car and enjoy it.
Old 02-28-2017, 09:59 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,580 Likes on 1,603 Posts

Also, this is why I ALWAYS park my manual cars in gear, e-brake or no. I was always taught this when I first learned to drive, and then I worked with a guy who literally would pull into a spot in first gear and then shut the engine off without taking the car out of gear at all. The 911 is my first stick since then but I've adopted the practice and it seems to work well. I just push the clutch and turn the car off.
Old 02-28-2017, 10:02 AM
Mlbraptor
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I enjoyed you're video...
Old 02-28-2017, 10:44 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by randr
Push = on
Pull = off

Lets count the number of devices where push = on, no that would be a waste of time because most devices push = on

Please, please, please just go and drive your car and enjoy it.
It is counter intuitive because there used to be a cable attached. now it is an electronic button. Ad this to the list of electronic components that add weight and should be eliminated for the perfect Porsche.
Old 02-28-2017, 11:15 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,184 Likes on 711 Posts

Nick said he developed muscle memory from his other car where the electronic brake was pull to engage and push to disengage.
Old 02-28-2017, 11:17 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
Nick said he developed muscle memory from his other car where the electronic brake was pull to engage and push to disengage.
He lives up north and is likely a democrat. That explains why he is used to having things backwards.
Old 02-28-2017, 11:23 AM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Received 2,218 Likes on 1,117 Posts

Perhaps it's a good idea to leave the hood popped open if you park it for a long time. I guess one could also hook a battery charger rather than a battery to the fuse box terminal?
Old 02-28-2017, 11:37 AM
skynet
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pvr
That looks great at a good price as well. What cable did you use to connect from that to the fuse to open the frunk?
I build my own connectors with Anderson Powerpoles, but NoGaBikers unit from amazon is easier and very handy item. Not sure if it fits in glovebox?

Amazon Amazon
Old 02-28-2017, 12:42 PM
PTGFAR
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I wonder if you couldn't just connect to the cigarette lighter or one of the power outlets to do the same thing.

The parking brake makes perfect sense to me. Most things are push a button to turn on. Also, in the old days, you step on the parking brake to set it and pull a handle to release it. I remember it very well because sometimes you pull the wrong handle and pop the hood open. Then you have to go outside and pretend you wanted to check something under the hood so nobody knows you made a stupid mistake.
Old 02-28-2017, 12:48 PM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PTGFAR
The parking brake makes perfect sense to me.
Yes, unless you also have a BMW that works the opposite way. I take the Metro to work mostly, so when I climb into one of my cars I always need to think about "push" or "pull".

I wish there was a mechanical handbrake option. It just makes me feel more confident that I have a braking bake-up system that I can deploy mechanically.
Old 02-28-2017, 12:59 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,465 Likes on 2,813 Posts

Originally Posted by skynet
Here's a handy solution to the fusebox jumper, you could keep this in the GC.

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-...lipo-pack.html

Also, you can use one of these to start your car.

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/zippy-co...lipo-pack.html

Yikes. That makes me nervous. I have a couple of R/C cars - you have to be careful with Lithium Polymer batteries (as opposed to LiOn batteries that are typically used in regular cars). They are at high risk for thermal runaway with trivial damage. I keep mine in a fireproof bag inside a toolbox just to be safe. I'd be nervous about keeping them in a hot car - there have been documented car fires because stored R/C lipo batteries spontaneously combusted.
Old 02-28-2017, 01:06 PM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan Nagy
Yes, unless you also have a BMW that works the opposite way. I take the Metro to work mostly, so when I climb into one of my cars I always need to think about "push" or "pull".

I wish there was a mechanical handbrake option. It just makes me feel more confident that I have a braking bake-up system that I can deploy mechanically.
I just push or pull and watch for the dash light. If I don't see it I pull or push.
Old 02-28-2017, 01:11 PM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gary JR
I just push or pull and watch for the dash light. If I don't see it I pull or push.
Yes, sometimes I relieve the brake and then set it again doing the push-pull, and then do another push. Anyway, I'd still prefer a proper sports car mechanical brake. We loved those handbrakes as teenagers as it was great for doing donuts in the snow.

Quick Reply: Video. ## 5 things every new 911 owner should know. Also Cayman and Boxster owners