Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Video. ## 5 things every new 911 owner should know. Also Cayman and Boxster owners

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2017, 01:13 PM
kayjh
Drifting

Received 714 Likes on 498 Posts

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
I use this one. Have one in all of my cars. It will hold its charge more than six months, but I have a scheduled recharge every six months for all of them. Take it out of the car and plug it in, or you can just plug it in to ciggy lighter for an hour to top it off, twice a year.

I've only had to use it to jump a dead battery once, and that was on my mom's car. Popped it on the battery with the little short-lead clamps and the little Mazda fired up like it was getting jumped-off by an F-250.

These clamps are a good bit smaller than regular jumper cable clamps and would easily work in the fuse box of the Porsche.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Looks great, but if you look at the kit it comes in to store the battery and the jumper cables, no way that is all fitting in the glove box or under the seat.

Anyway, nice to have a video from Nick to show us exactly how the connection is made to pop the front lid.
Old 02-28-2017, 01:18 PM
Dan Nagy
Race Car

Received 2,219 Likes on 1,117 Posts

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
I use this one. Have one in all of my cars. It will hold its charge more than six months, but I have a scheduled recharge every six months for all of them. Take it out of the car and plug it in, or you can just plug it in to ciggy lighter for an hour to top it off, twice a year.

I've only had to use it to jump a dead battery once, and that was on my mom's car. Popped it on the battery with the little short-lead clamps and the little Mazda fired up like it was getting jumped-off by an F-250.

These clamps are a good bit smaller than regular jumper cable clamps and would easily work in the fuse box of the Porsche.

Make sure to read all the Amazon reviews before buying. It seems there are some quality and long-term use issues with some of the units. Also, there is no way to address issues after 30 days.
Old 02-28-2017, 01:27 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 233 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by skynet
I build my own connectors with Anderson Powerpoles, but NoGaBikers unit from amazon is easier and very handy item. Not sure if it fits in glovebox?

The unit is the size of a 1 inch thick iPhone plus. But it does come in a junior daytimer sized zip binder with several other accessories. I keep that under the driver seat, from the back. Along with a tire patch kit. But the necessary components would easily fit in the glove box. The battery would sit in the console box, but not the jumpers.
Old 02-28-2017, 02:36 PM
Norsk
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 88 Posts

I actually bought this battery pack to charge my phone and iPad, but it comes with a set of jumper cables that would be perfect for the fuse panel in the Pcar. Very compact unit.
Attached Images  
Old 03-01-2017, 11:34 AM
nmurray22
Instructor

Received 96 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Keadog
Enjoyable as always. I was on your Youtube channel over the weekend. Two things:
1. Becky is adorable.
2. I want a PDK T-shirt in Large please. I laughed out loud when I saw it.
PM me with details if you're making any to sell.
Yes I will be selling those and other T-shirts shortly.
Old 03-01-2017, 11:37 AM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 537 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by Keadog
Enjoyable as always. I was on your Youtube channel over the weekend. Two things:
1. Becky is adorable.
2. I want a PDK T-shirt in Large please. I laughed out loud when I saw it.
PM me with details if you're making any to sell.
Agreed. T-shirts please (XL, thanks)!
Old 03-01-2017, 12:06 PM
LionelB
Burning Brakes

Received 370 Likes on 209 Posts

Reading this, is there a way to check the battery charge on the PCM or multi function screen ?
Old 03-01-2017, 12:43 PM
LionelB
Burning Brakes

BTW something caught my eye in this video which is some space for a bigger battery.

How long would it take to drain the battery of a 991.2 sitting locked in a garage ? I ask because I often leave the car for 3 or 4 weeks.
Old 03-01-2017, 01:05 PM
Bemo
Drifting

Received 262 Likes on 172 Posts

My humble contribution:
#6 - should have bought a fun color .1 as it would have looked AND sounded better while costing the KIWI a lot less, therefore freeing up funds to purchase additional video equipment to be leveraged for more average quality productions.
Old 03-01-2017, 01:26 PM
pvr
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LionelB
BTW something caught my eye in this video which is some space for a bigger battery.

How long would it take to drain the battery of a 991.2 sitting locked in a garage ? I ask because I often leave the car for 3 or 4 weeks.
Put a tender on it, like a CTEK. Leaving the car without tender at long intervals is enough to kill the battery (not just drain it).
Old 03-01-2017, 01:57 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 233 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by pvr
Put a tender on it, like a CTEK. Leaving the car without tender at long intervals is enough to kill the battery (not just drain it).
Agreed. I use this Schumacher on the vehicles that don't get used at least once a week. Excellent product.

https://www.amazon.com/Schumacher-SE-5212A-Automatic-Handheld-Battery/dp/B0009IBJCQ https://www.amazon.com/Schumacher-SE-5212A-Automatic-Handheld-Battery/dp/B0009IBJCQ
Old 03-02-2017, 12:11 AM
LionelB
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the link. In reading the car manual I think they mention something like 6 weeks before you may have to re-charge the battery.
Old 03-02-2017, 02:09 AM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,112 Likes on 669 Posts

Originally Posted by nmurray22
Yes I will be selling those and other T-shirts shortly.
Good!
Old 03-02-2017, 03:14 AM
satoru
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Awesome vid man, you do good work!!! My heart skipped a beat when watching your mishap!!!
Old 03-02-2017, 07:30 AM
titanflyer
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The one I found most useful was the very technical explaination of the Thump Thump Thump sound. I have recently purchased my first 911 C2S and although I don't live in a "cold" climate, I do get the sound when exiting my driveway at a steep angle which requires lock on the wheels.... the sound scared the crap out of me and once you explained it, absolutely sounded like the wheel was catching..

Thanks for making me feel better.

Quick Reply: Video. ## 5 things every new 911 owner should know. Also Cayman and Boxster owners