Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Succumbing to getting the whole shebang done - where to go?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2017, 07:25 PM
HandsomeRob
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by b3freak
Hi Handsome Rob,

Have you read the M96 "50 ways to lose your motor"?
The abundance of information has what has led to my downfall. I'd prefer blissful ignorance.
Old 02-16-2017, 07:39 PM
HandsomeRob
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 808Bill
Have you dropped the sump and looked inside or cut open an oil filter? What has you so wound up about driving it, funny noises?
the filter has been clean. The only issue the car has is what appears to be a lifetime of very minimal oil leakage. Not enough to hit the ground but enough to coat the base just south of the RMS/IMS. The records have a "shaft seal" replacement under warranty...and this could be indicative of the crankcase not being perfectly in spec from the beginning or just a bad seal. Every blue moon I'll get a very small puff of smoke on start up. The chronic oil leak has always bothered me.

close up of the oil build up...
Old 02-16-2017, 07:42 PM
HandsomeRob
Intermediate

Originally Posted by johnireland
I believe Flat6's price is for their "ultimate total life time never need to do it again solution" vs just changing the bearing to a newer design. I would venture that the cost also includes qualifying the engine as well.

Whatever IMSB system you chose, Jakes or someone elses, it is equally as important who does the work. I wouldn't want to just buy the part and then give the job to someone who has only done one or two...or even three or four. I'd want the best tech that money could buy because this job done badly is worse than staying with your orginal factory bearing. And that leaves you with the same night sweats plus less a few thousand dollars.

As for the other items on you list...there is wisdom in the old saying, "if it isn't broken, don't fix it."
I understand that the clutch and AOS aren't broke, but the car is on the original clutch as far as I can tell and at 75k miles it has served the car well. The AOS is a $250 add that would be $1000 more if it needed to be done by itself.
Old 02-16-2017, 07:52 PM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by HandsomeRob
The abundance of information has what has led to my downfall. I'd prefer blissful ignorance.
You are not alone. it's irrational, and unlike me but I have worries as well. My car runs, great, I have an early build date, dual row, low temp t-stat, but I still face the threat of being one common failure away from a $12k bill. No matter the percentages being low, there's always that little voice when I drive; 'is it this mile? Is it this mile? is it this mile?'. So far, it's great - but I'm a lousy gambler.
Old 02-16-2017, 07:54 PM
HandsomeRob
Intermediate

Originally Posted by TonyTwoBags
Sure, I'm well aware of the nature of the bill. I went through that exact process in June of last year (and am very happy). My critique was directed at FSI charging $6-7k for a job that similarly trained techs can economically offer for less. Notice how OP notes $4900 for Solution only, then $1k+ for AOS/RMS.

There's a lot of meat on that bone.
Basically the $4900 for the IMS Solution is a $750 deposit for 4 hour pre-inspection. $1850 for the Solution, $50 for oil disposal and shop fees, and $2250 for labor. They do offer 10% off for PCA or Rennlist members. So, I should have said $4410.
Old 02-16-2017, 08:05 PM
JayG
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Well excuuuuuuuuuuuuse me
Old 02-16-2017, 08:20 PM
Spork
Instructor

Hi Handsome Rob,

Have you read the M96 "50 ways to lose your motor"?
Man, that's just mean!
Old 02-16-2017, 08:24 PM
Spork
Instructor

I used to be a worry wart but not any more for two reasons. My car is a '99 with double row bearing.

The other is I've been watching a bunch of Renegade LS conversion videos and will check out there shop next week when I'm in Vegas. I figure if my engine blows I'm doing the LS swap. Heck, I'm thinking about selling my perfectly good engine and just doing the LS as a preventative maintenance item!
Old 02-16-2017, 08:52 PM
TonyTwoBags
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by HandsomeRob
Basically the $4900 for the IMS Solution is a $750 deposit for 4 hour pre-inspection. $1850 for the Solution, $50 for oil disposal and shop fees, and $2250 for labor. They do offer 10% off for PCA or Rennlist members. So, I should have said $4410.
Thanks for the breakout, that makes more sense. I don't know what his overhead is so I'll just keep my mouth shut after poking the bear too much already.

Originally Posted by Spork
Heck, I'm thinking about selling my perfectly good engine and just doing the LS as a preventative maintenance item!
I'm no LS-critic, but broooo.. the sweet tune of the flat six is half the fun!
Old 02-17-2017, 11:11 AM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,895 Likes on 1,036 Posts

Originally Posted by Spork
I figure if my engine blows I'm doing the LS swap. Heck, I'm thinking about selling my perfectly good engine and just doing the LS as a preventative maintenance item!
Dude, for the love oh humanity, don't do this. There enough cross-dressin' confusion in our world. Just look what happened to Bruce Jenner - a.k.a Mr. Wheaties ...now he's more like Fruit Loops!
Old 02-17-2017, 12:05 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 545 Posts

And they're not cheap!
Old 02-17-2017, 12:51 PM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

They are far too proud of that LS engine swap for my tastes. If the feces strikes the air moving device I'd rather just stuff a 3.2 Boxter S engine in there for a few sheckels and keep driving.
Old 02-17-2017, 12:59 PM
TonyTwoBags
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Dude, for the love oh humanity, don't do this. There enough cross-dressin' confusion in our world. Just look what happened to Bruce Jenner - a.k.a Mr. Wheaties ...now he's more like Fruit Loops!
I know you're from the South (I am too), but Jenner's led one impressive life all nonsense aside. Stud athlete, good tastes in cars, puts around SoCal in a GT car. Cool by me.

Old 02-17-2017, 01:03 PM
bpu699

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jack Raby's solution seems top notch...

I was skimming his home page, and noticed that the warranty is immediately void if the car EVER goes on a race track, even for HPDE...

I can understand why that's so, but, that really limits what you can do with your car if you want the warranty in effect...
Old 02-17-2017, 01:11 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,895 Likes on 1,036 Posts

Originally Posted by TonyTwoBags
I know you're from the South (I am too), but Jenner's led one impressive life all nonsense aside. Stud athlete, good tastes in cars, puts around SoCal in a GT car. Cool by me.
multiple divorces, runs over and kills an animal activist with his big SUV, says he's not attracted to men, but believes he is really a woman, yadda yadda yadda...
oh he got ***** (or does he or she or whatever). But the worst of it is that he really likes the taste of Wheaties!

Weren't we talking about LS swap? hahaha

Quick Reply: Succumbing to getting the whole shebang done - where to go?