Sponsored by:

My review of the DSC module 997.1

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2017, 08:56 PM
ChicagoSpeed996
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by rickdogg82
Will installing the DSC in the .1 (with accelerometer) and .2 mean result in the same suspension package or is the "hardware" different in each?
great question. I would also like to know the answer. Tom of TPC can probably tell us. I know the PASM shocks for the different generations are different part numbers. But that doesn't mean the guts aren't the same just different tuning. Ask Tom from TPC and report back.
Old 02-14-2017, 05:04 PM
rickdogg82
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rickdogg82
Will installing the DSC in the .1 (with accelerometer) and .2 result in the same suspension package or is the "hardware" different in each?
The answer from Tom at TPC:
As far as the shock damping goes DSC is the equalizer for all 997's being that the DSC command range is up to 100% damping force whereas OE PASM command isn't. But there are mechanical stiffness compounded in by slightly stiffer spring and sway bars between .1 and .2 and then for those adding GT3 or TPC sway bars compounds huge stiffness... the short answer is yes for the damping alone.

I want it.
Old 02-14-2017, 06:08 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 762 Posts

A friend with a .1 put in the DSC and was not satisfied ... but ...

His car was extremely lowered. There wasn't enough suspension travel to work with.

He worked with Tom and raised the car a bit. It is still lower than stock. I followed him yesterday on a spirited drive. The car performed great. We had three DSC boxes in our group yesterday ... one .1 and two .2s (my C4S and a GTS). We were all very happy.

Further to my earlier report, after yesterday's drive, a couple of things ...

1. Accelerating out of an apex, when the rear end starts to break loose, with the rear less compressed the suspension isn't bouncing and the throttle control is significantly easier.

2. We have a quite bumpy technical road that includes an angled launch pad that kicks the rear end into the air and to the right at speeds somewhat over legal freeway limits. I'm used to the rear end coming down and flip flopping right to left to right to ... about three or four times. Yesterday the rear end planted and the car went straight.

I will load stiffer parameters once I get to interfacing the software to my Mac (running parallels). But that's me. As the controller comes, well, I'm impressed.
Old 02-15-2017, 03:52 AM
balefire
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by bmwtye
I wonder how hard it would be for DSC to build an accelerometer that is plug n play to replace the factory unit (and maintains whatever is needed from the factory unit) rather then splicing the 3 axis. Or if thats too difficult, just creating a new housing that houses the factory 2 axis and the DSC 3 axis inside it, with the 3 axis internally wired so you just plug back into the factory plug.
Another dumb question. Can you install the DSC on a 997.1 without the third accelerometer? If so, is there still a benefit?
Old 02-15-2017, 09:41 AM
ChicagoSpeed996
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by balefire
Another dumb question. Can you install the DSC on a 997.1 without the third accelerometer? If so, is there still a benefit?
you would have to ask Tom at TPC (on this thread), but I believe the answer would be that there would be little to no benefit as it is looking for the three axis values.
Old 02-15-2017, 09:46 AM
ChicagoSpeed996
Rennlist Member

you would have to ask Tom at TPC (on this thread), but I believe the answer would be that there would be little to no benefit as it is looking for the three axis values.

here's his quote from another thread. As suspected. They will go to full stiff without the accelerometer

With either the front or the rear mounting location of the accelerometer, it will only work when the fours wires connected properly. The four wires are:
1. Power
2. Ground
3. CAN +
4. CAN -
If any one of the four wire is not connected properly than the lack of signal will default the DSC to command the shocks to go full stiff in the same manner that the stock PASM system goes to full stiff when a connector is off.

Here is a youtube video to demonstrate the signal output of the accelerometer-

Here's a better image of the test table-
Old 02-15-2017, 09:50 AM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 944 Likes on 525 Posts

On all 997.1 cars that are non-turbo(including Carrera S, 4S, and GT3/RS) there's no benefit by installation DSC without our 3-axis accelerometer. These cars must have our 3-axis accelerometer in order for DSC to work properly. Its not hard to install, only 4 wires to attach.

TPC Racing stats:
2023 Porsche Sprint Challenge 992 Cup Am Champion
2023 Porsche Sprint Challenge GT4 Pro-Am Team Champion
2022 Porsche Sprint Challenge 992 Cup & 991 Cup Champion
2020 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge 2nd Championship
2018 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge 2nd Championship
2016 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge Champion
2013 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge Champion
2006 Rolex-24 @ Daytona GT Champion
2004 Grand-Am SGS Class Champion

Old 02-15-2017, 11:00 AM
Sneaky Pete
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

Tom......I have the goodies. This may have been asked before so sorry if it has......what is the optimum position of the 3-axis accelerometer? In the back or on top of the existing 2-axis?

Last edited by Sneaky Pete; 02-15-2017 at 12:29 PM.
Old 02-15-2017, 12:52 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Sneaky Pete
Tom......I have the goodies. This may have been asked before so sorry if it has......what is the optimum position of the 3-axis accelerometer? In the back or on top of the existing 2-axis?
I have tested both front and rear mounting locations of the DSC 3-axis accelerometer on my personal .1 car with exact same performance. There's no performance advantage between the two locations. For cars with roll cage its definitely easier to mount it to the front than the rear.
Old 02-15-2017, 01:17 PM
Sneaky Pete
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom-TPC Racing
I have tested both front and rear mounting locations of the DSC 3-axis accelerometer on my personal .1 car with exact same performance. There's no performance advantage between the two locations. For cars with roll cage its definitely easier to mount it to the front than the rear.
Great! Thank you Tom!
Old 02-15-2017, 08:44 PM
drockzcity
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Sneaky Pete
I just installed mine this past weekend in the rear of the car. The wire space back there is easier to work with and more room for soldering work and mounting. I have mine under the plating on the rear passenger side. Pretty easy job overall, should take you an hour or so.

Sidenote: Double check your CAN wire color codes with the instructions sheet. I forget which CAN wire it was but on my car it was Brn/Blk instead of Ylw/Wht.
Old 02-16-2017, 03:24 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by drockzcity
I just installed mine this past weekend in the rear of the car. The wire space back there is easier to work with and more room for soldering work and mounting. I have mine under the plating on the rear passenger side. Pretty easy job overall, should take you an hour or so.

Sidenote: Double check your CAN wire color codes with the instructions sheet. I forget which CAN wire it was but on my car it was Brn/Blk instead of Ylw/Wht.
Thank you for your input.

Regarding the sidenote on the factory CAN wire colors, for whatever the reason is, every 997.1 that I've worked on has Yellow/White CAN Hi and Black/White CAN Lo wire colors. But I have heard of a few installer reported that the CAN Hi is a different color. However, the factory workshop manual does state Yellow/White for CAN Hi. Perhaps the OE wiring vendor ran out of the specified color and made a substitution.
Old 02-16-2017, 03:34 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Did you confirm that this Brown/Black CAN Hi wire is on connector D,
pin 36 of the ECU connector? I'd recommend confirming the pin assignment when the wire color deviates.
Old 02-16-2017, 06:45 PM
drockzcity
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom-TPC Racing
Did you confirm that this Brown/Black CAN Hi wire is on connector D,
pin 36 of the ECU connector? I'd recommend confirming the pin assignment when the wire color deviates.
Yes I did. I double checked everything before even stripping the wire down to splice it. I even used your original DIY write up from when you installed the DSC into your GT3. Everything works perfect. Money well spent. Thanks Tom!
Old 02-17-2017, 10:40 AM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Yes I did. I double checked everything before even stripping the wire down to splice it. I even used your original DIY write up from when you installed the DSC into your GT3. Everything works perfect. Money well spent. Thanks Tom!
Well done, Sir!
Glad you like the DSC performance.
My pleasure.

Quick Reply: My review of the DSC module 997.1