Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2017, 08:17 PM
ChicagoSpeed996
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default My review of the DSC module 997.1

The box
The gizmo
During my research I did not find many reviews, videos or other online media directly reviewing the 997.1 DSC module. All that I heard was very good from that 997.2 and the 991 crowds.

Install
The 997.1 unfortunately does not have an easy install relative to the 997.2 and 991 cars due to the need to install the DSC three axis accelerometer . The next hurdle was finding instructions. I originally had heard about the install in the rear of the car and saw some install threads on that type of installation. I then went to the DSC website and found the install in the front of the car. So that is where I ended up installing mine. The wires for the accelerometer are difficult to get to at this point and soldering in this area was also difficult. I utilized tinfoil as a heatshield and to protect some of the parts in that area. The accelerometer installs on top of the stock accelerometer.

The install of the module was a piece of cake it took me about two minutes. I could not believe how simple it was after having to install the accelerometer.

The Initial Drive
The first thing you notice is the compliance in the ride. The bumps are soaked up much better yet still with a sporty feel. Within 100 feet of my house I had a 90° turn, at that turn I noticed right away that the car did not wallow and was flatter through the turn. The next thing I noticed was at the stop sign, the nose dive was about as half as much as it was before. Take off from the stop sign also was less dramatic as the rear did not squat as much in the front did not rise as much. I put on about 10 miles of driving in and out of normal and sport mode. Sport mode just firmed up everything that was great about normal mode. As others have said I now have two modes that I can actually drive in. Sport mode is now usable and his fantastic especially when pushing it around corners.

Next drive - pushing
after getting used to the modes and evaluating each mode in daily driving scenarios, I wanted to start pushing the car and get a feel for the module. First thing I noticed was it was definitely less dramatic mid corner where typically I would feel the car want to squat towards the rear opposite of the corner and the front rise up accordingly. At this time I would also induce wheel spin. With the module installed the cornering is much flatter, less dramatic and I get more grip, tons more grip!! I will have more detailed experiences about pushing the car in autocross events come summer. But right now I am really happy the car is behaving exactly as it should have from the factory. It feels like a different car! If you have any questions about the install of the Excel around water or any other questions about the module please feel free to contact me.

Well done DSC!
Old 02-07-2017, 08:50 PM
bmwtye
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 81 Posts

I wonder how hard it would be for DSC to build an accelerometer that is plug n play to replace the factory unit (and maintains whatever is needed from the factory unit) rather then splicing the 3 axis. Or if thats too difficult, just creating a new housing that houses the factory 2 axis and the DSC 3 axis inside it, with the 3 axis internally wired so you just plug back into the factory plug.
Old 02-07-2017, 08:56 PM
porscheralph
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 14 Posts

Received and installed mine today - easy since I have a 997.2. I have not be able to drive it too hard yet as tire temp not conducive to sport driving but come Spring I will really be able to use it. It does feel more planted at this point in typical driving. Looking forward to Sport + and getting the car to rotate thru corners. Thanks again to ChicagoSpeed and DSC.
Old 02-07-2017, 09:48 PM
drockzcity
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Chicago - how long did it take to install the Accelerameter? Is the front easier or rear to do the install?
Old 02-07-2017, 09:51 PM
Backmarker
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks for the review, good input.

The DSC is still on my list to buy and install
Old 02-07-2017, 10:11 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 762 Posts

From ChicagoSpeed996 ...

The Initial Drive
The first thing you notice is the compliance in the ride. The bumps are soaked up much better yet still with a sporty feel. Within 100 feet of my house I had a 90° turn, at that turn I noticed right away that the car did not wallow and was flatter through the turn. The next thing I noticed was at the stop sign, the nose dive was about as half as much as it was before. Take off from the stop sign also was less dramatic as the rear did not squat as much in the front did not rise as much. I put on about 10 miles of driving in and out of normal and sport mode. Sport mode just firmed up everything that was great about normal mode. As others have said I now have two modes that I can actually drive in. Sport mode is now usable and his fantastic especially when pushing it around corners.

Next drive - pushing
after getting used to the modes and evaluating each mode in daily driving scenarios, I wanted to start pushing the car and get a feel for the module. First thing I noticed was it was definitely less dramatic mid corner where typically I would feel the car want to squat towards the rear opposite of the corner and the front rise up accordingly. At this time I would also induce wheel spin. With the module installed the cornering is much flatter, less dramatic and I get more grip, tons more grip!!

Well done DSC!
[/QUOTE]

Mine was a 997.2 so I had the easy installation. Two plastic screws to drop down the cover under the glove box and push the clip to remove the OEM module. Unplug the old and plug in the new. The biggest trick is getting the outer tab located in its slot.

As for the drive, I can't state it any better than the above!!!
Old 02-07-2017, 11:30 PM
ChicagoSpeed996
Rennlist Member

The rear install tall is definitely easier with wiring easier to access. DSC says that this was their previous install instructions and consider the rear install out of date. Their website now points to install instructions for the front.

Soldering in the front are is very tight. And at times frustrating. But doable.

Originally Posted by drockzcity
Chicago - how long did it take to install the Accelerameter? Is the front easier or rear to do the install?
Old 02-07-2017, 11:57 PM
rickdogg82
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Stock suspension otherwise?
Old 02-08-2017, 12:16 AM
ChicagoSpeed996
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rickdogg82
Stock suspension otherwise?
Yes completely stock.
Old 02-08-2017, 02:09 AM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Same for me ... stock 997.2 PASM, 90K miles, no refresh parts other than tires and front brakes once.

The feedback through the suspension seems enhanced. I'm holding reservations, but I'm feeling things in the car including limits differently, better focused.

The car isn't bouncing around the way it used to. The weight of the motor isn't pre loading the springs in a turn requiring a reflexive adjustment upon exit as the spring(s) rebound. The tire adhesion is more consistent.

Less dip during braking or accelerating (hard or soft), less roll in the turns. Less loading or shift on any corner, side, or end.

Less suspension shift = less spring loading = less body bounce back = greater control, and this feeds directly to the driver. I'm (I think I'm) feeling the adhesion differently.

The car now feels a lot more like my wife's new AMG with selectable suspension. We did things with that car during our European Delivery last September that I didn't think we could. I credited the braking system (sense yaw and apply the inside rear brake to maintain stability) but saw more improvement than just the braking could supply when I switched to sport suspension. The Sport Suspension mode leveled the car in the curves and changed the front end dip on trail braking into the turns and alowed rear squat exiting from the apexes. Thinking about the DSC performance is giving me a new view of the AMG.

As you can see from the above, I'm still analyzing this. Nonetheless, the DCT is giving me a lot more confidence with the 997. I'm impressed. I'm happy.

I don't think this is merely a placebo affect. But I'm still holding reservations until I have more driving time.
Old 02-09-2017, 07:36 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

A friend with a near to same car as mine drove mine today. Mine is PASM, his is SPASM. He felt the addition of DSC made my car feel like his. When the rain ends we'll put the module in his car and see what he thinks.

We'll compare part numbers on the control boxes when we do the swap.
Attached Images    
Old 02-09-2017, 08:02 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 944 Likes on 525 Posts

Originally Posted by Wayne Smith
A friend with a near to same car as mine drove mine today. Mine is PASM, his is SPASM. He felt the addition of DSC made my car feel like his. When the rain ends we'll put the module in his car and see what he thinks.

We'll compare part numbers on the control boxes when we do the swap.
I have a custom DSC map that's more suited for SPASM, I can email the map to you. Just PM me your email address or email me. You might like the custom map better too. Just comes down to personal preference at the initial turn-in phase. My email is tchan@tpcracing.com

TPC Racing stats:
2023 Porsche Sprint Challenge 992 Cup Am Champion
2023 Porsche Sprint Challenge GT4 Pro-Am Team Champion
2022 Porsche Sprint Challenge 992 Cup & 991 Cup Champion
2020 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge 2nd Championship
2018 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge 2nd Championship
2016 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge Champion
2013 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge Champion
2006 Rolex-24 @ Daytona GT Champion
2004 Grand-Am SGS Class Champion

Old 02-09-2017, 08:15 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 944 Likes on 525 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom-TPC Racing
I have a custom DSC map that's more suited for SPASM, I can email the map to you. Just PM me your email address or email me. You might like the custom map better too. Just comes down to personal preference at the initial turn-in phase. My email is tchan@tpcracing.com
Even if you guys don't change map the map that came with your DSC is still an improvement over 997.2 SPASM...and over 997.2 GT3/RS. Just know that the performance of your DSC is not "locked in", its fully customization for personal preference and we provide tuning support. Looking forward to you guys' feed back.
Old 02-13-2017, 06:58 PM
drockzcity
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I just installed mine yesterday and it's almost night and day the difference that's felt with the DSC installed. Amazing.

Originally Posted by Tom-TPC Racing
Tom, would you happen to have custom settings for a PASM set up on B16's? Will be installing Damptronics soon as I'm currently on Eibach springs.
Old 02-13-2017, 07:53 PM
rickdogg82
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Will installing the DSC in the .1 (with accelerometer) and .2 result in the same suspension package or is the "hardware" different in each?

Last edited by rickdogg82; 02-14-2017 at 03:52 PM.

Quick Reply: My review of the DSC module 997.1