Sponsored by:

stock stereo = terrible?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2017, 12:17 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,726 Likes on 1,073 Posts

Originally Posted by Cuda911
I don't really care about the audio quality... I just wish it would pick up a few radio stations. Guess I need to attach a huge antenna on the fender or something. I have to use I Heart Radio or some other streaming app on my phone. Now, where to put that phone???
I ended up buying a ProClip. Works pretty decent.
Old 02-07-2017, 04:02 AM
JohnCA58
Rennlist Member

Received 358 Likes on 225 Posts

ProClips work great on my vehicles and both motorcycles.

Name:  DSC00852.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  266.5 KB
Old 02-07-2017, 11:03 AM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,895 Likes on 1,036 Posts

Originally Posted by murphyslaw1978
It's not that BOSE isn't decent, it's that you can get better sound for a lot less money.
Forgive the analogies...

We could also buy many new sports cars for fraction of the cost of a new Porsche 911, and some would even outperform the 911 in many categories, but would we?

And...

We could probably get a loan and purchase a new Porsche 911, but would we?

I say "NO".

I think you may agree with me here that most people on the Rennlist 996 forum did not buy their Porsches brand new. That's the cool thing about the 996 RL owners. We're the like the patient fisherman waiting for the fish. Let the other guys pay the enormous new price - we'll wait for it to depreciate. Most of the nuts on the 996 RL forum, love the performance and value of the current 996 cars (wouldn't you agree?), and we're not stupid enough to go out and pay $100,000 for these cars when they were new. Same goes for Bose and other high-end electronics. Heck, I'm in the television production business, you think I'm going out and pay $3,000+ for one of those new 4K curved TVs? Absolutely not! I paid under $400 for my 48" Panasonic Plasma and it runs circles around many of the LCD and LED displays these days. (OLED is another story. hahaha)

Regarding the sound quality... IMHO, it's a very subjective thing and I wouldn't base my decision on the usual forum "pot stirrers". (I prolly wouldn't have bought a 996 if I based it solely on the constant barrage of negative comments on Rennlist and other forums) Magazines can be just as bad. Many people feel that Road and Track as well as Car and Driver only like Porsche and BMW... and, if you subscribe to their publications, that would be a fair analysis to have because many of their articles in recent years praise the German cars. But does that mean you can't get a decent sports cars from other makers? Nope!

It all boils down to what YOU appreciate and willing to pay for. Many people think that Rolex is a waste of money and that better performing watches can be purchased for less than $50. In many respects that may be true, but in 10 years, I wonder which one will still be working and... which one will be worth more.

Cheerios my friend!

Last edited by ZuffenZeus; 02-07-2017 at 01:09 PM.
Old 02-07-2017, 01:07 PM
Slopeslider
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

If you want a simple completely reversible phone mount option you could do something like this.

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...e-install.html

Or my new spot which is where the 991 factory phone mount is.

Old 02-07-2017, 02:01 PM
stan23
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by b3freak
Forgive the analogies...

We could also buy many new sports cars for fraction of the cost of a new Porsche 911, and some would even outperform the 911 in many categories, but would we?

And...

We could probably get a loan and purchase a new Porsche 911, but would we?

I say "NO".

I think you may agree with me here that most people on the Rennlist 996 forum did not buy their Porsches brand new. That's the cool thing about the 996 RL owners. We're the like the patient fisherman waiting for the fish. Let the other guys pay the enormous new price - we'll wait for it to depreciate. Most of the nuts on the 996 RL forum, love the performance and value of the current 996 cars (wouldn't you agree?), and we're not stupid enough to go out and pay $100,000 for these cars when they were new. Same goes for Bose and other high-end electronics. Heck, I'm in the television production business, you think I'm going out and pay $3,000+ for one of those new 4K curved TVs? Absolutely not! I paid under $400 for my 48" Panasonic Plasma and it runs circles around many of the LCD and LED displays these days. (OLED is another story. hahaha)

Regarding the sound quality... IMHO, it's a very subjective thing and I wouldn't base my decision on the usual forum "pot stirrers". (I prolly wouldn't have bought a 996 if I based it solely on the constant barrage of negative comments on Rennlist and other forums) Magazines can be just as bad. Many people feel that Road and Track as well as Car and Driver only like Porsche and BMW... and, if you subscribe to their publications, that would be a fair analysis to have because many of their articles in recent years praise the German cars. But does that mean you can't get a decent sports cars from other makers? Nope!

It all boils down to what YOU appreciate and willing to pay for. Many people think that Rolex is a waste of money and that better performing watches can be purchased for less than $50. In many respects that may be true, but in 10 years, I wonder which one will still be working and... which one will be worth more.

Cheerios my friend!
Pretty spot on. I was set on a 997S as my first P car, but didn't really find the experience all that much better than a 996 and at twice the cost, it was a no brainer to go with the 996 instead.

However, i'm now enjoying the P car experience so much, i'm considering the move to a 997 Turbo, or 991 Targa.
Old 02-07-2017, 04:24 PM
cliveballard
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bose system in 996 base settings

i wonder if anyone can help me please? i have a bose system in my 2002 targa
i read somewhere that aftermarket car phone kits can effect settings but i cannot find it anywhere in here.Something to do with grounding perhaps

My system has way to much base. when starting the car i have to go and set base to -7 which is as far as it goes. When i turn of car the setting is back where it was. strangely the cd doesn't sound to bad
Old 02-07-2017, 04:30 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by cliveballard
i wonder if anyone can help me please? i have a bose system in my 2002 targa
i read somewhere that aftermarket car phone kits can effect settings but i cannot find it anywhere in here.Something to do with grounding perhaps

My system has way to much base. when starting the car i have to go and set base to -7 which is as far as it goes. When i turn of car the setting is back where it was. strangely the cd doesn't sound to bad

Hmm.. that's an interesting problem. Normally, people like alot of bass, but I'm more like you, I don't want a lot of bass to make my head hurt. Not sure how a phone kit could change the settings of your system. It would be best if you post a new thread with your question. Also, take pictures of HU and describe anything you've done to it. Hopefully, someone can walk you through the process of finding a solution. Boosting the mids and highs would be a good first step... and if the speakers in the dash and rear aren't working properly, then the bass will be perceivably overpowering.
Old 02-07-2017, 04:36 PM
cliveballard
Track Day

Hi Thanks for that advice sadly i am new on here and have not worked out how to post a new thread or discussion. It is the standard head unit as far as i am aware with a tape player sitting behind it. It has a red flashing light in the centre when the car is locked. I think i read it can affect earthing if a phone kits fitted.

As far as i am aware everything is absolutely standard. Its so bad i thought a speaker was blown
Old 02-07-2017, 04:42 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by cliveballard
It is the standard head unit as far as i am aware with a tape player sitting behind it. It has a red flashing light in the centre
You have a "standard head unit" with a tape player sitting behind it?

Is the tape player connected to anything? Are we talking about 1980's Sony Walkman or what?

A red flashing light? Do you hear a ticking sound when it blinks?
Old 02-07-2017, 04:52 PM
cliveballard
Track Day

not quite 1980's but i will do my best to describe. The cd changer is in the luggage compartment in the cubby hole under head unit are 6 little tape holders and the HU has a button that flips the front down and you can put a tape in. I am amazed they made them still in 2002
Old 02-07-2017, 04:55 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

You mean you don't listen to cassettes anymore?

Sounds like a CR-220.

Is this the unit?

Old 02-07-2017, 04:58 PM
cliveballard
Track Day

i keep meaning to dig one out from my loft to see if it even works. Could you kindly point out to a newbee where he is going wrong. I can only see a button with post a reply on here how do i start a new post?
Old 02-07-2017, 05:03 PM
cliveballard
Track Day

yep that is the one
Old 02-07-2017, 05:03 PM
tekkie
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

click here and then near the top left there is post topic https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum-60/
Old 02-07-2017, 05:06 PM
jaetee
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by vitaminC
The amp and changer would both be in the funk. When present, they are obvious.

You can see the amp above the spare tire in this pic:

Thanks. My amp is still in the car, but the CD changer is gone.

Without pulling the head unit or amp, is there a way for me to tell whether or not my updated Sony head unit is using the power from the factory amp?

Quick Reply: stock stereo = terrible?