Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

'86 951 Center-Lock Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2017, 02:16 PM
Bmuldoon
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 34 Posts
Default '86 951 Center-Lock Conversion

Call me crazy but I think center-locking wheels would look great on our cars. Porsche sells a kit (link below). Cost would probably be prohibitive at the end of the day but do any experts know if this kit could even fit on our cars?

https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/997TTCL.html

Old 01-11-2017, 02:45 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 645 Likes on 499 Posts

be cheaper to make your center cap look like the center-lock nut and plug the lug holes with "covers"...
Old 01-11-2017, 04:22 PM
Jay Wellwood
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 266 Likes on 153 Posts

A number of the 911 guys with center locks do not care for them.
Old 01-11-2017, 04:28 PM
rnh204
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

It will fit - but can you find a CL in the right offset that will work?

CL while they look great, they are terrible in practical terms. What will you do if you get a flat and need to change the wheel, AAA guy won't know how to help you..

on my gt3rs it came with CL, first thing I did was convert to a traditional 5-lug set up.
Old 01-11-2017, 05:23 PM
Bmuldoon
Rennlist Member

Thanks for all the feedback.

I agree that it's certainly not the most practical application for everyday use and exorbitantly expensive but wanted to explore the idea to see if it were even possible.

You make a good point as there are likely only a few wheels available and I highly doubt they are the correct offset as most of the applications are for much larger wheels. Still.. I think it would look pretty badass. I'll check out the wheel options and report back.
Old 01-11-2017, 05:34 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

You could probably make a heavy vinyl "sticker" to cover the lug area so it looks like there are no lugnuts...
Old 01-11-2017, 05:42 PM
Bmuldoon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by V2Rocket
You could probably make a heavy vinyl "sticker" to cover the lug area so it looks like there are no lugnuts...
By this logic does the center locking hardware just thread through the area where the center cap would traditionally go? Are center locking wheels specifically engineered for that type of load distribution? Making phone dials unsuited for the task?
Old 01-11-2017, 05:47 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

The big threaded "spindle" sticks in where the center cap would normally go.
It's like a wheel bolt-pattern adapter - bolts on to stock hub with stock bolts/nuts/studs and then has the mount for the new wheel further outwards.

Not having seen such a wheel in person, I would guess there is some kind of tapered surface inside the center of the wheel to mate up against the nut for better clamping (like a really big lug nut).

The center of the wheel would have to be designed with that sort of clamping in mind, don't think a cast phone-dial would handle it.
Old 01-11-2017, 08:37 PM
FrenchToast
Three Wheelin'

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Bmuldoon
Porsche sells a kit (link below).
The new Porsche street centerlocks are utterly useless. Both sides are RH threads (dumb idea for right side of car). They must be carefully lubricated upon every change. And torqued with the suspension fully unloaded at all four corners.

Many GT3 guys dump the toy centerlocks for 5-lug. I think VW kids buy them, because they're cool.

Racing centerlocks are far better. The right side uses LH threads to counteract the torque of the axle. And they don't need to be lubricated at a molecular tolerance every change.

BTW - have you ever changed centerlock wheels without an air wrench? It is pretty impractical, hauling around your 4' long torque wrench.

The 90's agreed with you. The hubcaps on a GMC Jimmy were made to appear as a centerlock. Every other wheel in the 90's was designed to appear centerlock.

Knock-offs (centerlock) were developed to decrease time for a wheel change. Porsche's street system takes probably 12 times longer than normal 5-bolt. Porsche being ironic once again.

By this logic does the center locking hardware just thread through the area where the center cap would traditionally go? Are center locking wheels specifically engineered for that type of load distribution? Making phone dials unsuited for the task?

Hole count is multiplied to ensure wheel clocks onto hub faster given picking it up at random.

Studs are chamfered, again to ease the wheel clocking onto the hub.

In the old days, the threaded portion had a hole for a pin that would prevent the nut from backing off.

No, you cannot use a normal wheel on a centerlock setup. However, Porsche did make the Cup2 Speedline in both fitments. The CL version did not get holes drilled, but instead a modified center area.

Last edited by FrenchToast; 01-11-2017 at 09:18 PM.
Old 01-11-2017, 10:55 PM
Bmuldoon
Rennlist Member

Very interesting. Appreciate the response and history on Porsche applications.

A shame the most recent Porsche kit is so impractical, not to mention expensive. Photoshop was liking the idea of centerlocking phone dials.

Old 01-12-2017, 11:44 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

that does look pretty bitchin'.
Forgeline, among other brands, make 5-lug to center-lock conversion kits for cheaper than Porsche, and also offer their own branded centerlock wheels for less money...but still a LOT of $$ for a little cosmetics.

I think you should check out my sticker idea...
Old 01-13-2017, 04:59 PM
Jherriott
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

That moment when you're at the side of the road looking for an 8 foot metal fence post for leverage...
Old 01-13-2017, 11:37 PM
968gene
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 30 Posts
Default How about these?

$100

Made by Rennline. http://www.rennline.com/Rennline-Whe...fo/W01/SILVER/
Attached Images  
Old 01-14-2017, 09:36 AM
Bmuldoon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 968gene
Ha, this is a nice idea but if I were to go down this route it would be all or nothing. There are a few companies that are willing to machine a custom set of phone dials with a center locking setup... the catch? The lowest estimate was $6K!!
Old 01-14-2017, 01:17 PM
Jay Wellwood
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 266 Likes on 153 Posts

Ha, this is a nice idea but if I were to go down this route it would be all or nothing. There are a few companies that are willing to machine a custom set of phone dials with a center locking setup... the catch? The lowest estimate was $6K!!
You told 'em it was for a Porsche didn't you?

See, if you had said Miata or Mazda, price coulda been no more than half that.

Quick Reply: '86 951 Center-Lock Conversion