Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any red caliper touch-up paint options???

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2017, 11:32 PM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Received 131 Likes on 90 Posts
Default Any red caliper touch-up paint options???

I'm talking about something at least close available at an auto-parts store, since Porsche doesn't make it. I've seen lots of red options from Hondas, GMs, Fords, etc., but I'd like to avoid having to buy a bunch and not succeed. I ran into a very long construction zone when car was new (on my way to install clearbra, no less), and had to speed up substantially more than I wanted to avoid a stupid truck passing me and breaking my windshield (happened before) and pelting the front with stones. I saved that, but beat the crap out of the paint behind all wheels, and also chipped the calipers in a few places. The paint below is freaking white, and stands out like a sore thumb. Prefer an exact match, but something close would be perfectly fine. Doubt I'm the only one with this problem. And if 911s are the same, might post there if unsuccessful here. Thanks gang.
Old 01-05-2017, 06:58 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

I don't have any personal experience with this product, but I recalled seeing it on Suncoast's site at:

http://suncoastparts.com/product/CALPAINT.html

Customizing brake calipers has never been easier. Dupli-Color Caliper Paint is a durable, protective coating resistant to chipping, brake dust, and automotive chemicals. Formulated with Ceramic resins, this high gloss coating resists temperatures up to 500F. Now available in similar to factory colors: red, black, silver, and yellow!

Features EZ Touch Conical Nozzle
Ceramic Resins Resist Heat Up To 500 Deg. F
Fast Drying Durable Finish
Dry To Touch In 30 Minutes / Handle In 1 Hour
Resistant To Chipping/Chemicals/Brake Dust
For Use On Brake Calipers/Rotors/Drums
4 Free Caliper Decals with purchase, choose your color.
Use as directed. For professional results, professional installation is recommended.

If your wheels also got chipped, this may help as well:

http://www.suncoastparts.com/product/PKWHEELPAINT.html

Porsche doesn't offer wheel touch up paint, so we had a custom batch of Porsche silver wheel paint custom made. Easy to apply, perfect for small chips and nicks on your wheels. Comes with two bottles: base coat of Porsche Silver Wheel Paint and clearcoat.
This will match (or be the closest matching silver) for ALL late model Porsche silver wheels.

Good luck!
Old 01-05-2017, 07:11 PM
Wheel Dynamics
Former Vendor

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Porsche part number: 911-095-932-20 80K
Old 01-05-2017, 11:15 PM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Thank you folks. Will call Suncoast with that Porsche part number. I remember asking them about caliper paint when I placed a large order at the time I bought the car (10 months ago), and they said no such thing. Hope that's true, because it should be basically identical. Will report if that p/n is indeed for our red calipers, and if they can order it.

On the Dupli-Color, I'd need to know if it's a close enough match. Many times it's not, since it's intended for a complete paint job, not to touch-up factory calipers. But if everything else fails, and don't get any more input, I'd try it and also report my results. Thanks again.
Old 01-08-2017, 12:29 PM
Schmidts Cat
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The other thing to consider is if the car has been tracked, the red begins to darken progressively and significantly over time. Not sure if only lightly driven street miles have any effect on Color. Might make touch up color matching a challenge. Good luck.
Old 01-09-2017, 05:51 PM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Wheel Dynamics
Porsche part number: 911-095-932-20
Just called Suncoast, and that p/n (like above, without the '80K') is for GUARDS RED exterior paint, not for the calipers. If it was for the calipers, I'd pay the $26 + $12 shipping. But I'm sure there's something probably even closer available in the myriad of red colors at auto parts stores for just $5. Guess will post this on the other site to see if somebody bites there. Otherwise I'd order the Dupli-Color red caliper spray paint suggested above. Thanks again for all the help.
Old 01-09-2017, 07:02 PM
Wheel Dynamics
Former Vendor

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

FYI, we refinish all of our brake calipers using Guards Red.

The touch-up paint is what we use for our customer's cars when we touch them up.

Old 01-10-2017, 02:30 PM
sunset gun
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A few things--
Duplicolor, while easy to use, WILL darken over time. The company itself says it is good to 500 degrees F.
Two options are VHT caliper paint (like Duplicolor, it's rattle can spray) which is basically a gloss version of their header/engine block paint, is claimed good to 900 F. Next is G2 caliper two-part brush-on paint. G2 claims 980 F.
I've used VHT on cast-iron headers with good results. The color I was told worked best was a charcoal gray, a very cast-ironish color. Guys with more experience than I agree that lighter colors will always be more prone to darken, or worse, turn an unpleasant brown. One good tip I was given was to clean the part well with brake cleaner spray first--DONT sand, I was told.
I have no personal knowledge of G2, but have heard and read good reports.
Last thing: Painting calipers, headers, etc. aint easy, if you want a good result. Calipers, for instance,
should be dismounted, cleaned well, two coats of spray or one coat of brush-on, dried well (24 hours)
then re-assembled and re-mounted. A lot of work.

Good luck.
Old 01-10-2017, 08:53 PM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Wheel Dynamics
[B]FYI, we refinish all of our brake calipers using Guards Red.
They look good, but remember I just have 2 little chips. I'm NOT going to repaint them. Just cover the chip so it doesn't look white. It'd have been awesome to see such a touch-up, since the entire caliper painted guards red tells me nothing as how it compares to the factory caliper paint. But many thanks for your help anyway.

I don't think I need to worry about it discoloring over time, since I don't track my car, and it'll only be a dot of paint. Even if it darkens over time, it'd still be better than white. That's why it'd be awesome to find something that won't cost $40. I think what I'll do is take my car, ask permission to take a few samples outside, put them next to the calipers, and buy the closest one. And yes, I'd post my results here, but don't know when I'd do that.
Old 01-11-2017, 07:24 PM
itsboz
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try buying a can of Rustoleum Sunrise Red. You won't use it for caliper paint but this is the closest I've found to Guards Red. I've painted emblems with it and it was very hard to tell a difference. Perhaps you can use that for touch-ups and it will work, since it's a smaller area and less susceptible to heat issues. If not, you can use that color to see how closely it will match the Duplicolor brake paint.

Quick Reply: Any red caliper touch-up paint options???