Sponsored by:

Porsche 991.2 Carrera GTS Announced

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2017, 07:17 PM
Abe Froman
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Porsche 991.2 Carrera GTS Announced

The 991 GTS is dead. All hail the 991.2 GTS!

https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/prod...rga-13296.html

From March 2017, a total of five variants will be available in Germany:
the 911 Carrera GTS with rear-wheel drive, the 911 Carrera 4 GTS with all-wheel drive – both of the above available as a Coupé and Cabriolet – and the 911 Targa 4 GTS with all-wheel drive. A newly developed turbocharger for 3.0-litre six-cylinder flat engine increases power to 331 kW/450 hp (combined fuel consumption 9.7–8.7 l/100 km; CO2 emissions 220–196g/km). The engine delivers 22 kW (30 hp) more than the 911 Carrera S and 15 kW (20 hp) more than the corresponding GTS prior model with a naturally aspirated engine. All variants are available with a manual seven-gear transmission or optional Porsche Doppelkupplung (PDK).

More power for more performance

The maximum torque of 550 Nm provides even better acceleration and elasticity figures. The torque is available between 2150 and 5000 rpm. Porsche Active Suspension Management (PASM) is included as standard on all GTS models. The GTS Coupés feature the PASM sports chassis, which lowers the body by ten millimetres. The fastest sprinter in the family is the 911 Carrera 4 GTS Coupé: With Porsche Doppelkupplung (PDK) and the Sport Chrono Package as standard, it races from zero to 100 km/h in 3.6 seconds. All GTS models feature a top speed in excess of 300 km/h. The front-runner at 312 km/h is the Coupé with manual transmission and rear-wheel drive. Despite the increase in performance, the GTS remains efficient – the 911 Carrera GTS with PDK, for example, consumes only 8.3 l/100 km according to the NEDC. This corresponds to CO2 emissions of 188 g/km.

Typical GTS: Numerous black elements both inside and out

The GTS models stand out within the 911 model line not only in terms of technology, but also in their visual design: All of the vehicles are based on the wide all-wheel-drive chassis, which measures 1852 mm even on the rear-wheel-drive models. The new Sport Design front apron emphasises the sporty character. The front end is aerodynamically optimised. A low front spoiler and increased rear spoiler extension height further reduce the lift forces on the front and rear axle compared to the Carrera S models. On the rear, the GTS is unmistakeable: smoked tail lights, silk-gloss black air intake grille and central black twin tailpipes of the sports exhaust system, which is included as standard.

The new Porsche 911 Targa 4 GTS

A new black trim strip between the tail lights characterises the rear-wheel-drive models. The light strip is reserved for the all-wheel-drive models. Sport Design exterior mirrors, 20-inch wheels with central locking device painted in silk-gloss black, plus GTS logos on the doors complete the side view. The characteristic Targa bar, which is supplied in black for the first time on the GTS, also lends the 911 Targa a particularly distinctive look.

New Porsche Track Precision app and high-quality equipment

GTS genes also shape the interior. The stopwatch of the Sport Chrono Package is integrated as a central component of the dashboard. The Porsche Track Precision app has been further enhanced specially to coincide with the market launch of the GTS models. Its features include automatic recording, detailed display and analysis of driving data on a smartphone. GTS passengers sit on Alcantara seats with a new stitching pattern. The Sports seats Plus with GTS logos on the headrests can be adjusted in 4-ways electrically and provide increased lateral support and comfort. Other features include brushed, black anodised aluminium trim strips on the instrument cluster as well as a high proportion of Alcantara, which can be found on the steering wheel rim, centre console and armrests, for example.
Old 01-08-2017, 07:42 PM
Abe Froman
Pro

Question: does it make sense to buy a Carrera S? In the past, given the two options, why have people gone with the S when the options included on the GTS are less than they would be individually?
Old 01-08-2017, 07:53 PM
-Ryan-
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

Looks good. I like the blacked out targa roof. That +80 ft. lbs. of torque over my GTS would be fun.
Old 01-08-2017, 07:58 PM
Abe Froman
Pro

A magazine recently clocked the C2S cab 0-60 at 3.2 seconds. These will be beastly.
Old 01-08-2017, 08:06 PM
dmtsc
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by -Ryan-
Looks good. I like the blacked out targa roof. That +80 ft. lbs. of torque over my GTS would be fun.

I agree, the silver Targa Bar is the reason I didn't buy a Targa. That Targa looks sweet.
Old 01-08-2017, 08:11 PM
trice9
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 19 Posts

Looks like they are using larger turbos, and not just a tune to get the extra hp/torque. I don't care for that black targa bar. I think the silver one is more reminiscent of the classic targa look.
Old 01-08-2017, 08:17 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,460 Likes on 2,810 Posts

Originally Posted by Abe Froman
Question: does it make sense to buy a Carrera S? In the past, given the two options, why have people gone with the S when the options included on the GTS are less than they would be individually?
The 991.1 GTS was definitely a high value option in the range. This one looks to be the same. Great looking car.
Old 01-08-2017, 08:22 PM
Al.Fresco
Three Wheelin'

Received 331 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by trice9
I don't care for that black targa bar. I think the silver one is more reminiscent of the classic targa look.
The black bar does flow with the overall concept of the black elements found in the GTS.
Old 01-08-2017, 08:25 PM
Abe Froman
Pro

Originally Posted by Fasttr
The black bar does flow with the overall concept of the black elements found in the GTS.
Agreed. However the silver flows well with your car's color combo!

Last edited by Abe Froman; 01-08-2017 at 08:54 PM.
Old 01-08-2017, 09:11 PM
-Ryan-
Pro

Originally Posted by trice9
Looks like they are using larger turbos, and not just a tune to get the extra hp/torque. I don't care for that black targa bar. I think the silver one is more reminiscent of the classic targa look.
Interesting. I would of assumed it was just a tune.
Old 01-08-2017, 09:13 PM
TorqueChap
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Abe Froman
Agreed. However the silver flows well with your car's color combo!
I'm biased towards a silver bar too

However, the black bar on the GTS will further differentiate that particular model. It's a neat touch.
Old 01-08-2017, 09:20 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,218 Likes on 1,014 Posts

Interesting. I would of assumed it was just a tune.

You are going to get one. Check out the time stamp of your post.
Old 01-08-2017, 09:35 PM
-Ryan-
Pro

Originally Posted by subshooter
You are going to get one. Check out the time stamp of your post.
Ha. I'm on the west coast. Says 5:11. Not buying anymore 911s until we know a lot more about the 992.
Old 01-08-2017, 09:58 PM
captainkirk
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

When does this show up on the configurator? Not in US and Germany's configurator at the moment.
Old 01-08-2017, 11:40 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,569 Likes on 1,599 Posts

Originally Posted by captainkirk
When does this show up on the configurator? Not in US and Germany's configurator at the moment.
Usually quite a while
After the press release.

Quick Reply: Porsche 991.2 Carrera GTS Announced