Sponsored by:

Sound deadening anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2016, 08:53 AM
Overdraft
Rennlist Member

Received 389 Likes on 212 Posts
Default Sound deadening anyone?

I love my 991 TTS...and had only two gripes with it. When I took delivery, there was a nasty creak in it that drove me wacky...and I felt the road noise on a GT cruiser in this price point to be a bit excessive. It is not my first 911 so understand the charm to road noise, but at my age....it is getting a bit 'old' on some days when I am simply wanting to enjoy a highway drive to visit one of my kids in university.

That said, one day in the shop and the tech made the car squeak/ rattle free - perfect....but the road noise is, of course, still there. Has anybody on the board tried a fix for that? Am I the only one who gets bothered by this?
Old 12-08-2016, 09:15 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,404 Likes on 2,513 Posts

How old are your tires? Mileage?
Old 12-08-2016, 03:31 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,581 Likes on 1,604 Posts

You could always put some dynamat on the inside of the doors. Not sure how hard it is to get to the bare metal under the seat but that would help too.
Old 12-08-2016, 03:42 PM
mtony
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Most of the road noise in my car seems to come from the rear wheel wells. I would focus there first.
Old 12-08-2016, 03:43 PM
mmaturo
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My R8GT is quieter. I didn't realize how loud in the car it really is from the road noise until I had my waze on in my R8 or in our Q7 on the same road...its yelling at me where I can barely hear it in my Porsche. My R8 as a GT has less of the sound deadening material to save weight but it still isolates the road noise better. Its coming through the wheel wells too in the Porsche so the doors may help just a little. I have had two sets of new tires on my car but the ambient is always there. I at least plugged the symposer hole so that help bring down the noise level some.
Old 12-08-2016, 03:49 PM
Fred2
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I do wonder the logic of putting a Burmeister (?) system in a car that is so loud you can't hear yourself think.
Old 12-08-2016, 04:19 PM
budrichard
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The road noise is a function of the tires to keep you on the road.
Nothing to be done in my opinion.-Richard
Old 12-08-2016, 04:26 PM
StudGarden
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts

These things are already WAY too much like a Lexus. I wish they'd go the other way with a lot of it including eye rolling tech stuff. It's fine for the Pan and maybe a quarter million dollar over optioned turbo S but IMO a Carrera should be true to itself first. The road noise in a 991 is far from excessive anyway.
Old 12-08-2016, 04:27 PM
kayjh
Drifting

Received 704 Likes on 492 Posts

Originally Posted by budrichard
The road noise is a function of the tires to keep you on the road.
Nothing to be done in my opinion.-Richard
I wouldn't say that is entirely true. I find the 991.2 to suffer from less tire roar than the 991.1, but it certainly isn't as quiet as my 5 series. I agree there is nothing to be done with the OPs current car, but maybe take a drive in a 991.2 and see if it is enough of a difference to make moving up a fix.
Old 12-08-2016, 05:10 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,581 Likes on 1,604 Posts

Originally Posted by Fred2
I do wonder the logic of putting a Burmeister (?) system in a car that is so loud you can't hear yourself think.
I have it in my car, and I'm glad I didn't buy it as an original option. I'd be pissed....you can barely hear the thing clearly.
Old 12-12-2016, 09:19 AM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 464 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by Overdraft
I love my 991 TTS...

..but the road noise is, of course, still there. Has anybody on the board tried a fix for that? Am I the only one who gets bothered by this?
Yep, installed an AM exhaust.. BOOM road noise eliminated!

Old 12-14-2016, 12:44 AM
sanjeev
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The 911 seems to produce a lot of road noise from the rear tires. Used P Zeros are especially loud. I am now using Yokohama Advan Sport as everyday street tires, and they have dropped the interior noise level by a consistent 2-3 dBA at highway speeds 70-75 mph cruise (measured using both an iPhone and a radio shack sound level meter).
I find my car (991 C2S) much more pleasant to drive long distances with now am am happy with this setup for everyday use.
You may want to experiment with tire choices as well.
Hope this helps.
- Sanjeev
The following users liked this post:
bms0918 (01-13-2021)
Old 12-14-2016, 12:51 AM
12v Nick
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 684 Likes on 208 Posts

This is something we've dealt with a good deal over the years. The best combination is to treat the doors and floorboard with a few layers of constrained-layered damping and mass-loaded vinyl. Also, a healthy coating of rubberized deadening to the inside of the rear wheel wells suppresses the "gravel in a tin can" sound and helps cut down on the rear tire hum.

It does add a bit of weight, but nothing substantial. That said, if you're worried about weight that much stop worrying about noise.
The following users liked this post:
bms0918 (01-13-2021)
Old 12-14-2016, 12:51 AM
sanjeev
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The 911 seems to produce a lot of road noise from the rear tires. Used P Zeros are especially loud. I am now using Yokohama Advan Sport as everyday street tires, and they have dropped the interior noise level by a consistent 2-3 dBA at highway speeds 70-75 mph cruise (measured using both an iPhone and a radio shack sound level meter).
I find my car (991 C2S) much more pleasant to drive long distances with now am am happy with this setup for everyday use.
You may want to experiment with tire choices as well.
Hope this helps.
- Sanjeev
Old 12-15-2016, 09:50 PM
Porscheforever
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 12v Nick
This is something we've dealt with a good deal over the years. The best combination is to treat the doors and floorboard with a few layers of constrained-layered damping and mass-loaded vinyl. Also, a healthy coating of rubberized deadening to the inside of the rear wheel wells suppresses the "gravel in a tin can" sound and helps cut down on the rear tire hum. It does add a bit of weight, but nothing substantial. That said, if you're worried about weight that much stop worrying about noise.
This is genius 👍 Wish I had that before. How much weight does it add? Don't care much for weight but just curious😊

Quick Reply: Sound deadening anyone?