Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sound deadening anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2017, 02:46 AM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 84 Posts

I'd start with amazon personally. Probably lots of options so perhaps others have found a better source.

Dynamat is one trade name you can google for starters. Car audio shops carry this stuff and car audio forums discuss it. Mass loaded vinyl is another product that was mentioned. Good coverage will add a bit of weight.
Old 01-08-2017, 03:13 AM
991 Dreamer
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you Ace.
Old 10-08-2017, 10:17 PM
Lancelakewood
AutoX

Default RAAMmat and Ensolite

Last Fall I had a fellow change out carpets in my TR6. I read up and decided to use RAAMmat and Ensolite. The car stereo shop told me it would be a waste. It wasn't. I put it everywhere but the doors. It is in the firewall, tunnel, wheel wells, trunk. I can tell the car is a little slower but it is not a 911 which has about 210 more HP and only a few hundred pounds more weight than than a TR6. I love how I can hear both the radio and the exhaust note on the TR6 much better now.

I am looking at something for sound in my 997.1 C2. I see I have Michelin on back and I forgot the Japanese brand on front. Maybe that is part of the sound problem. Fare amount of wear on the rear.

I love Michelin for sound and ride on my Outback. I have had couple sets. I love them.

I was just now reading on a Tacoma forum where a guy used part Dyanamat and part RAAMat with Ensolite in his truck. He said as far as application goes, Dynamat was easier to work with, less sticky, easier to reposition and get into nooks. He said next time he would get Dynamat but add the Ensolite foam to it.
The following users liked this post:
smell911 (04-30-2023)
Old 10-09-2017, 12:28 AM
shake1
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by BradB
Not much to it, really. I removed each wheel for ease of access. Removal of the front and rear wheel well liners is very simple and quick. I then applied the sound deadening material to the largest flat spots on the back side of the liners. (Per the instructions I warmed the surfaces with a heat gun and then used a small roller to apply the material) I chose areas that made extra noise when I tapped it with my finger. My goal was to reduce the loud sounds made when gravel and stoned hit the liners. That's what really annoyed me and made the car feel "cheap". The difference has been quite noticeable.

During some recent maintenance I checked the sound deadening and two years later the material is still holding tight to the liners with no lifted edges.

Front and rear wheel well liners...

I need to give this a shot one of these weekends. After driving a Cayenne all weekend I realized how loud the 911 is. I don’t mind exhaust / engine sound at all but it’s the road noise and rock sounds I find annoying. Always feels like rocks are rattling around on there. It does feel cheap like you mentioned.
Old 10-09-2017, 02:09 PM
See U n RearView
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

What a great thread! I also like a more soundproofed car. I mean I’ll probably be purchasing a cab so if I want noise, I should be able to hear all I need by opening the cab

thanks for all the great pics. This is a must do for me
Old 10-09-2017, 03:24 PM
991 Dreamer
Advanced

Originally Posted by See U n RearView
What a great thread! I also like a more soundproofed car. I mean I’ll probably be purchasing a cab so if I want noise, I should be able to hear all I need by opening the cab

thanks for all the great pics. This is a must do for me
I have a cab and still hate all the road noise. Love the angry engine though

I’m surprised Porsche doesn’t create a package to reduce the noise and charge us an exorbitant amount to fatten their bank account. I’m sure a lot of people would select it.
Old 10-09-2017, 10:05 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 304 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by shake1
I need to give this a shot one of these weekends. After driving a Cayenne all weekend I realized how loud the 911 is. I don’t mind exhaust / engine sound at all but it’s the road noise and rock sounds I find annoying. Always feels like rocks are rattling around on there. It does feel cheap like you mentioned.
It's just one of those things that when you test drive a 911 and hear the gravel and other noises you say to yourself "you've got to be kidding".
A couple of pounds of rubberized coating on the inner wheel wheels would do wonders to knock down the tin can noise.

Edit: One thing that makes the gravel noise worse is the stickiness of the tires. The tires pick up the gravel by adhesion and then the gravel is released by the force of the spinning tire.
Attached Images  
Old 10-17-2017, 08:49 AM
See U n RearView
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 991 Dreamer
I have a cab and still hate all the road noise. Love the angry engine though

I’m surprised Porsche doesn’t create a package to reduce the noise and charge us an exorbitant amount to fatten their bank account. I’m sure a lot of people would select it.

That would be a big seller! What maybe $1750
Old 10-17-2017, 09:02 AM
Bemo
Drifting

Received 262 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by See U n RearView
That would be a big seller! What maybe $1750
I’ll pay for sound deadening and 2 more sound symposers, to pump even more NA noise into the cabin!
Old 10-17-2017, 09:04 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Bemo
I’ll pay for sound deadening and 2 more sound symposers, to pump even more NA noise into the cabin!
IPD plenum and BMC filters will do this.

Quick Reply: Sound deadening anyone?