Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2016, 10:17 PM
12v Nick
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 684 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by Porscheforever
This is genius 👍 Wish I had that before. How much weight does it add? Don't care much for weight but just curious😊
It helps a ton.

The Mass-Loaded Vinyl is the heaviest, a full coupe treatment front to rear probably has 35lbs of that. The CLD material is around 15lbs and the spray on is maybe 5lbs.

So, maybe ~55lbs total.
Old 12-16-2016, 12:28 AM
BradB
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

I lined the inside of the plastic wheel well liners with Dynamat almost two years ago. It made an appreciable difference. Glad I did it.
Old 12-16-2016, 03:50 AM
planet
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BradB
I lined the inside of the plastic wheel well liners with Dynamat almost two years ago. It made an appreciable difference. Glad I did it.
Can you explain how? Do you have photos?
Old 12-16-2016, 12:33 PM
BradB
Drifting

Originally Posted by planet
Can you explain how? Do you have photos?
Not much to it, really. I removed each wheel for ease of access. Removal of the front and rear wheel well liners is very simple and quick. I then applied the sound deadening material to the largest flat spots on the back side of the liners. (Per the instructions I warmed the surfaces with a heat gun and then used a small roller to apply the material) I chose areas that made extra noise when I tapped it with my finger. My goal was to reduce the loud sounds made when gravel and stoned hit the liners. That's what really annoyed me and made the car feel "cheap". The difference has been quite noticeable.

During some recent maintenance I checked the sound deadening and two years later the material is still holding tight to the liners with no lifted edges.

Front and rear wheel well liners...

Old 12-16-2016, 12:37 PM
fastdiablo
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Nice work Brad! Great mod.
Old 12-17-2016, 06:54 PM
skynet
Rennlist Member

Brad, sounds like your mod was successful muffling loose gravel. Did it tone down tire 'roar'? The droning you can get on coarse roads?
Old 12-17-2016, 07:02 PM
BradB
Drifting

Oh yes, I feel it did. Mind you, I could have done more regarding extra sound deadening coverage but the goal was stuff that hits the plastic liners (and there is a LOT!) not the tire roar which wasn't as much of an issue for me. But if that is your goal I would start here before you get into the big job with the interior as illustrated by others above.
Old 12-17-2016, 07:50 PM
planet
Instructor

Thanks, Brad! Interesting!
Old 01-06-2017, 01:24 AM
malahhaor
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 102 Posts

I had the same issue in my 997.1. It was a DD and noise was too much even though tires were good.
Even Dynomat and Closed Cell foam just in the doors made a noticeable (to me) difference in absorbing the road noise. I was going to pull the entire interior and line the floor and wheel wells but had to sell the car before i got to it.
Some closed-cell foam i think will help allot in absorbing some of that high pitch road noise.
Old 01-06-2017, 03:17 PM
77tony
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 116 Posts

Not much to it, really. I removed each wheel for ease of access. Removal of the front and rear wheel well liners is very simple and quick. I then applied the sound deadening material to the largest flat spots on the back side of the liners. (Per the instructions I warmed the surfaces with a heat gun and then used a small roller to apply the material) I chose areas that made extra noise when I tapped it with my finger. My goal was to reduce the loud sounds made when gravel and stoned hit the liners. That's what really annoyed me and made the car feel "cheap". The difference has been quite noticeable.

During some recent maintenance I checked the sound deadening and two years later the material is still holding tight to the liners with no lifted edges.

Way to go
Old 01-06-2017, 10:10 PM
OKB
Three Wheelin'

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

sound deadening material is not meant to be sound blocking material. It does not and cannot block sound like a wall. it is applied to a surface to deaden vibration. Vibration causes most sound
If you look at the job 12v nick did on his floor, thats the intent of deadening material. If you would (I did) apply the material to the wheel well, where you took the plastic off of, you would get alot more sound deadening. You can do it inside, if you take the carpets out, and outside where you took the liners off.
The following users liked this post:
itbme (05-29-2024)
Old 01-07-2017, 08:13 PM
budrichard
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

How fast have you driven your car?
At top speed, I have no idea of the forces generated in the wheel wells by air flow but I would be concerned if any of the material came off at speed.
For me, it is what it is, and without an engineering understanding of what's involved, I will live with it.-Richard
Old 01-07-2017, 08:54 PM
BradB
Drifting

Originally Posted by budrichard
How fast have you driven your car?
At top speed, I have no idea of the forces generated in the wheel wells by air flow but I would be concerned if any of the material came off at speed.
Just north of 150. No change in material adhesion over the last couple years.

Old 01-08-2017, 12:58 AM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 84 Posts

The stuff is very sticky, and from the picture it's not on the same side as the wheel is so even if it came loose it wouldn't fall off the car.
Old 01-08-2017, 01:41 AM
991 Dreamer
Advanced

Great thread. Where is the best place to buy the sound deadening material?

Quick Reply: Sound deadening anyone?