Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Victor Reinz head gaskets reputation?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2016, 03:20 PM
CrookedRacer
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Victor Reinz head gaskets reputation?

Recently I excitedly posted my recent purchase of a large number of rebuild parts on Facebook, and I got independent private responses from two BMW folks... that I should reconsider my selection of Victor Reinz head gaskets. I guess some number of VR gaskets have failed some number of BMW owners at some point in time.

Our 944 engines are certainly a lot different than an M42 iron block. So I suspect the head gaskets are constructed differently, and whatever problem occurred on a BMW engine probably doesn't apply to us. I couldn't find a disparaging word here on this forum, in any case.

I just wanted to check the consensus here, and I'm interested to hear if any p-car peeps have any reservations about using the VR brand in our cars.

Now, just from personal experience, I will not be using the black main seal that came in the lower block kit. I liked the look of the brick-red Beck-Arnley seal that I just installed in my stand-in engine, and the fact that it had a red one before and had no leaks.

I've seen anecdotes for both sides of the black vs. red main seal debate.

And I just want to say, this isn't to disparage any brand over another. I can't point to ANY instance of failure, even for BMW's. I just need to do the due diligence and ask.

Thanks!
Old 11-29-2016, 03:26 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 650 Likes on 504 Posts

Victor reinz is the only company that makes head gasket for 944.
I have done at least a dozen 944 head gasket jobs, including my own, and have never had a problem with them.

Don't know why the BMW guys can't get it right...Reinz makes good parts that do their job.
Old 11-29-2016, 03:44 PM
gmgracing
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 445 Likes on 264 Posts

As a vintage BMW guy personally, and someone who ran one of the more well-known parts manufacture/suppliers for several years I have a bit of experience on this.

The VR stigma stems from the bmw M20 engine's head gasket. On that specific application it is known that VR is not the best option out there, however that is to say it was not unusable. I found most people who had issues with that gasket, were guys who did not follow the basic procedures of having the head skimmed. They were typically taking an unknown junkyard head and trying to save a couple bucks by slapping it straight on. So in short, no they weren't the best, however they weren't unusable, and they are often used as the scapegoat of hack mechanic (when things go south).

- Andrew Adams

sales@gmgracing.com
www.gmgracing.com

facebook l instagram l youtube l twitter

Porsche | Audi | Ferrari | Lamborghini | McLaren
Performance Tuning | Motorsport | Factory Service

Pirelli World Challege Race Team GT/GTA/GTS/TC
Pirelli GT3 Cup Trophy USA
Porsche Motorsport — Audi Sport Customer Racing — Lamborghini Super Trofeo Series

Last edited by gmgracing; 11-29-2016 at 08:10 PM.
Old 11-29-2016, 03:46 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 63 Posts

I've had out-of-spec Glyco bearings... But always had good luck with the Victor Reinz stuff.
Old 11-29-2016, 03:50 PM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 409 Posts

I'd be more worried with POS goetze rings. I would never use goetze.
Old 11-29-2016, 04:50 PM
snb13
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cometic also makes a head gasket.
Old 11-29-2016, 06:18 PM
pfarah7
Rennlist Member

Received 237 Likes on 154 Posts

I'm not sure about the head gaskets, but I've used VR front seals (camshaft, balance shaft and oil pump/sleeve) with great results.
Old 11-29-2016, 06:23 PM
CrookedRacer
Instructor

Thanks for the feedback guys! A little more than I bargained for, but it's all good to know!

Let's just hope this all works out for the best. I'll be doing what I can to measure bearing clearance with plastigage, I guess. I don't have anything else to measure with, unless I'm able to borrow some bore gauges here locally.

Follow my build on Grassroots Motorsports if you're interested to see how this all works out:

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/fo.../105890/page1/
Old 11-29-2016, 06:35 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Checking with Plastigage is better than nothing. Also check for bearings that are too long (don't sit flush) and also ones that are "crooked".
Attached Images    
Old 11-29-2016, 06:43 PM
CrookedRacer
Instructor

"Crooked"? What's so wrong with "Crooked"?

Thanks for the examples of what to look for. I am kind of hoping my rods aren't damaged too much by the heat and the beating they took on that last lap at Watkins Glen, so we'll see if anything fits into them at all! I might have to buy some replacement connecting rods, and so I'll start another thread tonight to have them critiqued.

Thanks again for this useful information!
Old 11-29-2016, 07:28 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

I can tell you that dollars-to-doughnuts, the big ends of your rods are out of round... I highly recommend Michael Mount's $350 rod bearing retrofit for 2JZ bearings. He'll make the big ends round again and include the new bearings.
Old 11-29-2016, 11:13 PM
CrookedRacer
Instructor

I fear Michael Mount has retired. His shop, where I just had my head rebuilt, seems to have moved away from the 944 short block work.

I hope I just misunderstood the machinist when I asked about having my crank cross-drilled.
Old 11-29-2016, 11:51 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CrookedRacer
I fear Michael Mount has retired. His shop, where I just had my head rebuilt, seems to have moved away from the 944 short block work.

I hope I just misunderstood the machinist when I asked about having my crank cross-drilled.
Michael just did my 16-valve head 2 weeks ago...
Old 12-01-2016, 10:22 PM
RJ80
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 44 Posts

I also own an Alfa Romeo Milano and the VR headgaskets are very highly regarded by the expert V6 Alfa guys.
Old 12-06-2016, 07:03 PM
elanman
Advanced

Default Victor Reinz

I am not sure what the basis of VR head gasket reliability is based on. I can't imagine how any other company can supply a gasket that will work. The manufacturer of the engine will spend millions(yes millions) of dollars testing the engine with the OEM supplier VR it will do numerous test including durability and thermal shock to name two out of forty tests. How can an after market company do the same ? They will just perform over engineering and hope the gasket works! Each engine test may cost $500000 in a engine Dyno cell
Can't see it myself,even with a new MLS gasket ! Use the gasket used by Porsche when they designed and developed the engine unless you want to run 800hp engines which bear no resemblance to the original 44 engine

Quick Reply: Victor Reinz head gaskets reputation?