996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

New member and potential purchase. Help required. 996 C4S

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2016, 01:00 AM
Triple Black
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Looks great to me. Good luck with the PPI!
Old 11-16-2016, 09:57 PM
Pmerrywe
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The PPI flagged up some major work being required and as a result I won't be pursuing this car. Real shame but glad it was caught before i committed myself. Back to searching!
Old 11-17-2016, 10:38 AM
joe-1972
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I just saw this post... I was going to suggest going to look at the car with you and seeing if my eye spotted anything for you. ( I'm only 30 minutes away from the car) But you already did your due diligence and are walking... good choice... If shes not exactly what you want WALK.

If your interested in a more modern P-car (Water Cooled) please come to our next Autocross school in the spring... tons of cars... lots of friendly people... you can check out the different models and talk with the owners... get the real in's and out's directly from the owners!
Old 11-17-2016, 10:51 AM
GTsilber
Instructor

Originally Posted by Pmerrywe
The PPI flagged up some major work being required and as a result I won't be pursuing this car. Real shame but glad it was caught before i committed myself. Back to searching!
Do you mind elaborating on the issues that were detected? Curious as I just recently purchased a C4S with more miles and am looking for some PM tasks.
Old 11-17-2016, 04:35 PM
lingpoen
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought mine in 2011. fabulous car. u will luv one, when u find the right one. maybe I just got lucky. pm me if u want-

m
Old 11-18-2016, 01:38 AM
eugeneflim
AutoX

Funny thing, I looked at this exact ad a couple of weeks ago, even made an appointment, but bought a different C4 from a private party same day :-)
BUT the salesperson (Hamilton) keeps calling me every few days, pretending he doesn't remember that I already bought a different car.
Beware of this place.
Old 11-18-2016, 09:01 PM
Pmerrywe
Intermediate

Same guy who I was dealing with. There were a few stories with the car and this place which just didn't add up.

The issue was a louder tappet noise on one side of the engine which apparently is related to issues in the middle cylinder.

I have to say the place I went for the PPI was absolutely amazing and spent a lot of time talking to me and going through the cars issues. Highly recommend them if your local to Chicago. Rennology is the name of the place.

The search continues!
Old 11-19-2016, 12:49 AM
eugeneflim
AutoX

Yes, I may go visit them, to take care of some minor things. With the weather like this there are a few 996's still available in Chicagoland. Do an expanded Craigslist search (200 miles from your zip), you will see a few. I actually looked at another car (black C4, 1999), but I didn't like that the hood was repainted at some point in time, and there was a minor accident on CarFax. Also, I truly hated what they did to the entertainment system - they removed the bottom center console, and installed a hideous aftermarket radio, which didn't even work well! It's amazing that well-kept car can be such a turn-off after-all.
Old 11-19-2016, 02:56 PM
Pmerrywe
Intermediate

So what's happening here? Looked at another car today and the bumpers are both a slightly different shade than the body.

See attached picture.
is this normal for the paint to fade over time with it being on plastic or is it more of a concern? Seems odd both bumpers are off colour and not just one.

Old 11-20-2016, 11:30 AM
jaetee
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

https://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-...k-and-tan.html

I know you're looking specifically for C4S, but just in case a sorted C2 cab would do the trick for you... and you're in the mood for a trip to FL to come pick it up.

I will get blackstone results back in a week or so, mailed out the sample yesterday.
Old 11-20-2016, 11:57 AM
jaetee
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

So what's happening here? Looked at another car today and the bumpers are both a slightly different shade than the body.

See attached picture.
is this normal for the paint to fade over time with it being on plastic or is it more of a concern? Seems odd both bumpers are off colour and not just one.

Bumpers have most likely been repainted to make it more appealing to prospective buyers... Pretty standard practice by alll manner of used car lots and dealers.
Old 11-20-2016, 12:01 PM
Triple Black
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

See attached picture.

Probably been resprayed. It's not uncommon for the front bumper due to rock chips. The rear - not so much.
Old 11-20-2016, 12:50 PM
Vdubjetta02
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pretty common for an older car (IE. 996) to have had a bumper replacement or re-spray as mentioned above.
Old 01-06-2017, 09:20 PM
Pmerrywe
Intermediate

Hello everyone. Been a while, but have been looking for the right car. Based on the IMS and other issues I started to raise the budget and search for 997's by going up to $35k. There were some below 55k miles on a 2006. I then came across the turbo 996 and did some asking about. Seems this engine should be pretty robust and as long as it has been looked after isn't so effected by mileage. The one I have found is a 2002 911 for around $35k with 90k on the odometer.
I'm going to take a look at it tomorrow and hoped I could get some advice on things to be looking for. Is there anything in the engine which is a typical fault with an engine of this age and mileage?
Old 01-07-2017, 12:21 AM
Gbug
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The 996tt has a mezger engine, completely different from the m96 that the c4s has, so there are no IMS issues to worry about.

Quick Reply: New member and potential purchase. Help required. 996 C4S