Sponsored By:

installed LED side marker lights

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2016, 11:38 PM
jay958
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default installed LED side marker lights

so installed them, plugged them in and they look great, other than trying to locate the LED daytime running lamp positive for the white wire. Any help on where to locate it?

used a plastic plyer to ply, i used a dental floss to help with lifting

removed the headlight and the side marker

this was the stock side marker blacked out using the vinyl paper

this is the light standing still

flashing side signal

this is the standing still with engine on, if connecting the white wire i should be able to use the surrounding LED
Old 11-16-2016, 12:15 AM
MountainStone
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I can't help with locating the circuit you seek; just wanted to say thanks for the photos. I like the look of the clear lens. Once you get the white lights operational please post a pic. I can't envision how the car will look with white lights on the side, rather than amber.
Old 11-16-2016, 02:59 AM
raolc
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh man you beat me to it! I just ordered these from IJDMTOY last week and I got them today. Thought the installation would be easy like it was on my Cayman but then I realized it's not easy to pop those side markers out.

The manual I read mentioned accessing the side markers through the wheel well (remove the trim and there should be some pins to remove). Is removing the headlight an alternative method or is the wheel well route completely incorrect? Which is easier if they are both options?

I too am interested in finding out what I need to do with that white wire.
Old 11-16-2016, 04:46 AM
raolc
Instructor

Originally Posted by raolc
Oh man you beat me to it! I just ordered these from IJDMTOY last week and I got them today. Thought the installation would be easy like it was on my Cayman but then I realized it's not easy to pop those side markers out.

The manual I read mentioned accessing the side markers through the wheel well (remove the trim and there should be some pins to remove). Is removing the headlight an alternative method or is the wheel well route completely incorrect? Which is easier if they are both options?

I too am interested in finding out what I need to do with that white wire.
Been scouring google for info about connecting that white wire. One guy went to the battery instead but that was a different car (probably an option for us too?). Anyway I didn't know that this required tapping into wires, knowing that I think I'll find someone more familiar with this kind of work to do it tomorrow.
Old 11-16-2016, 12:27 PM
jay958
Advanced

poping out the side marker took some effort but not bad, I researched a bit, there are two options, you either do a fuse tap on the ACC or you just tap on the DRL positive (brutal force).
Now the first option would require quire some wiring, the 2nd option would require quite some work accessing that DRL connector, you can see it through the headlight opening looking down, but one hand will not fit in there to remove the connector let alone doing wire stripping and tapping it, my guess is maybe i need to remove the bumper. I kinda refuse to believe its that complicated since from the design of headlight that it is that easy to remove, i would think Porsche geniues would bless me with an easy removal of the DRL stripe.
oh well, if you have someone do that for you, please please do me a favor and post a picture or instruction, for now I am thinking i'll tackle it when i have the Thanksgiving weekend.
Old 11-16-2016, 03:20 PM
raolc
Instructor

Getting it done here at Haas Entertainment in Culver City, CA.

He connected it to the headlight connector since those have the daytime running lights. So during the day when the headlight DRLs are on the LED will be white and at night when they are off (and the headlight is on) the LED will be amber.

So it should be easy for you since you already have the headlight disconnected.
Old 11-16-2016, 04:51 PM
jay958
Advanced

thank you very much raolc, this should be piece of cake then, and now i know i should tap the yellow/blue combo line in the 2nd slot, CHEERS!
Old 11-16-2016, 06:21 PM
raolc
Instructor

Originally Posted by jay958
thank you very much raolc, this should be piece of cake then, and now i know i should tap the yellow/blue combo line in the 2nd slot, CHEERS!
happy to help. enjoy, the LEDs look awesome!
Old 11-23-2016, 04:39 PM
jay958
Advanced

more photos below, unfortunately wires are much different between S and TT (raolc thank you for your photo but that same slot didn't give any power on my S, but thank you anyhow).
I stripped and tapped every wire and finally found one. Now it works like a charm, excuse my electrical tapes but it was a small wound so its holding up just fine. As long as the outside looks good, whats inside stays inside

I tapped every single wire in the headlight socket and only found this brownish wire that would work when DRL is on

Old 11-23-2016, 06:52 PM
raolc
Instructor

Congrats, it looks beautiful! RIP wire covers
Old 09-04-2017, 05:21 PM
MayorMcCheese
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm in the process of doing this right now on my S .. for the headlight wiring on your S did you pop off the headlight?

Originally Posted by jay958
more photos below, unfortunately wires are much different between S and TT (raolc thank you for your photo but that same slot didn't give any power on my S, but thank you anyhow).
I stripped and tapped every wire and finally found one. Now it works like a charm, excuse my electrical tapes but it was a small wound so its holding up just fine. As long as the outside looks good, whats inside stays inside

I tapped every single wire in the headlight socket and only found this brownish wire that would work when DRL is on

Old 09-05-2017, 06:11 PM
MayorMcCheese
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I have this semi completed these LED side markers today. Taking off the headlight I'm amazed by how easy it is to take them off. The passenger side white wire from the side marker snapped off off the base to the point where I could not fix it but the orange blinker works still so i need to replace the passenger side but very happy.

I will upload a quick little video I took today later
Attached Images    
Old 09-05-2017, 10:08 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,151 Likes on 764 Posts

Moving this over to the 958 forum since I doubt this has a lot of interest with 955//957 owners. Hang on..
Old 02-20-2019, 05:43 PM
Tony Irnm Stark
1st Gear

Default 2012 958 base

Originally Posted by MayorMcCheese
I have this semi completed these LED side markers today. Taking off the headlight I'm amazed by how easy it is to take them off. The passenger side white wire from the side marker snapped off off the base to the point where I could not fix it but the orange blinker works still so i need to replace the passenger side but very happy.

I will upload a quick little video I took today later
Ok question... I have a base model... No drl I headlight .. If I tap into that same part of the harness will the brown wire still be available?
Old 02-22-2019, 02:14 AM
Rennmaschine
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default DRL Setting

Originally Posted by Tony Irnm Stark
Ok question... I have a base model... No drl I headlight .. If I tap into that same part of the harness will the brown wire still be available?
I think all 958 come factory equipped with DRLs, with a setting to toggle enable/disable. Maybe your DRLs are just disabled? For a 2012, check: Main Menu->Vehicle->Settings->Light & Visibility->Exterior Lights->Daytime Light, then tick the box for ‘Daytime driving lights are activated’

Quick Reply: installed LED side marker lights