Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: did YOUR car suffer an IMS failure
yes, the IMS failed
5.66%
No issues with IMS
94.34%
Voters: 1662. You may not vote on this poll

IMS failure for your 997 car, Y or N? tell us (yr, 997.1, .2, m96, m97, failure mode)

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2016, 07:22 AM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 91 Likes on 59 Posts

This is a frightening article......

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...-ball-bearings
Old 10-13-2016, 07:50 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,801 Likes on 4,330 Posts

With the "death rattle" sound, oil leaking from the car, and a lot of ferrous material stuck to the magnetic drain plug, I'm sorry to say that this sounds like a textbook IMS bearing failure. On an early car, it's a crap-shoot Aston whether the small IMS bearings fail, and it sounds like you are one of the unlucky ones. If I had a small bearing car, I'd proactively install the IMS Solution. Your best option if you love the car, plan to keep it for a long time, and is otherwise in excellent condition, is probably to buy an RND engine. Might even be an opportunity to upsize the motor. Good luck and let us know once the diagnosis is confirmed.

Originally Posted by Stone859
Hello:

I have an early 2005, 987 (Boxster) and on 10/10/16 I had an IMS failure. Here are the details:
- Purchased the car new on June 21, 2005, now i- has 26,466 miles.
- Do my own oil changes and treat them like a ritual... every year. Use Mobile One 0-40, cut filter open check with a magnet. On 4/9/14, at 17,037 miles, I installed a LN magnetic plug and their Spin-on-Filter.
- Last oil change was on 4/15/16 at 19,862 miles... I still have the cut-open "clean" filter.
- Driving habits are spirited, but respectful...long trips mostly...always get the car warmed up.
- Received paper work for the Class Action Law Suit...my car fit the parameters. However, I don't know if I'm in the Class Action or not. I never filed a IMS claim and got a letter from the lawyers that said I don't get any money because I had no claim. The car is just over 11 years old...if this failure would have happened on June 20, 2015 (making it under 10 years old), I believe it would have been fully covered.
- Failure happened on the highway, I sort of felt something in my butt...parked the car not knowing there was a problem, saw oil under it when I came out, but didn't really think it was mine...went to start the car and heard a terrible "rattle"! I shut it down immediately and called a tow truck.
- Car is at the dealer, the drain plug looks like a "Chia Pet", only with metal hair. Not 100% sure that it is an IMS failure but everybody thinks so...I think it is too. Waiting for Porsche's top mechanic to look at it and confirm.

I know this thread is for 996/997 owners but I'm thinking they both have the same IMS as my 987, and are experiencing the same problem. This thread is really detailed, and has gotten good responses from some pretty smart people so I though I'd throw the problem out to you guys. Let me know if there's anyplace else I might post it.

What should I do? I'm just sick about this! I've always owned at least one Porsche since I came back from overseas in 1975 (four 911's and a 914...I tend to hold onto them for a while...the 914 I had for almost twenty years), and have always done most of my own work. However, this is my first new Porsche. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old 10-17-2016, 11:38 AM
rickdogg82
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I am no legal expert. But if you were not part of the class shouldn't you be able to bring a lawsuit on your own?
Old 10-17-2016, 01:44 PM
Stone859
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the replies. My car's at the Porsche dealership and I'm not really feeling he love. They say they need to verify it is an IMS failure...I'm OK with that, however, to do that they'll pull the transmission. The pulling will cost me $630 (putting it back together will double the amount so once I have them take it apart they kinda have me hooked)...if they determine if it's IMS then they send it up the chain to Porsche and they decide the "Goodwill" and what I am worth to them. It was suggested that I sue Porsche...not sure how to do that, I don't have unlimited funds...I don't even know if I'm a member of the law suit...I sent in paper work (to the law firm but never joined or signed anything) but received a rejection letter from the lawyers because I didn't hadn't spent any money.

Any ideas...I'm all ears.

Thanks
Old 11-03-2016, 12:03 AM
Craft
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi All, first post (and Porsche) and wanted to contribute to this poll on the IMS.
2005 997.1 M96
19,800 Miles
No issue with IMS.
Also, I purchased a warranty through the local dealer. 5 yr 60K additional miles on engine and transmission. I did not buy the car from the dealer. More importantly, the warranty was only available for purchase until the end of this calendar year. If you have an '05 and are interested in after market warranties, jump on it soon.
Stone859, sorry about your predicament. Hope you find the resolution you're looking for.
Old 11-03-2016, 12:16 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,801 Likes on 4,330 Posts

What did the warranty cost you? I have 2 '05s and might consider it, at least for my wife's DD that will see about that many miles in 5 years.

Originally Posted by Craft
Hi All, first post (and Porsche) and wanted to contribute to this poll on the IMS.
2005 997.1 M96
19,800 Miles
No issue with IMS.
Also, I purchased a warranty through the local dealer. 5 yr 60K additional miles on engine and transmission. I did not buy the car from the dealer. More importantly, the warranty was only available for purchase until the end of this calendar year. If you have an '05 and are interested in after market warranties, jump on it soon.
Stone859, sorry about your predicament. Hope you find the resolution you're looking for.
Old 11-03-2016, 10:27 AM
Craft
8th Gear

Originally Posted by Petza914
What did the warranty cost you? I have 2 '05s and might consider it, at least for my wife's DD that will see about that many miles in 5 years.
It was $3500 for the Primary Care protection through http://easycare.com/vehicle-service-contracts/. Covers a little more than their basic coverage.
Old 11-03-2016, 06:04 PM
Gerg
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Craft
It was $3500 for the Primary Care protection through http://easycare.com/vehicle-service-contracts/. Covers a little more than their basic coverage.
Thank you for the link! The warranty covers "All internal, lubricated parts." I've wondered about this limitation when looking at warranty contracts. The IMS bearing would not be covered then would it? I ask because I would like to purchase a warranty if the IMS, and scoring would be covered.
Old 11-04-2016, 03:18 AM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Gerg
Thank you for the link! The warranty covers "All internal, lubricated parts." I've wondered about this limitation when looking at warranty contracts. The IMS bearing would not be covered then would it? I ask because I would like to purchase a warranty if the IMS, and scoring would be covered.
Well, it didn't say lubricated by what. The IMSB is lubricated by the bearing grease by design and splashed engine oil in practice. Either case it's lubricated It would have blown up if it's not lubricated.

If it said "lubricated by engine oil", I suppose they can try to argue the IMSB is not lubricated by the engine oil by design.
Old 11-05-2016, 07:34 PM
street rod
Drifting

Received 266 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by Ahsai
Well, it didn't say lubricated by what. The IMSB is lubricated by the bearing grease by design and splashed engine oil in practice. Either case it's lubricated It would have blown up if it's not lubricated.

If it said "lubricated by engine oil", I suppose they can try to argue the IMSB is not lubricated by the engine oil by design.
Good point.
Old 11-06-2016, 10:28 AM
majariwr
Intermediate

Default No failure

2005 997.1 Carrera S. 61k miles. 3rd owner, had it 4+ years since 28k on the clock. Early '05 VIN in the sweet spot for failure. Car runs great. Used for 3 years as daily driver. My long commute and the ability to "stretch its legs" might contribute to lack of failure? Anyway, oil and filter changed ever 5-6k. Oil filter always clean, nothing on magnetic plug. Either one of the lucky ones, or the problem is overstated.
Old 11-06-2016, 03:58 PM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 91 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by majariwr
2005 997.1 Carrera S. 61k miles. 3rd owner, had it 4+ years since 28k on the clock. Early '05 VIN in the sweet spot for failure. Car runs great. Used for 3 years as daily driver. My long commute and the ability to "stretch its legs" might contribute to lack of failure? Anyway, oil and filter changed ever 5-6k. Oil filter always clean, nothing on magnetic plug. Either one of the lucky ones, or the problem is overstated.
As your car is an "S", it likely has the larger bearing.
Old 11-06-2016, 04:44 PM
majariwr
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Fahrer

Guess i I didn't appreciate the association of the larger, more reliable (?) bearing with the S. thanks for that. I'll probably sleep a little better tonight.
Old 11-06-2016, 06:15 PM
jchapura
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by majariwr
2005 997.1 Carrera S...Early '05 VIN in the sweet spot for failure...
Hello majariwr - do you know your build date; mine's on the driver side door? And your engine serial number (left side lower area)?

Last edited by jchapura; 11-06-2016 at 06:17 PM. Reason: punctuation
Old 11-15-2016, 01:46 AM
mgordon18
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by Fahrer
This is actually not true. The S cars (before approximately April of '05) also had the smaller bearings. All cars started getting the upgrade at about the same time.

Quick Reply: IMS failure for your 997 car, Y or N? tell us (yr, 997.1, .2, m96, m97, failure mode)