Sponsored by:

Help With Convertible Top

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2016, 10:35 PM
ilikebigbumpers
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Help With Convertible Top

So the edge of my soft top isn't seating into the frame on the passenger side. There's a strap that's pulling the edge off the frame. Anybody ever ran into this problem? How can I fix this?
Old 10-26-2016, 12:06 AM
lomax
Instructor

Put the top in the service position, 1/2 open, and then follow the part where it is coming out all the way back. There is a cable that runs the length of the top that should be snapped in towards the back. This should be snapped in to the body down inside a bit. If it has come unsnapped or maybe broken this could be the reason the top has pulled up as in your picture. I don't want to say this but if the cable is snapped in place but loos then it could also be broken up by the windshield frame.

While you are in there you can unsnap the cable on the other side also and fold up the rear part of the top. The tray that the top fits down into and be easily lifted out and you can inspect the rest of the good parts that make it all work.

Those that actually know what they are talking about will be along soon to set you straight.

Marc

Last edited by lomax; 10-26-2016 at 09:39 AM.
Old 10-26-2016, 04:24 AM
wyo
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Had the same issue
in my case The 2 nylon straps that connects the 2 sides of the canvas top that are Shown in the picture had come apart at the spring that connects the straps.

there is a spring connecting the nylon straps that pulls the canvas in so the top fits inside the frame when closing
Old 10-26-2016, 06:36 AM
JTT
Rennlist Member

Received 352 Likes on 255 Posts

I think the others have it nailed. Mine was doing the opposite and sitting out over the lip edge. Turned out the strap and come unsown from the roof at one side and released tension. I just took and needle and thread and stitched it back....all good.
Old 10-26-2016, 10:55 AM
ilikebigbumpers
Advanced

Originally Posted by lomax
Put the top in the service position, 1/2 open, and then follow the part where it is coming out all the way back. There is a cable that runs the length of the top that should be snapped in towards the back. This should be snapped in to the body down inside a bit. If it has come unsnapped or maybe broken this could be the reason the top has pulled up as in your picture. I don't want to say this but if the cable is snapped in place but loos then it could also be broken up by the windshield frame.

While you are in there you can unsnap the cable on the other side also and fold up the rear part of the top. The tray that the top fits down into and be easily lifted out and you can inspect the rest of the good parts that make it all work.

Those that actually know what they are talking about will be along soon to set you straight.

Marc
I found the cable on the driver side. But it appears to be the electric cable going to the front latch. So there naturally isn't a matching one on the passenger side?

I also followed your advice to inspect the rest of the stuff at the back of the top. There's quite a bit of loose strings and fabrics, but they all look to be part of the headliner, and not part of what holds the outer canvas together.

The local stealership was no help, as expected. They said they don't deal with tops and told me to find a trim shop.
Old 10-26-2016, 10:59 AM
ilikebigbumpers
Advanced

Originally Posted by wyo
Had the same issue
in my case The 2 nylon straps that connects the 2 sides of the canvas top that are Shown in the picture had come apart at the spring that connects the straps.

there is a spring connecting the nylon straps that pulls the canvas in so the top fits inside the frame when closing
The nylon straps are connected to the spring. The problem is actually the nylon strap on the passenger side pulling the canvas off the frame.

Incidentally, how do I disconnect the straps from the spring? It's all hidden inside a pocket in the headliner.
Old 10-26-2016, 11:17 AM
frisbee91
Three Wheelin'

Received 68 Likes on 52 Posts

Check this thread for more info on this issue:
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...ight-pics.html

Old 10-30-2016, 10:31 PM
ilikebigbumpers
Advanced

Originally Posted by frisbee91
Check this thread for more info on this issue:
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...ight-pics.html

Thanks. Read through the thread and diagnosed the problem. Turns out the rivet inside the top frame snapped. Re-riveted and fixed the problem.
​​​​​
Old 10-31-2016, 08:24 AM
996inTX
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ilikebigbumpers
Thanks. Read through the thread and diagnosed the problem. Turns out the rivet inside the top frame snapped. Re-riveted and fixed the problem.
​​​​​
Awesome!

Quick Reply: Help With Convertible Top