Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.2 Owners - Thoughts, Likes, Dislikes, Regrets?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2016, 07:55 PM
Norsk
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 88 Posts

After a couple of hundred miles, a few observations:
( Keep in mind I am coming from a 997.1)

The ride is better than my 997, and the tire noise is less, even with Pirellis.

The steering is number, less lively.

The 3.8 engine wasn't happy below 3,000 rpm, the 3.0 isn't happy below 2,000.

Normal mode is pathetic... at 37 mph it is in 7th gear (PDK)...can you say lug?

Exhaust burble in Sport mode is intoxicating (w/ PSE)

The car sits high, for me the front lift option would be a waste of money.

My battery charger seems to work in the passenger footwell socket, but not the cigarette lighter socket.

Google maps only downloads a radius of about a mile from my house, anything further out is a blank grid.

Siri doesn't work, times out saying it can't make a connection. (ATT hotspot is activated).

Porsche voice control was D.O.A.

Porsche car connect won't work in my driveway, apparently needs a stronger cell signal. Definately unusable in a garage.

Loading the Jukebox takes a long time! I put my Itunes library on a thumb drive and it was an hour or so to load.

Once I have more time to play with the electronics I will bring it back to the dealer for some diagnostics, having too much fun driving the damn thing in the meantime
Attached Images  
Old 08-03-2016, 03:03 PM
famous shoes
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 20 Posts

Norsk, that's a beautiful car. I'm finding its difficult to find a bad color for the 911; they all look great!
Old 08-03-2016, 06:29 PM
911Königin
Rennlist Member

Received 548 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by vivekg
For the last 13 years I had an automatic as my daily driver, the 10 years before that I had a manual.
Ditto.......hmmmmmm maybe a PDK
Old 10-20-2016, 12:32 PM
ATLBond
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by tgcrun
Interesting comments on the Bose. I had Bose in my .1 only because I bought the car off the lot, and it happened to come with the system. However, my wife's 997 has the base system, and I really couldn't tell the difference. So, when it came time to order my .2, I opted for the base system to stay within my budget (I thought the Sport Package was more important). I'm very happy I did it.

Glad to know I'm not the only one who loves driving in parking garages with the PSE turned on.
Agree with you on the sound system and Sports Package. No music system can excite me as much as free revving with PSE on
Old 10-20-2016, 12:39 PM
ATLBond
Instructor

Originally Posted by Norsk
After a couple of hundred miles, a few observations:
( Keep in mind I am coming from a 997.1)

The ride is better than my 997, and the tire noise is less, even with Pirellis.

The steering is number, less lively.

The 3.8 engine wasn't happy below 3,000 rpm, the 3.0 isn't happy below 2,000.

Normal mode is pathetic... at 37 mph it is in 7th gear (PDK)...can you say lug?

Exhaust burble in Sport mode is intoxicating (w/ PSE)

The car sits high, for me the front lift option would be a waste of money.

My battery charger seems to work in the passenger footwell socket, but not the cigarette lighter socket.

Google maps only downloads a radius of about a mile from my house, anything further out is a blank grid.

Siri doesn't work, times out saying it can't make a connection. (ATT hotspot is activated).

Porsche voice control was D.O.A.

Porsche car connect won't work in my driveway, apparently needs a stronger cell signal. Definately unusable in a garage.

Loading the Jukebox takes a long time! I put my Itunes library on a thumb drive and it was an hour or so to load.

Once I have more time to play with the electronics I will bring it back to the dealer for some diagnostics, having too much fun driving the damn thing in the meantime
Awesome car, congratulations. I am having PCM challenges since the day I took delivery of my 991.2 C2S back in Mar. You are not alone in that fight. Car is otherwise glorious. Some of the issues you have pointed out are simple to resolve and just a matter of how you use the feature. For example, if you press the stalk lightly Porsche Voice Control is activated. If you hold it a tad longer Siri comes on.
Old 10-20-2016, 11:51 PM
awini
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

My first Porsche, so I don't really mind the turbo engine. I have driven the 350bhp 991.1 which I thought had no low end torque, so opted for the S.
I have standard interior in black with 14 way seats, only gripe is that the door trim in the standard interior is black.
Spent the money on all the chassis options except pdcc, since I read that it made the ride very hard. Maybe I should have gone the whole hog and got that too. Have front lift, which is used a lot on the speed bumps on our roads.
The cars in our market come standard with glass sunroof, pdk and some other bits, and unfortunately I can't delete them and spend the money elsewhere, I would have liked to get lane change assist, but that's not available for our market.
I did tick the box for aluminium exterior window trim because I think it goes well with the Miami Blue colour and standard wheels.
Bose is good enough for me as I don't listen to music very loud and prefer it in the background. Haven't used the jukebox, because I have hundreds of songs on an SD card. Sometimes in standstill traffic I catch up on movies, since DVDs can be played.
Car Play is useless for me since I use an Android device, and would have liked Android integration too.
The car is great but you have to be careful because it fools you into thinking that you are a better driver than you actually are. Opting for the S is worth it, because it gives you bigger brakes and the sub 4 second acceleration bursts are addictive. Rear axle steering is great while parking and squeezing in and out of traffic.
Im fine with the sound of the turbo engine even though I have the sports exhaust. I feel anything louder could get tiresome in a daily driver.
In normal mode, with a light foot ive squeezed out as much as 21mpg on my commute!
I opted for the 14 way seats because that's what the car should come with anyway. The crest embossed on the head rest is useless in black, because you can barely see it.
I opted for the fire extinguisher, just to be on the safe side, since I use the rear seats for kids, in case of anything happening, if nothing else, it would buy you time to get out. Plus our summer temperature goes well over 100F in the shade.
We have very high taxes and duties on luxury goods so at a little over $330,000, this is the most expensive car that I've ever bought, which should last me a long time!

That translates to 21mpg US, 25 UK.

Last edited by awini; 10-21-2016 at 12:11 AM.
Old 10-21-2016, 12:12 AM
ATLBond
Instructor

Originally Posted by pawnstar
I believe mine worked via wireless as well as USB. Don't recall exact steps, but Siri and CarPlay had to be on and one other setting. I have 6S+.
By design Apple Car Play can work only when connected to PCM with a USB cable. Audi apparently has come out with a wireless Car Play system I heard. Don't know if this is true.
Old 10-21-2016, 08:50 AM
budrichard
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have been working through the PCM issues slowly.
Porsche Car Connect works flawlessly for me but that's mostly a function of your location and cellular network.
No problem with NAV maps range.
Rarely use CarPlay as the installed NAV is superior and costs me $10/month from AT&T.
Run Waze without USB CarPlay unless I need to charge iPhone.
Use mostly Porsche voice control but experimenting with Siri.

"By design Apple Car Play can work only when connected to PCM with a USB cable."
True but, your Music and Contacts will work either by CarPlay or BlueTooth without the USB cable but you will need to boost volume for Music using Bluetooth.
Working on Sport Chrono for the Track.
The technology built into this car by Porsche is fantastic!
First car with Tech that I truly like!-Richard
Old 10-21-2016, 09:23 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by pawnstar
Have 600 miles on my base C2 with 7 speed manual. Like it a lot, don't love it, yet, warming up to it though.

I disabled Apple Car Play after trying it out for about an hour. Using car's PCM OS instead, much simpler and no interruptions and gets the job done just the same.

Not loving the frunk. Reluctant to open close it for fear of damaging the fragile lightweight hood, damaging the paint around emblem. So I end up putting groceries and stuff on the passenger seat/floor. items that I use frequently, like my gym bag, sneakers, tennis racquet, I throw in the back seat. 👎🏼

Took the car to Lime Rock a few weekends ago, the hour or so highway drive was a bit tiresome, hard seat, not much space to stretch legs, no place to put a cold 1l water bottle other than hand it to the passenger to hold. 👎🏼

Forced to constantly use AC at highway speeds, lowering one or more windows results in ear damaging wind fluttering and buffeting, same with sunroof. Passenger immediately complained to roll it back up. Not noticeable as much at lower speeds but I love driving with fresh air and hate AC, so it's a major annoyance. 👎🏼👎🏼

Once out on CT's great back roads, the annoyances are instantly forgotten. Amazing chassis, plenty of motor to get in trouble, and outstanding brakes. 👍🏼

Very reasonable fuel economy, averaging 26 mph combined.

Overall, will likely keep the car for a while then trade it for a new Panamera, best of both worlds in one parking spot.
There is an aftermarket drunk kid liner that should be mandatory. You're right to fear denting the fragile trunk lid. My wife slammed it down once and luckily no damage but we had a lesson on taking care of Bertha.
Old 10-21-2016, 01:25 PM
Bradley Scott
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by R_Rated
There is an aftermarket drunk kid liner that should be mandatory. You're right to fear denting the fragile trunk lid. My wife slammed it down once and luckily no damage but we had a lesson on taking care of Bertha.
On the porsche website, there's a video on how to close the trunk without any damage. I agree with everyone above that says this is quite a "wow" statement. You have to be directed how to close a trunk so that you don't damage it because it was manufactured to be light weight?
Old 10-21-2016, 05:20 PM
stephen k
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by stephen k
I have about 250 miles on my 991.2 C2S and this is such a fantastic vehicle. I'm one of those die hard N/A guys now converted to loving this boosted 3.0. The turbo in this car is so much fun I look forward to hearing the burbles, pops, and the immediate spool noise on throttle with the windows down.

Its too early for dislikes or regrets but if I had a little more in my budget I'd probably do the nose lift. I opted SPASM and it isn't super low but the front lip extends the nose where there is less angle clearance on driveways. Hope this makes sense.

Otherwise the car far exceeded my expectations. Still getting used to the NAV and coming from a 2012 Cayenne S w/bose my ears tell me this bose is better..

Stephen
A little update with 1,300 miles on the clock. I actually don't care about having the nose lift now but I wish I opted the 18 way seats. I find myself sliding around in the seat during spirited driving. Other than that absolutely no complaints.

I'm happy I spent the extra money getting full leather, carbon trim, and colored gauges in the vehicle. They are extremely pleasant to look at.

Stephen
Old 10-21-2016, 05:27 PM
ATLBond
Instructor

Originally Posted by stephen k
A little update with 1,300 miles on the clock. I actually don't care about having the nose lift now but I wish I opted the 18 way seats. I find myself sliding around in the seat during spirited driving. Other than that absolutely no complaints.

I'm happy I spent the extra money getting full leather, carbon trim, and colored gauges in the vehicle. They are extremely pleasant to look at.

Stephen
Post some pictures please.
Old 10-21-2016, 05:29 PM
stephen k
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by ATLBond
Post some pictures please.
ATL - Will try to get around to it this weekend. Any extra down time goes to driving out in the 991.2!!

Stephen
Old 10-21-2016, 05:32 PM
ATLBond
Instructor

Originally Posted by budrichard
I have been working through the PCM issues slowly.
Porsche Car Connect works flawlessly for me but that's mostly a function of your location and cellular network.
No problem with NAV maps range.
Rarely use CarPlay as the installed NAV is superior and costs me $10/month from AT&T.
Run Waze without USB CarPlay unless I need to charge iPhone.
Use mostly Porsche voice control but experimenting with Siri.

"By design Apple Car Play can work only when connected to PCM with a USB cable."
True but, your Music and Contacts will work either by CarPlay or BlueTooth without the USB cable but you will need to boost volume for Music using Bluetooth.
Working on Sport Chrono for the Track.
The technology built into this car by Porsche is fantastic!
First car with Tech that I truly like!-Richard
LCW and I are pioneers with PCM issues. Not that we got any resolution from Porsche or have sorted it out ourselves, I just gave up and am waiting for a software update. We found out you the contacts you place in 'myscreen' will vanish as fast as your 991.2 can accelerate . If you made it work, you are a true tech buff, please share it with all.
Old 10-31-2016, 12:28 PM
jackippo
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I have had my 911 Targa 4S since July 2016. I have 2500 miles thus far and love the hell out of it. This is my first 911 but I did drive many 991.1 for months of making my decision to go with 991.2. I really have no regrets except for not choosing the MT. I know I have the heaviest 911 of the pack but for the type of driving I do, it suits me perfectly. I wanted the classic feel of the Targa and I really love the low end torque (previous car was a Macan Turbo....boost boost boost). I did order the front axle lift and use it on a regular basis living in NYC, its a must have.
My 911 991.2 Targa 4S

Last edited by jackippo; 10-31-2016 at 12:44 PM.

Quick Reply: 991.2 Owners - Thoughts, Likes, Dislikes, Regrets?