2016 Range Rover Supercharged

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2016, 03:09 PM
CDH911C2S
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 2016 Range Rover Supercharged

Hi All -

I added a 2016 Range Rover Supercharged to my 911 S---a couple thoughts on the first 30 days of ownership---

The positives:

Great Power and Transmission (the ZF 8 speed is the best IMO)
Size(Backseat is very comfortable--much better than previous generation)
Good gas mileage is @ 19(highway commute ) for a 500 HP SUV
Feels light on its feet--very agile

The negatives:

Interior Quality is lower than previous generations
Stereo (upgraded Meridian ) is only okay---I always enjoyed the previous generation HK System ---this systems requires many adjustments to not sound "muddy"
Suspension does not feel controlled---a little bit of road crazy this is not cured by Sport setting---it floats on mild road changes---I think Porsche has nailed the suspension settings with PASM--comfort and sport settings provide two distinct settings that provide comfort or sport road feel.
Sunroof does not close with the single press of a button--requires 2 distinct presses to close--meaning I leave sunroof in vented position quite often
Stop/Start is horrible---and it is not deactivated by entering Sport mode
Brake Dust is possibly 2-3X worse than any previous vehicle I have owned---Using Armor All Wheelguard is a must--great product--wheels look great for 2 weeks with---without--the rims are coated in brake dust by simply backing out of the garage---lol

Your thoughts?

PS---I drove a laoner Macan GTS while getting my oil changed in my 911 last weekend---wow---great sports car/SUV--a bit to small for my needs but an amazing drive---
Attached Images  

Last edited by CDH911C2S; 10-03-2016 at 03:11 PM. Reason: sp
Old 10-03-2016, 03:23 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Great choice. I picked up a 528 last month... looked at this tank but was annoyed at the gas mileage. Unfortunately, I'm not in an income bracket where I can not care about these things although feel fortunate to be able to buy a 528 while unemployed(used).
Old 10-03-2016, 03:23 PM
Cristophosphorus
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Interesting observations. I've had seat time in most LR/RRs to date, and I can confirm that the interior feels subpar compared to previous iterations. That said, it's still a sexy car.

Have you considered other tires? I wonder if the tires you have are somewhat quishy (softer sidewall), causing the floating feeling at higher speeds. I had this issue with a previous car and replaced tires; ended making a world of a difference.
Old 10-03-2016, 03:24 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Brake dust is partially due to them having to stop a vehicle that weighs only slightly less than a modest house.
Old 10-03-2016, 03:52 PM
GiuseppeM
Three Wheelin'

Received 88 Likes on 56 Posts

For brake dust it could be the pads they installed, on my Lexus there was a TSB and they replaced them for free, downside is that the new ones were slightly less grippy.
I had a Land Rover in the past and even thought I didn't have problems they're known for being unreliable and forced LR to change the entire line names.
What's the reliability on these new Range Rovers?
Old 10-03-2016, 06:44 PM
CDH911C2S
Racer

Originally Posted by Cristophosphorus
Interesting observations. I've had seat time in most LR/RRs to date, and I can confirm that the interior feels subpar compared to previous iterations. That said, it's still a sexy car.

Have you considered other tires? I wonder if the tires you have are somewhat quishy (softer sidewall), causing the floating feeling at higher speeds. I had this issue with a previous car and replaced tires; ended making a world of a difference.
I have the 22 inch wheels with Continental Tires---I am not a fan of Continental tires--would rather have Michelins---I may exchange the 22 rims I have for some factory 22 OEM Autobiography wheels (that need tires, which I would replace with something other than Continentals)

The ride and grip are better than I expected---it is more the "damping" of the suspension and how it reacts after a bump or undulation in the road---it would benefit from more controlled damping IMO---

Thank you for reminding me to evaluate my tire options

Cheers

Last edited by CDH911C2S; 10-03-2016 at 06:44 PM. Reason: sp
Old 10-03-2016, 06:49 PM
CDH911C2S
Racer

Originally Posted by GiuseppeM
For brake dust it could be the pads they installed, on my Lexus there was a TSB and they replaced them for free, downside is that the new ones were slightly less grippy.
I had a Land Rover in the past and even thought I didn't have problems they're known for being unreliable and forced LR to change the entire line names.
What's the reliability on these new Range Rovers?
Thanks for the advice. I will look at other brake pad options---I am very surprised how effective the Armor All Wheel Protectant has been to eliminate brake dust---it takes some time to apply correctly and where I live on the water in SoCal means that car must be garaged an allowed to dry/cure overnight (like 8-10 hours) to be effective--the spray is prone to "clouding" the finish--not permanently IMO---
Old 10-03-2016, 06:54 PM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 84 Posts

We just got a RRS. We live at altitude, so the supercharged V8 is down quite a bit on power for us. We went with the turbodiesel instead. The diesel doesn't lose much power at altitude, and I felt the diesel fit the vehicle better for our intended purpose. We have it as a third vehicle for family type stuff, trips, grocery runs, gravel and off road, and that sort of thing. My wife leases Mini Coopers as her DDs and I have a 911 as mine - on order anyway. We only have one kid and he's about to hit a year old, but we're planning to have two more over the coming years.

We were cross shopping the RRS with an LR4 and a BMW X5 50i. She had liked the LR4s, but we eliminated it because driving along you really feel the weight and size of the car. The RRS diesel is 4727 lbs curb vs. 5655 for the LR4 and 5155 for the BMW. The BMW TTV8 had a lot more power, pretty good interior quality, more sporty ride (for us this was a downside), less attractive styling inside and out (YMMV), and frankly I just assume the BMW is more carefully engineered than the JLR products. It seemed like a clear and sensible choice. However, the Brits make cars with a lot more soul. We both walked away from the test drives thinking we'd get the BMW, but we gave it a few days and we both wanted the RRS.

The optional RRS HUD seems a tiny bit out of focus - not up to the caliber of more mainstream offerings. The Lange Change Assist and parking stuff works well. We haven't put too many miles on it yet, maybe 2000. It already has a tiny ding above one of the wheel arches that makes me wonder if the aluminum skins were too thin. Perhaps we just parked near an idiot though, you never know. Looks like it will be very easy for a good PDR guy when the car gets its first service - it's so small I think I'm the only one who's noticed thus far.

The LR dealer here recommended we use their guys for the rear seat entertainment. Fine enough, but the installer used an ignition wire that resets the TVs whenever the stop-start engages. That's our only real gripe, and it's not JLR's fault at all. Not really an issue at this point as the kid is rear facing and doesn't get TV.

It gets about 22mpg with me driving - better than I ever expected - and 30+ with my wife behind the wheel. With the modest weight, 440 ft-lbs of torque is plenty for passing and the turbodiesel can run up steep canyon grades at 100 mph at 8000 feet altitude. That's all the horsepower we need, and it's rated well enough that I'll be able to tow a race car when the time comes. We're really happy with it.
Old 10-03-2016, 09:08 PM
GiuseppeM
Three Wheelin'

Received 88 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by ace37
We just got a RRS. We live at altitude, so the supercharged V8 is down quite a bit on power for us. We went with the turbodiesel instead. The diesel doesn't lose much power at altitude, and I felt the diesel fit the vehicle better for our intended purpose. We have it as a third vehicle for family type stuff, trips, grocery runs, gravel and off road, and that sort of thing. My wife leases Mini Coopers as her DDs and I have a 911 as mine - on order anyway. We only have one kid and he's about to hit a year old, but we're planning to have two more over the coming years.

We were cross shopping the RRS with an LR4 and a BMW X5 50i. She had liked the LR4s, but we eliminated it because driving along you really feel the weight and size of the car. The RRS diesel is 4727 lbs curb vs. 5655 for the LR4 and 5155 for the BMW. The BMW TTV8 had a lot more power, pretty good interior quality, more sporty ride (for us this was a downside), less attractive styling inside and out (YMMV), and frankly I just assume the BMW is more carefully engineered than the JLR products. It seemed like a clear and sensible choice. However, the Brits make cars with a lot more soul. We both walked away from the test drives thinking we'd get the BMW, but we gave it a few days and we both wanted the RRS.

The optional RRS HUD seems a tiny bit out of focus - not up to the caliber of more mainstream offerings. The Lange Change Assist and parking stuff works well. We haven't put too many miles on it yet, maybe 2000. It already has a tiny ding above one of the wheel arches that makes me wonder if the aluminum skins were too thin. Perhaps we just parked near an idiot though, you never know. Looks like it will be very easy for a good PDR guy when the car gets its first service - it's so small I think I'm the only one who's noticed thus far.

The LR dealer here recommended we use their guys for the rear seat entertainment. Fine enough, but the installer used an ignition wire that resets the TVs whenever the stop-start engages. That's our only real gripe, and it's not JLR's fault at all. Not really an issue at this point as the kid is rear facing and doesn't get TV.

It gets about 22mpg with me driving - better than I ever expected - and 30+ with my wife behind the wheel. With the modest weight, 440 ft-lbs of torque is plenty for passing and the turbodiesel can run up steep canyon grades at 100 mph at 8000 feet altitude. That's all the horsepower we need, and it's rated well enough that I'll be able to tow a race car when the time comes. We're really happy with it.
Your MPG seems a little generous, my Sequoia gets only 10 MPG!
I think your installer wired the entertainment system to the wrong fuse, they should have wired it to the lights/vehicle interiors lights/cigarette lighter or plugs fuse. The system will break with constant on/off.
BTW my Sequoia makes no brake dust but I don't feel the brakes are powerful enough sometimes...
Old 10-03-2016, 09:17 PM
bluehorseshoe
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 179 Posts

Congrats on your Range Rover, makes for a great second vehicle. I recently picked up a 2012 Autobiography, still in love with old body style and how they drive like a tank. On my third one, never a single problem.
These things are so heavy that brake dust is constant.
It's a shame that they are skimping on the new interior. I'm always impressed by the full leather in my AB. In a few years when out of warranty I'll probably swap for a new diesel. Enjoy!

Old 10-03-2016, 09:23 PM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by GiuseppeM
Your MPG seems a little generous, my Sequoia gets only 10 MPG!
I think your installer wired the entertainment system to the wrong fuse, they should have wired it to the lights/vehicle interiors lights/cigarette lighter or plugs fuse. The system will break with constant on/off.
Yes, the fuel economy is really surprising! The tank range is a nice thing. I'm used to a lot more stops on the motorcycle or in the 911. My dad was giving me a hard time on his Harley - told me the only thing I can't pass on that Ducati is a gas station!

I suspected the entertainment issue was something like that. It's much easier to tell the dealer when I know what to say though - thanks!
Old 10-03-2016, 11:08 PM
NOSUB2T
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 37 Posts

My 911 also has a 2016 FFRR supercharged V8 as a stable mate.

Mine is a pretty loaded Loire Blue. We absolutely love it. Very comfortable great ride and fast.

I had the 22" wheels and traded them out for 21". 22's are loud and the ride is awful. They look better but in this case I chose function over form.

I have had no problems so far and we drive it a lot of miles.
Old 10-03-2016, 11:34 PM
Norsk
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 88 Posts

Dude, you could have had a GLS550...
Attached Images  
Old 10-03-2016, 11:39 PM
NOSUB2T
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Norsk
Dude, you could have had a GLS550...
Had one....No offense, but its just an updated station wagon.
Old 10-03-2016, 11:43 PM
dimok
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why not Cayenne?

Quick Reply: 2016 Range Rover Supercharged