Sponsored by:

Cylinder scoring - oil squirter upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2016, 11:51 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,290 Likes on 902 Posts

Originally Posted by krombacher
Can better Pistons fix it, or is it a crank / cylinder / block un fixable geometry issue?

If Pistons can fix it, Does anyone know who makes Pistons that corrects (?) the piston pin offset issue on the 2nd bank (the side with the major scoring issues)?
There's not a single fix for this, since the rod angle is so steep on the 3.6 and 3.8 engines, a piston won;t solve the problem alone.

This is one reason why I have shortened the strokes on my high speed engines, to allow for better geometry. Pistons can help, but the work I have done with piston offsets haven't made it into production parts. Its one of the tricks I'm retaining to keep my edge.
Old 09-22-2016, 12:49 PM
krombacher
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
There's not a single fix for this, since the rod angle is so steep on the 3.6 and 3.8 engines, a piston won;t solve the problem alone. This is one reason why I have shortened the strokes on my high speed engines, to allow for better geometry. Pistons can help, but the work I have done with piston offsets haven't made it into production parts. Its one of the tricks I'm retaining to keep my edge.
Ok, that makes a lot of sense. Presumably the rod-to-cylinder wall angle is abnormally steep compared to typical production motors. I guess Porsche went to far in stroking the m96 engine to a 3.6. Was the 3.6 -> 3.8 a bore change or a stroke change? If a stroke change, that motor must have worse piston scoring issues.
Re: tricks - understood.
Re: LN Engineering- Awesome work, btw.

I'm getting a slight ticking on the passenger side of my engine occasionally when it's hot. Hopefully it's a loose sparkplug. But it might be worse.
Also may be loosing a tiny bit of coolant. I'll keep any eye on it. This was my motivation for my original post, and I don't have anywhere near the funds to get the engine rebuilt. I'm happy to make a winter engine tear down project though. I saw your online 101 class for $400 or so, but wife won't let me spend it (grrr!) she said I've spent enough on this car many times over. I want to stay married.
I do have a boroscope that I can check in the cylinder walls with, but I'm not sure what is acceptable and what is not. I've never seen pics of acceptable wear of stock 3.6 cylinders (2002 c2).

Water pump was replaced over a year go. No foreign debree or evidence of broken blades found. Engine never overheated. (Well did get to 215 coolant temp while in Toronto @ 39 degC., hopefully that didn't hurt it).
Old 09-23-2016, 04:10 PM
krombacher
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Re: piston offset & scoring
I heard the vast majority of cylinder scoring occurs on bank 2. Is that true?
Old 09-23-2016, 10:37 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by krombacher
Re: piston offset & scoring
I heard the vast majority of cylinder scoring occurs on bank 2. Is that true?
Yes, the side where the offset is essential backwards from the factory.

We see scoring all over these engine, Canadian engines often see all 6 cylinders effected at once.
Old 09-24-2016, 02:12 AM
m3driver
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There's not a single fix for this, since the rod angle is so steep on the 3.6 and 3.8 engines, a piston won;t solve the problem alone.

This is one reason why I have shortened the strokes on my high speed engines, to allow for better geometry. Pistons can help, but the work I have done with piston offsets haven't made it into production parts. Its one of the tricks I'm retaining to keep my edge.
FYI, everyone who builds a high revving engine uses short strokes....everyone
Old 09-24-2016, 02:20 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by m3driver
FYI, everyone who builds a high revving engine uses short strokes....everyone
including the one I finished this week for my own car.

Old 09-24-2016, 02:44 AM
996SPECticle
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Flat Twelve Innovations! BBi FTW
Old 09-24-2016, 08:29 AM
craig001
Drifting

Received 72 Likes on 55 Posts

Serious gearhead ****! Love it.
Old 09-28-2016, 05:19 PM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 26 Posts

We see scoring all over these engine, Canadian engines often see all 6 cylinders effected at once.
And we are at the point up here that we don't even worry about IMS issues any longer as the cylinder scrubbing will get you sooner or later or... you park the car in late October and don't fire it up until April or whenever the outside temps are above 50F.

Its getting ridiculous that I know six owners with cly scoring and NONE with engine failures due to IMS. All of these cars are year round drivers.

The only theory I can think of is the people that drive their M96's during the winter months are suffering from some sort of super wear due to frozen surfaces, metal surfaces warm up and expand at different rates, heat shock of sudden combustion against -10 surfaces or just plain poor engineering on the part of Porsche. Its just silly but there is no fix for this - no preventative maintenance that can solve this issue other then make the car a three season car and buy a $5K winter 'beater' and save yourself this issue along with salt baths.

Apparently its not just a Canadian issue as northern US and northern UK M96's have suffered these failures as well.
Old 09-28-2016, 06:42 PM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The LNE nickies will get a solid test from me here in Ottawa where we will see -40 Celsius.

And yeah, I share the same experience, some of the 996/boxtser owners I know have the same ticking I had in my engine. They just add oil and drive though.

Quick Reply: Cylinder scoring - oil squirter upgrades