Sponsored by:

Camber plate install question

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2016, 09:07 PM
Jason F
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Camber plate install question

Do I need a spring compressor to do this? I have Tarrett camber plates to install in my 997.1 Carrera S, and don't have a clear idea if I need a spring compressor to complete the install.

There is no definitive install write up for this product that I can find, just Tarrett's general install PDF which says nothing about how to lower the shock, and a write-up on complete strut removal, which I assume is more than I have to do for this procedure.

Thanks,
Old 09-12-2016, 09:14 PM
motopix
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think whether you do or not is based more on which struts you have. With the wheels unloaded, do the springs turn freely by hand?
Old 09-12-2016, 09:18 PM
Jason F
Instructor

I will know once I jack the car up. The suspension is otherwise stock and will remain so except for camber plates.. for now. I just want to gather all of the tools I need prior to the installation.
Old 09-12-2016, 09:21 PM
motopix
Pro

Gotcha. Not sure on stock suspension. If you don't get an answer, just jack up one side and see how easy it is to turn the springs.
Old 09-12-2016, 09:29 PM
Jason F
Instructor

So if it turns easily then no compressor needed? Makes sense.
Old 09-12-2016, 09:36 PM
motopix
Pro

Well if you put your eye out that's on you. But that's the basic guideline that I've used and I'm still bifocal.

edit: I would guess stock dampers require a compressor.
Old 09-12-2016, 09:55 PM
Tj40
Burning Brakes

Received 203 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason F
There is no definitive install write up for this product that I can find, just Tarrett's general install PDF which says nothing about how to lower the shock, and a write-up on complete strut removal, which I assume is more than I have to do for this procedure.

Thanks,
I would assume that you do as the camber plates will have to assembled as part of the shock. I assume you are hoping that you can slide the shock down enough to disassemble the top of the shock assembly and then reinstall?

The stock springs will still be under some compression when the car is up on jackstands and the other factor is going to be access into free up the top nut and disassemble the top of the assembly.

Make sure your spring compressor is on well and if in doubt get your fingers out!
Old 09-12-2016, 10:31 PM
semicycler
Three Wheelin'

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

You probably do not need a spring compressor. But my experience is with Damptronics, not a stock setup. They had two springs, one an easily compressed by hand helper spring.

One trick you can do if in a pinch is to secure the spring with tie wraps. Use multiple thick ones while the weight of the front end is on the wheels. Then when you jack the car and lift the wheels off the ground the springs will still be compressed and constrained by the tie wraps. Again, thicker heavy duty ones, and use a lot of them, you don't want them to snap.

Finally, the Tarett camber plates are awesome but only work in high camber mode for the 997. There is an interference in normal camber mode that prevent them from fitting. So if you are looking for more negative camber they work great. If you just want the top monoball keeping the camber setup the same, or will adjust camber at the LCA, then look elsewhere. They work in both modes on the 996 though. See here: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...dard-mode.html
Old 09-13-2016, 12:24 AM
Jason F
Instructor

Yes, high camber mode. Thanks for the feedback and responses. I'll go rent some spring compressors.
Old 09-13-2016, 09:58 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,453 Likes on 4,114 Posts

Semi provides excellent advice as usual. As an alternative, you can grind off the interference point of the Tarret plate if you want to use it in regular camber mode.

Go rent spring compressors - I think they're free at either auto zone or advance. You buy them but they refund the money when you return them.

Originally Posted by semicycler
Finally, the Tarett camber plates are awesome but only work in high camber mode for the 997. There is an interference in normal camber mode that prevent them from fitting. So if you are looking for more negative camber they work great. If you just want the top monoball keeping the camber setup the same, or will adjust camber at the LCA, then look elsewhere. They work in both modes on the 996 though. See here: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...dard-mode.html
Old 09-15-2016, 11:30 PM
Jason F
Instructor

How do I deal with the PASM line coming out of the top of the shock? This just got tricky.
Old 09-16-2016, 03:02 PM
semicycler
Three Wheelin'

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

You need a strut nut socket. Schwaben makes them. Or you could grind the side off of a sacrificial regular socket.

Or take the whole strut assembly along with the new camber plates to a local garage to swap the top mounts for you. I had a local shop do it for $20 cash for the pair because I did not have the right tools to hold the tube while loosening the nut.

Old 09-16-2016, 03:35 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,453 Likes on 4,114 Posts

Another option, and what I use, is a socket set designed for use on very long bolts where all the gearing for the ratchet is on the inside ring of the ratchet and the gearing that mates with it on the sockets is on the outer edge of the sockets. With this setup long bolts can pass completely through the socket, as can the PASM wire and top of your strut. While you hold the top of the strut with a wrench, you can work the nut with the socket. If installing Damptronics where the wire exits the bottom, it also lets you hold the top of the strut with an allen wrench or torx (don't recall which) while you work the nut with the socket.

My set is Craftsman but there's a Kobalt version available from Lowes too. It also comes in very handy as a clutch bleeding setup, as shown here.

Old 09-16-2016, 04:16 PM
Devil Boy
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

When I replaced my stock springs with H&R Sport Springs, I had no luck getting spring compressors to work because the ones I had were too big to fit in the wheel well when it was all put together. What worked for me was using small cargo straps that you can ratchet down tight. Sketchy AF but it worked. Clearing the fender with the strut assembly was still a b*tch.

For the PASM wire, I did what semicycler said and grinded a cutout in a sacrificial socket.

Quick Reply: Camber plate install question