Sponsored by:

SUNROOF PROBLEM

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2016, 04:16 PM
territory145
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default SUNROOF PROBLEM

Good afternoon everyone, as I was pulling into the garage yesterday, I stopped and pressed the close sunroof button. As it approached the 2" mark it reversed direction and opened again. I immediately pressed the button again and the same thing happened. The third time it closed properly.
Has anyone else had this problem, and what do I do next.
Thanks for your time.
Old 08-04-2016, 05:38 PM
semicycler
Three Wheelin'

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

Sunroof problems suck. I've been down this entire road before. It starts with the sunroof failing to auto close and retracting back. Then it progresses to the auto closing feature no longer working at all in either direction so you have to hold the open/close button to operate it. Finally it stops working entirely. If you get stuck here with the sunroof open there is an allen wrench under the overhead light console to manually open/close the sunroof. Insert the allen wrench into the sunroof motor's gear head socket and turn. If there are any strange noises stop immediately - track damage is imminent. Don't let it get to this point though.

The fixes are either (1) a simple limit switch reteach procedure, (2) motor replacement (sensors are in the motor), or (3) track replacement in order or pain and cost.

The easiest is the first step by resetting the limits switches via reteaching. Copied from another site:
1. With the ignition switched on, press the "lift" button and move the lifting/sliding roof drive to the "raised" limit position.
2. Press "lift" button again and keep depressed. After around 10 seconds, a complete cycle takes place from the "raised" limit position to the positions "lower - open - close".
3. Teaching of the characteristics has been completed after this process.
Note:
The "raise" button must not be released during the entire process. In the event of a restart, the lifting/sliding roof must always be moved to the raised limit position first.
4. If the lifting/sliding roof drive should move back in Item 1, then the closing force limitation function has responded (lifting/sliding force drive was taught). The "open" button must be re-taught in this case.

Re-Teaching
1. Press the "open" button until the sliding roof stops. Then release the button. Press again until the lifting/sliding roof drive stops again. Then release the button.
2. Press "open" button again and keep depressed. The entire process takes place after approx. 10 seconds: "close - lift - lower - open - close"

If this doesn't work then the motor replacement is the second step. It's not super hard but does require moving the overhead light, and possibly the sun visors and front of the headliner. Don't buy a used motor as there is no way to tell if the limit switches work well or are about to fail. This step is no harder than replacing door window motors.

But if these two don't fix it then it's the sunroof track. This step is a huge pain to replace. The sunroof panel gets removed and the entire headliner comes down to get at everything. The then track is swapped out. Putting it back together is troublesome, so is aligning the sunroof so it doesn't leak. Be extra careful not to operate the switch until things are aligned as you will destroy the new track. Yes you can save money with a DIY here. But maybe let someone who has done it before do it instead. Or do lots of research, including getting a copy of the service manual with all the proper procedures to removing and installing the headliner and sunroof panel.
Old 08-05-2016, 01:59 AM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 348 Likes on 159 Posts

FYI dealer had to replace my entire sunroof rack after the gasket detached and lodged itself inside. All covered under warranty but it was a $2k expense otherwise. So my advice is to troubleshoot carefully first.
Old 08-05-2016, 10:59 AM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by territory145
Good afternoon everyone, as I was pulling into the garage yesterday, I stopped and pressed the close sunroof button. As it approached the 2" mark it reversed direction and opened again. I immediately pressed the button again and the same thing happened. The third time it closed properly.
Has anyone else had this problem, and what do I do next.
Thanks for your time.
Have noticed the same thing lately - doesn't happen all the time, only occasionally so far. Something to look forward to.
Old 08-05-2016, 01:13 PM
territory145
Racer

Thanks everyone, Semicycler, a special thanks to you.
Old 08-05-2016, 04:50 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 146 Likes on 115 Posts

Is the track clean and lubed?
That is part of my cleaning routine.
Old 08-05-2016, 07:14 PM
territory145
Racer

I'll be cleaning tomorrow and will check to make sure alls clean, thanks
Old 08-06-2016, 01:45 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,593 Likes on 4,191 Posts

I believe the sunroof has an automatic feature to optimize it's open position based on ambient noise. If you're closing it while pulling into the garage, it may be "hearing" more noise and trying to reopen to a quieter position, but you think it just failed to floss. See if it works fine when you do it whilegoing slow before entering the garage and then see if you can reproduce the bounce-back situation by doing it while entering the garage.
Old 08-06-2016, 02:07 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,593 Likes on 4,191 Posts

Looks like I remembered the pages from the manual not quite correctly and the ambient noise thing only kicks in on opening, not on closing it.

Old 08-06-2016, 02:37 AM
captainbaker
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BIG smoke
Is the track clean and lubed?
That is part of my cleaning routine.
This is the first thing I would do. Clean and lube everything. We bought a 1999 MB for our kid and it had a broken sunroof. The seller was a business acquaintance. During our PPI at an indy, I grabbed a can of WD40 an wnet to town. Ten minutes later it was working as designed. Seller just laughed as the MB dealer quoted him $2800 to fix.

Im almost sure there is some sort of resistance thingy in the 997. If it senses too much resistance it reverses the motor to protect the motor and cables.

A year ago, I sent my Gulfstream into maintenance because the pilots seat would not lock in a certain position. The bill was $500 to remove Skittles from the seat tracks. I lol'd.
Old 08-06-2016, 12:28 PM
territory145
Racer

I'll be cleaning the track today and I'll let everyone know if it still is a problem. Your responses have been awesome. Thanks all.
Old 09-16-2021, 09:08 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

I have found the reset instructions do nothing in my 997.2. I found another post somewhere that worked for my car:

1 - close the sliding roof
2 - hold the forward/close button (referred to as Rocker Switch B in the manual) for several seconds / don't release it
3 - the sliding roof will go through an opening / closing / sliding sequence that ends with it closed.
Old 10-05-2021, 03:48 AM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

I have solved this problem by replacing the sunroof motor.

Quick Reply: SUNROOF PROBLEM