Cargraphic Headers. Whose got em?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2016, 09:22 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 600 Likes on 268 Posts

The last system I sent to Swain had to be re-assembled at the collector so I think that the protocol should be to break them down and have them coated individually and then put back together.
Old 07-20-2016, 09:24 PM
johnsopa
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 206 Likes on 148 Posts

OK, sounds good. I was a little bit concerned that the coating might make it too hard to slide the collector back on but I'm sure the coating is relatively thin.

How do you actually get the collector away from the rest of the header? I can't do it simply by pulling. Rubber mallet?
Old 07-20-2016, 09:42 PM
Voyager6
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Picked my race headers up from FedEx this evening. Arrived in good shape.

V6
Old 07-21-2016, 08:59 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,987 Likes on 2,272 Posts

Mine were shipped to BBI so I'll go down there on Monday. John, can you PM me my tracking number? Thanks.
Old 07-25-2016, 06:25 PM
Dave C4S Cab
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

GPS in Boston did the install for me, great service and no issues reported with the install. The car sounds throatier, during the congested ride home and shorts burst I was able to pull up to about 6k so far and it sounds fantastic. Can't wait till the weekend for more seat time.

Old 07-25-2016, 08:59 PM
inactiveuser726
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How big of a difference in sound is there between the sport and the race headers? Has anyone who purchased the sport headers feel as though they should have purchased the race ones instead and regrets doing so?
Old 07-26-2016, 12:31 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Is there anyone on the group buy that has not received their manifolds at this point?

Originally Posted by Dave C4S Cab
GPS in Boston did the install for me, great service and no issues reported with the install. The car sounds throatier, during the congested ride home and shorts burst I was able to pull up to about 6k so far and it sounds fantastic. Can't wait till the weekend for more seat time.
I have known the owner of GPS as long as i have been racing and i would recommend his shop to anyone in the Boston area looking for a Porsche friendly service center. Marc is one of the sharpest guys i know in this industry.

Last edited by BGB Motorsports; 07-26-2016 at 03:52 PM.
Old 07-26-2016, 10:02 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,987 Likes on 2,272 Posts

Originally Posted by BGB Motorsports
Is there anyone on the group buy that has not received their manifolds at this point?

I have known the owner of GPS as long as i have been racing and i would recommend his shop to anyone in the Boston area looking for a Porsche friendly service center. Marc is one of the sharpest guys i know in this industry.
I haven't gotten my race headers yet. They should have been shipped to BBI. Check your PM.
Old 07-27-2016, 09:06 PM
johnsopa
Addict
Rennlist Member

So, I am installing my race headers tonight and I just realized there is a single O2 sensor port. I was not expecting to have any O2 sensor port.

Should I put the pre-cat or post-cat sensor into that one? I'm guessing the pre-cat green O2 sensor.

Also, what do we do with the unused connector on the firewall? Simply tape it up?

Dang it, the Cargraphics header also doesn't have a stud like on the OEM manifold, so I have to go get four bolts.

Last edited by johnsopa; 07-27-2016 at 09:33 PM.
Old 07-27-2016, 09:59 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 623 Likes on 381 Posts

If anybody wanted to join this Group Buy but missed out, please PM me to take my same pricing spot from another Cargraphics headers Group Buy (headers have landed in the US and are ready to ship)!
Old 07-28-2016, 07:18 AM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by johnsopa
So, I am installing my race headers tonight and I just realized there is a single O2 sensor port. I was not expecting to have any O2 sensor port. Should I put the pre-cat or post-cat sensor into that one? I'm guessing the pre-cat green O2 sensor. Also, what do we do with the unused connector on the firewall? Simply tape it up? Dang it, the Cargraphics header also doesn't have a stud like on the OEM manifold, so I have to go get four bolts.
The pre-cat sensor goes in the O2 bung on the race manifold; ON A RACE CAR NOT ON THE STREET the post cat sensor should be removed so that it triggers the correct CEL that your aftermarket ECU file is expecting. The grey ones are the post-cat ones shown below with the flatter shaped connector. You can tape up the unused one if you're worried about dirt or road grime getting in there. I can ask the guys at the shop about hardware and even put something in a bag and ship it to you if you don't have a good source for it.

Last edited by BGB Motorsports; 10-11-2016 at 01:08 PM.
Old 07-28-2016, 08:55 AM
Jenner
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by johnsopa
Dang it, the Cargraphics header also doesn't have a stud like on the OEM manifold, so I have to go get four bolts.
I was told I could reuse the bolts/nuts that attach the bracket holding the OEM header to the cylinder head (which you wont use again) for this purpose (disclaimer I haven't received mine back from SwainTech yet so haven't tried this yet but it makes sense).

Last edited by Jenner; 07-28-2016 at 09:14 AM.
Old 07-28-2016, 09:09 AM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Jenner
I was told I could reuse the bolts/nuts that attach the bracket holding the OEM header to the cylinder head (which you wont use again) for this purpose (disclaimer I haven't received mine back from SwainTech yet so haven't tried this yet but it makes sense).
If someone here told you that I apologize. If you are planning on doing this on your own please call the shop and ask for Wray or myself and we will put some hardware in a bag and send it to you. Most shops have this hardware but I understand some of you are doing it yourself and life will be easier if we just send you what you need. My apologies. For anyone that has access to hardware, we recommend using a 30mm M8 * 1.25 bolt with 2 washers and a locking nut (shown below).

Last edited by BGB Motorsports; 07-28-2016 at 10:44 AM.
Old 07-28-2016, 11:39 PM
johnsopa
Addict
Rennlist Member

Finished installing the race headers connected to my stock PSE. Perfect match.

More here...

I connected the post cat O2 sensors and zip tied them up in the engine bay. At least for my 10 mins spin, no CEL yet. I have an FVD tune that I'll install at some point that'll take care of the CEL if it does show up.

Now I should be able to hear the engine with a helmet on.

One issue is that the mounting holes on the passenger side were not quite lined up perfectly. I had to slightly drill out a couple of them to get everything to fit without cross threading. Second issue is that two of the screws on each header are almost impossible to get tightened due to clearance. I had to use a little 1/4" 10mm socket to get access to them.

Can't wait to track with the new headers this weekend.
Old 07-29-2016, 02:31 AM
Peter_GT4
Advanced

Received 73 Likes on 17 Posts

I don´t really want to know how race headers might sound..the sports headers
are already amazing. Still quiet in cruising mode, simply music when kept beetween
3 and 5K, and pure racing wide open. Can´t really express how happy I am about
THAT SOUND.

Fitment was a no-brainer in my case, all holes perfectly lined up and a 10mm T-Socket
was the solution for the hiddden bolts.

All in all, by far best mod for the GT4, period!

Peter

Quick Reply: Cargraphic Headers. Whose got em?