Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help getting excited about my Spyder!

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2016, 02:40 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 917 Posts

I'm not even going to comment on break-in regimen, it's like talking about abortion and religion, it is not gonna get anyone anywhere, facts don't matter, opinions and feelings do.

BUT, if you actually go DRIVE that car, take the roof down, and put it into a series of curves, (if you don't live by mountains use an on-Ramp or the track) feel the balance on the throttle, and then power out of a turn.. You'll understand what's amazing about it. If you still don't like it, your wood is wet.. Sell it.

This machine is such a fantastic synergy of traits that j may never get rid of it, I'm madly in love with it.
Attached Images  
Old 07-27-2016, 11:53 AM
Mister_Yogi
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Potsnu
Ah yes, breaking in a new engine is going to garner poloarizing opinions similiar to the fabled early first oil change.

Here is what I've always done, so ultimately the choice is yours.

First off, ask yourself if you are going to keep your car long enough for tangible benefits to be measured if you broke in the car by the manual or if you drove it hard from Day 1?

I like to gradually break in my car. It might look something like this:

0 to 200 miles: 4500 rpm
200 to 400 miles: 5000 rpm
400 to 600 miles: 5500 rpm

Every drive, I will take the car to the self imposed RPM limit on a WOT pull. By the time I hit the break in recommended miles, I would have brought the car close to the redline. I prefer this method of gradually breaking in the car.

You also have others on the complete polar opposite who beat the crap out of the car after they got it. Some people take it to the track, some people do it on the Europen Delivery. Again, I don't think most people will keep the cars long enough to see any discernible difference in the longetivity of the vehicle.

Your exhaust will sound better as you put more miles on the car. I will say at around 3500 to 4000 miles, your exhaust will sound even better. My only gripe with the 981 is the long gears. The car sounds amazing at higher RPMs, but quite honestly I am breaking every single speed limit in the country by the time I top out 2nd gear......If it was only a matter of a speeding ticket, I would take the risk. But over here, your car gets towed and impounded for 7 days. Fines up to $10,000. Makes it hard to enjoy the amazing engine notes at higher RPMs with such long gears...
$10,000 fine??? Which country are you referring to? If US, what part of the country? Asking so I can avoid your neck of the woods!
Old 07-27-2016, 12:09 PM
JAM2
Rennlist Member

Received 425 Likes on 205 Posts

Hang in there. It gets better and better. By then end of our Euro Delivery trip, we were able to really push the car on some of the roads in France, and WOW!!! Returning to Monaco from the Col de Turini, was by far the most aggressive part of the drive, and my buddies commented on how quick the Spyder was ripping around some of the corners.

This was our arsenal for that drive...

Old 07-27-2016, 04:01 PM
Potsnu
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mister_Yogi
$10,000 fine??? Which country are you referring to? If US, what part of the country? Asking so I can avoid your neck of the woods!
Ontario, Canada

6 Demerit Points.
$2,000.00 – $10,000.00 fine
A possible suspension of your driver’s licence for a period of no more than 2 years
A possible term of imprisonment for up to 6 months
Car is immediately towed and impounded for 7 days

So add the cost of tow truck, storage fee, and a lawyer to fight this.

I can safely redline 2nd gear and then call it a day.....in my old car I can row through the first 4 gears before I even get into speed limits that will get me in trouble.
Old 07-27-2016, 06:05 PM
Mister_Yogi
Instructor

Ontario, Canada

6 Demerit Points.
A possible suspension of your driver’s licence for a period of no more than 2 years

I can safely redline 2nd gear and then call it a day.....in my old car I can row through the first 4 gears before I even get into speed limits that will get me in trouble.
What the deuce? That's for any speeding ticket or being caught higher than a certain speed above the limit?

For example in the US, you can get a speeding ticket for a range of speeds over the speed limit, but it changes to reckless driving above a given speed.
Old 07-27-2016, 07:23 PM
Jamie140
Nordschleife Master

Received 804 Likes on 369 Posts

Ontario, Canada

6 Demerit Points.

What the deuce? That's for any speeding ticket or being caught higher than a certain speed above the limit?

For example in the US, you can get a speeding ticket for a range of speeds over the speed limit, but it changes to reckless driving above a given speed.
50 km. over. Fvking lesbian communist running our province into the ground.

I'm taking my tax payments away as soon as I can.
Old 07-28-2016, 03:49 AM
trebien
Racer

Originally Posted by CAlexio
This machine is such a fantastic synergy of traits that I may never get rid of it, I'm madly in love with it.

I can understand your enthusiasm and love the view from the passenger seat, but just wait until you actually get to hop into the driver's seat and drive it!
Old 07-28-2016, 08:42 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Originally Posted by trebien
I can understand your enthusiasm and love the view from the passenger seat, but just wait until you actually get to hop into the driver's seat and drive it!
?? I'm confused LOL.. Are you referring to my buddy in passenger seat? He doesn't drive manual so I'll ring him up occasionally cause he loves going for drives, not a car guy but appreciates the experience.
Old 07-28-2016, 09:14 AM
digitalrurouni
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

To the OP you really gotta let the car rev freely to appreciate what it can do. I don't think the sound is 'guttural' it's more of a wail. Some people like that some people don't. Plain and simple. I for one think it sounds marvelous.
Old 07-28-2016, 02:36 PM
tmc
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by the_rider
To me, this is the most depressing thing!! It just kills me! The car, as a package, is just incredible. Such a fun experience, every single time. However, goddamn gearing ruins the party! Porsche totally screwed us all! :-( It really pisses me off!
On the track, in the twisties, not needing to shift to get around a turn is nice. IMHO, the long gearing is an advantage not a disadvantage.
Old 07-28-2016, 03:17 PM
Potsnu
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tmc
On the track, in the twisties, not needing to shift to get around a turn is nice. IMHO, the long gearing is an advantage not a disadvantage.
To some people, the lack of shifting makes the car less fun.

You have an engine that is begging to be rev at very high RPMs. But the gears are too long. That makes zero sense.

A high revving car should have shorter gears, so you can hear the intoxicating loud noise without approaching speed limits that would get you in trouble.

The fact that the Spyder has auto rev match makes not needing to shift through a turn a rather moot point, as everyone can heel and toe like a pro.
Old 07-28-2016, 07:03 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,873 Likes on 1,903 Posts

There is absolutely zero need on the street to wind the car out to redline all the time. In the mountains you can accelerate hard, shift at 5,500, have plenty of fun strafing turns at very high speeds, get tons of shifting in and have a great time. I'll never understand why people are so concerned about how fast a car goes at redline in 2nd or 3rd gear. If you had a car with shorter gearing, would you honestly be bouncing it off the rev limiter all day on the street?
Old 07-28-2016, 07:31 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

you know, the gearing actually works well. 2nd gear works for hard twisties driving, with 3rd for when road straightens out. pity 4-5-6 are so stacked, it really should be inverted, but overall, the car is a pleasure to drive and I get to shift enough.
Old 07-28-2016, 09:15 PM
DiabloBlanco
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

(I thought I had already responded but it doesn't look like I posted my prior remark)

Thanks for the responses everybody! This forum is pretty awesome.

I'm certainly smiling now since this feels like a bit of an intervention. I can certainly feel the obsession in the forum and I like it.

I've got a lot of choices here in SoCal. Trying to organize a cool drive with my buddy (GT4) in Malibu Canyon or the Ortega Highway.

I'll say one thing, every time I'm at the gas station, people are hovering around my car in admiration. I haven't seen another Spyder in the area yet.
Old 07-28-2016, 09:46 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Originally Posted by DiabloBlanco
(I thought I had already responded but it doesn't look like I posted my prior remark)

Thanks for the responses everybody! This forum is pretty awesome.

I'm certainly smiling now since this feels like a bit of an intervention. I can certainly feel the obsession in the forum and I like it.

I've got a lot of choices here in SoCal. Trying to organize a cool drive with my buddy (GT4) in Malibu Canyon or the Ortega Highway.

I'll say one thing, every time I'm at the gas station, people are hovering around my car in admiration. I haven't seen another Spyder in the area yet.
I didn't realize you're in SoCal. I'm going to be organizing a drive in the coming weeks with a bunch of their Spyder owners both old and new and I'll send you a pm. I have a great route which starts in Temecula and ends near route 76 and I15. I would recommend carving out at least 6 hours if your coming from LA or OC.

Quick Reply: Help getting excited about my Spyder!