Sponsored by: APR

Thunderhill Newbie + Tire Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2016, 12:36 PM
bemmett
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Thunderhill Newbie + Tire Question

Some quick background: I've participated in HPDE events over the years in other people's/company's cars, so never had to worry much about tire wear and normal track maintenance. Now that I've got my GT4, I obviously have to start caring about this stuff so have been reading all these threads ravenously for info.

I was at Laguna Seca with PCA GGR for the first time a few Sundays ago and got my "ok to solo" from my instructor after the first two morning sessions, and now I plan on getting being at Thunderhill in July.

The sun came out after my first session at Laguna, and after the second session my tire pressures spiked. Here's what all 4 tires generally looked like after the second session.

Looks like graining to me, but folks here might know better. They're Dunlops and they generally still look like this after the afternoon sessions with lower tire pressures. After lowering pressures and sitting overnight, all 4 tires had an equal decrease in pressure, so I'm taking this as evidence that I was over-inflated after my second session, and not actually over-driving the tires.

Question: Tread depth on these is still decent, but since I plan on going to THill for a full weekend would it make more sense to just drive these tires and get some final sessions out of them before they give up the ghost, or do you think this is a safety/traction issue that really warrants getting new tires now?

I appreciate all the expertise here, so thanks in advance for helping out a beginner.
Old 06-24-2016, 12:41 PM
katmeho
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Theres a ton of life left there. Run them and watch your pressures after each session.
Old 06-24-2016, 12:57 PM
Jenner
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bemmett
Looks like graining to me, but folks here might know better. They're Dunlops and they generally still look like this after the afternoon sessions with lower tire pressures. After lowering pressures and sitting overnight, all 4 tires had an equal decrease in pressure, so I'm taking this as evidence that I was over-inflated after my second session, and not actually over-driving the tires.

Question: Tread depth on these is still decent, but since I plan on going to THill for a full weekend would it make more sense to just drive these tires and get some final sessions out of them before they give up the ghost, or do you think this is a safety/traction issue that really warrants getting new tires now
This is what a too much pressure and much more tire wear on the Dunlop will look like:

Your tires look nearly new. If anything you are driving too slow and picking up other peoples rubber on the track.

I don't see any signs of over inflation nor over driving based on this picture. Zero safety issue and plenty of life left. You aren't anywhere near "final sessions" and "giving up the ghost"

What hot pressure are you running the Dunlops? I found low 30s to be best before I switched to the RE-71Rs.
Old 06-24-2016, 01:13 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

bemmett, that picture you are show is not graining, but rubber that you are picking up from the track. Nothing to worry about. I remember having the same issue years ago when I first started as well. Once they start to disappear, you'll know you are getting faster.

btw, the tires look great. keep running them and don't change anything
Old 06-24-2016, 01:17 PM
bemmett
Instructor

Originally Posted by katmeho
Theres a ton of life left there. Run them and watch your pressures after each session.
Thanks!

Originally Posted by Jenner
This is what a too much pressure and much more tire wear on the Dunlop will look like:

Your tires look nearly new. If anything you are driving too slow and picking up other peoples rubber on the track.

I don't see any signs of over inflation nor over driving based on this picture. Zero safety issue and plenty of life left. You aren't anywhere near "final sessions" and "giving up the ghost"

What hot pressure are you running the Dunlops? I found low 30s to be best before I switched to the RE-71Rs.
Rears hit 38# after the second session, I dropped them down to 32# after that.

If was my first track session ever in my own car, so entirely probable I was initially slower than I needed to be in the morning while I was getting a feel for the handling. There was definitely a ton of rubber all over the place that Sunday...

Appreciate the feedback!
Old 06-24-2016, 01:31 PM
bk_911
Rennlist Member

Received 241 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
bemmett, that picture you are show is not graining, but rubber that you are picking up from the track. Nothing to worry about. I remember having the same issue years ago when I first started as well. Once they start to disappear, you'll know you are getting faster.

Yeah you will have lots of detailing work once that crap starts to fly off the tires :-)

I've got 3 track days of spots from that rubber crap on my car. Still have some spots left to scrub.

THill gets hot and you get some quick speeds. I can hear those tire pieces hitting the side of the car and undercarriage when on track.
Old 06-24-2016, 02:37 PM
bemmett
Instructor

Originally Posted by bk_911
Yeah you will have lots of detailing work once that crap starts to fly off the tires :-)

I've got 3 track days of spots from that rubber crap on my car. Still have some spots left to scrub.

THill gets hot and you get some quick speeds. I can hear those tire pieces hitting the side of the car and undercarriage when on track.

I'm seeing a pattern emerge. Drive faster!

Thanks! Really appreciate how helpful this forum is for newbies and experts alike.
Old 06-24-2016, 03:24 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,704 Likes on 2,342 Posts

tire is fine.
see u at TH in july with GGR
chk pressure hot right after u come off track.
i do not know the psi for dunlop. someone here would know. and target for that pressure
how much the psi increases depends on how you drive. i see 12psi increase for me usually (1st sessions)
Old 06-24-2016, 03:28 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,365 Likes on 831 Posts

Once they start to disappear, you'll know you are getting faster.
I must be slow. No matter how fast I go I always have some of those on my tires. Maybe I need to drive faster cool down laps.
Old 06-24-2016, 03:31 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

^ i am surpirsed you have those on your tires. i am not fast like joe, but those rubber debris are non existent on my tires. i used mpsc2 or RE71R
Old 06-24-2016, 03:31 PM
doborder
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used to questions this all the time and when this first happened, the drive home would suck because of all the vibration...

Originally Posted by bk_911

Mother R3 works great for removing tire marks

Originally Posted by mooty
tire is fine.
see u at TH in july with GGR
chk pressure hot right after u come off track.
i do not know the psi for dunlop. someone here would know. and target for that pressure
how much the psi increases depends on how you drive. i see 12psi increase for me usually (1st sessions)
+1 Always check your pressure after first session
Old 06-24-2016, 03:33 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by ExMB
I must be slow. No matter how fast I go I always have some of those on my tires. Maybe I need to drive faster cool down laps.
Admittedly, my cool down lap is primarily for the brakes. I still go hard through the corners to practice my line and entry. I just approach the braking zone at a speed where I don't need brakes

^ i am surpirsed you have those on your tires. i am not fast like joe, but those rubber debris are non existent on my tires. i used mpsc2 or RE71R
They are nonexistent on your tires because you are fast.
Old 06-24-2016, 03:39 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,365 Likes on 831 Posts

MSPC2s. Found one. Rears are worse but too lazy for pic.

Old 06-24-2016, 03:49 PM
doborder
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very few people can out run Joe I'm still working on my video from Mooty day... Definitely a good car but I'm not in my hands...
Old 06-24-2016, 04:07 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by doborder

Mother R3 works great for removing tire marks
that thing i swear is toxic, so after using it, rinse with little water than put liquid spray wax on.

Admittedly, my cool down lap is primarily for the brakes. I still go hard through the corners to practice my line and entry. I just approach the braking zone at a speed where I don't need brakes
i see, no wonder i blow by you on last lap.
i dont ever cool down.
my rotors are always smoking when parked.
now i know why they wear out so fast.

They are nonexistent on your tires because you are fast.
lmao, before i jumped the fence b/n T8 and 9 (u wont know there's a fence there, until you jumped it) i was actually fast... now my immortal days are in the paswt

Originally Posted by ExMB
MSPC2s. Found one. Rears are worse but too lazy for pic.

those are good wear patterns actually and you are fast.
the wear pattern is not the same as OP's
i also think OP's were quite over inflated to get that pattern.

Quick Reply: Thunderhill Newbie + Tire Question