Sponsored by:

Help with throttle cable

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2016, 10:34 PM
Slakker
Race Car

Received 270 Likes on 124 Posts
Default Help with throttle cable

I have a '99 C2 Coupe 6MT that is idling at 4K RPM due to the throttle cable being tight and holding the throttle body open 7mm off of the resting post. I have done two separate things that may have caused this.

The accelerator pedal came off of the little ball in the socket during AutoX. I popped the ball back in the pedal then drove it home without issue.

The other one is I just got done replacing the AOS by lowering the engine,removing the plenums, and driver intake manifold. I'm guessing I have done something here during this process but have not been able to figure out what. Any help or ideas are appreciated.
Old 06-21-2016, 10:39 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

I rememeber there's a (wrong) way to route the throttle cable that will make it a bit shorter hence cracking open the throttle plate slightly at rest. Did you by chance removed amd remounted the cable on the engine side.
Old 06-21-2016, 10:43 PM
Slakker
Race Car

Not intentionally but it could have gotten rerouted with the plenums off....
Old 06-21-2016, 11:09 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

I saw a thread just like that and the resolution was to correct the cable routing. Will search later to see if I can find it for you. It may be on renntech.
Old 06-21-2016, 11:16 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Here you go. 1st hit when google search "996 cable too short" haha

http://www.renntech.org/forums/topic/44806-diagram-or-info-on-routing-the-throttle-cable/
Old 06-21-2016, 11:26 PM
Slakker
Race Car

Hmmm.... I think it is somewhere in the sleeve Loren diagramed. When I disconnected it from the TB, giving it plenty of slack, the cable end was still 9mm shorter than on my other car. Thanks for the link, my search attempts were not near as fruitful (wording is everything.)
Old 06-22-2016, 12:03 AM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 339 Likes on 245 Posts

You can disconnect the rear part of the cable from the front at the junction box located under the car. Near the shifter linkage of the transmission. Disconnect it and see if the cable is moving freely in both sections. Then if not, go from there.
Old 06-22-2016, 12:34 AM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

You read the last post in that thread that describes how to route the cable, right?

Originally Posted by Slakker
Hmmm.... I think it is somewhere in the sleeve Loren diagramed. When I disconnected it from the TB, giving it plenty of slack, the cable end was still 9mm shorter than on my other car. Thanks for the link, my search attempts were not near as fruitful (wording is everything.)
Old 06-22-2016, 12:56 AM
Slakker
Race Car

Yes. I think you nailed it. I have no idea how it would have gotten rerouted but I'm going to pull it out and rerun it tomorrow. There was some damage to the cable at the sleeve that I was able to gorilla tape temporarily and get the slack back in the cable. But sure enough when I push it back in the TB it shortens up again. I think whatever is putting the tension on it damaged the upper half of the cable.

But at least I get to learn another part of the car.

When disconnected at the sleeve, both ends slide freely.
Old 06-22-2016, 08:42 AM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,182 Likes on 756 Posts

Hmmm...check this - same problem, the throttle cable had some tension on it after I had removed the TB for some work. Engine idle was high and I could see that the cable was not allowing the TB plate to rest on the post...something like you said. Close inspection revealed that I had not properly seated the cable holder on the TB, the little plastic part that the cable slides through. I undid the cable from the TB and gave it a good tug. That seated the cable into the plastic guide piece and seated (more like it snapped it in) the plastic guide on the TB. That solved the problem. Hard to describe, it was such a subtle thing but that's what the problem was.
Old 06-22-2016, 11:50 AM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Slakker
There was some damage to the cable at the sleeve that I was able to gorilla tape temporarily and get the slack back in the cable.
Umm, that sounds a bit dangerous?
Old 06-22-2016, 12:31 PM
Slakker
Race Car

Originally Posted by Ahsai
Umm, that sounds a bit dangerous?
Haha! Definitely. For testing purposes only. Replacement cable is being overnighted to the dealership. I have until 3 to figure out if I need to replace the pedal assembly to get it going for Friday (track day). Pedal feels loose and will get replaced regardless, but don't want to pay overnight charges if I don't have to.

Got the silver 996 up on jack stands and getting ready to compare routing and cables. Hope to know more soon.
Old 06-22-2016, 12:48 PM
Slakker
Race Car

Ya, it definitely ended up on the wrong side of the tracks. It needs to be about 4 inches to the left of the brace instead of to the right of it. I have no idea how it got there because I can't find a gap to get it over to the other side.

Old 06-22-2016, 01:27 PM
Slakker
Race Car

Mystery solved. Routing issue boogered up one end of the throttle cable. That's why it was still too short even when taken out of the TB with the tension relieved. It's an easy and relatively inexpensive replacement. Thanks for all of the help guys!

Quick Reply: Help with throttle cable