Sponsored by:

Physically unable to heel Toe?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2016, 03:22 PM
HoBoJoe
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jlanka
Wait, doesn't the manual in all 991's have rev-matching?
This? If not the sport button adds it and can be retrofitted.
Old 06-19-2016, 11:37 AM
tasracer
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Practice with car off

Bring your right knee all the way over to your left knee
Old 06-19-2016, 11:38 AM
tasracer
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't cowboy stance with right knee by the center console
Old 06-19-2016, 12:07 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

If you're just starting forget H&T, or even forget shifting for that matter -- just keep it in 3rd or 4th the whole lap and focus on the line and on the forces your body experiences as you're braking, accelerating and going through the turns.
Old 06-19-2016, 12:35 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 369 Likes on 198 Posts

I find the brake pedal too high to H/T on the street under normal conditions. On the track you'll be much further into the brake pedal and everything lines up perfectly.
Old 06-19-2016, 02:42 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,886 Likes on 1,773 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
If you're just starting forget H&T, or even forget shifting for that matter -- just keep it in 3rd or 4th the whole lap and focus on the line and on the forces your body experiences as you're braking, accelerating and going through the turns.
This is good advice when starting out. Keep shifting simple so you can concentrate on your line.
Old 06-19-2016, 04:11 PM
Paseb
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 53 Posts

I had a tough time doing heel and toe in my race cayman until i took out the front storage bin etc

Still have issues from time to time in certain corners but i think its human hehe
Old 06-19-2016, 07:13 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by bgiere
I can't heel and toe and have raced for years...Broken ankle years ago prevents me from twisting my heel...I make do.
Same here. Old 911's give a lot of pedal adjustment. I had a rennline gas pedal and that helped my situation.
Old 06-20-2016, 09:56 AM
mhm993
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 148 Posts

I think the op is trying this on the street? I find it's not possible to heal toe unless the brake pedal is depressed to the fire wall, as we do at the track. So unless he's threshold braking on the street, it's pretty tough to almost impossible to H/T.

Also, I find street shoes or sneakers make it pretty impossible to H/T easily.

And, honestly, heal toe is an overrated skill given modern transmissions. (No need to flame me--just my opinion).
Old 06-20-2016, 12:07 PM
Dr911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MUSSBERGER
Same here. Old 911's give a lot of pedal adjustment. I had a rennline gas pedal and that helped my situation.
My HT pedal has a lateral extended TAB on the LEFT edge. Because of this, I was able to practice HT on the street as it doesn't require threshold braking. Really helped me solidify my HT skills

Last edited by Dr911; 06-20-2016 at 01:24 PM.
Old 06-20-2016, 12:08 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr911
My HT pedal has a lateral extended TAB on the LEFT edge.
Because of this, I was able to practice HT on the street as it doesn't require threshold braking. Really helped me solidify my HT skills

Lovin the shoe!
Old 06-20-2016, 03:59 PM
NYC993
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by HoBoJoe
This? If not the sport button adds it and can be retrofitted.
Yea gts has cheater mode in "sport + " mode so no heel-toe is required.

edit: and yes hill toe on the street is hard. You need to be on the brake pretty hard so your brake pedal is more level with the gas pedal for a prolonged period of time.
Old 08-16-2016, 07:51 PM
kcheves
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug007
Forget the words "heel-toe" and watch Senna's loafers

Ayrton Senna's Heel-and-toe - YouTube

He is using the left side of his foot on the brake and the right side of his foot on the gas. In my experience a majority of drivers do it this way, including Senna!

Thanks for posting that, you beat me to it. I use the same method, mashing the gas with the side of my right foot. Not sure if it makes a difference to my clutch/tranny, but it makes me feel like more of a driver and I like the blip.
Old 08-16-2016, 08:04 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 369 Likes on 198 Posts

It's pretty tough to get a smooth H/T downshift unless you are super hard on the brake. If you ever take your car on the track then you'll see that the pedals are aligned properly. On the street, the required effort just sin't demanded from the brake pedal enough to make it smooth. On the street, I usually do a combination of brake hard, ease up, rev match shift, then finish braking.
Old 08-17-2016, 03:09 AM
jayzbird
Burning Brakes

Received 254 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by mhm993
I think the op is trying this on the street? I find it's not possible to heal toe unless the brake pedal is depressed to the fire wall, as we do at the track. So unless he's threshold braking on the street, it's pretty tough to almost impossible to H/T.

Also, I find street shoes or sneakers make it pretty impossible to H/T easily.

And, honestly, heal toe is an overrated skill given modern transmissions. (No need to flame me--just my opinion).
It's not so much about saving the transmission as avoiding locking up the rear or the otherwise unsettling the car on threshold braking. It's a skill you've got to learn on the street as adding it to the mix while on track is just too much for most of us to tackle. Very easy to spin or burn up your clutch.

Once you get past the mechanical part of operating both pedals with one foot, it's the rev matching blip of the throttle that's hardest to master consistently. Freeway off ramps (with no cars behind) are a good place to practice as you can run through multiple downshifts.

It's certainly doable under lighter street braking, where it becomes habit, and then is really easy at the track when you are braking hard and the pedals are closer together.

Quick Reply: Physically unable to heel Toe?