Sponsored by:

1.0 bar Wastegate Actuators - Current Pricing & Source List

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2016, 06:00 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 303 Likes on 173 Posts
Default 1.0 bar Wastegate Actuators - Current Pricing & Source List

When I had my car on the lift over the weekend, I noticed that the driver side wastegate actuator rod had broken right where it connected to the wastegate lever. It felt as if it wasn't building boost lately, although I've just been driving around town - no track time. After doing some research, I realized a few things:
1. This is a pretty common occurrence. The heat and environment down there are pretty hard on them.
2. This problem won't throw a CEL or code.
3. You really can't fix the rod (although some people may possibly have welded it as a short term fix), so the fix is replacement of the wastegate actuator. They get beat up and rusted pretty badly anyway, so probably for the best to replace the entire unit.
4. Wastegate actuators come in pairs.
5. The stockers will be 0.7 bar, so you are looking at buying aftermarket.

I found the following sources and prices (for a pair):

Turbosmart $524
Forge (billet, adjustable) $455
Evolution Motorsports $395
Sharkwerks $389
AMS Performance $350 (have a unique billet offset mechanism for the rods)
Agency Power $300 (but found them on Amazon for $259)
Silly Rabbit Motorsports $200 (but not listed as a separate item on their website, thanks to 32krazy! for the lead)

Kevin - I looked on your UMW website, but couldn't get pricing on individual items, so you may want to post what you have available.

I found some promising promo codes (10% to 30% off) for various vendors online, but not one of them worked.
I didn't end up buying the Silly Rabbit ones simply because 32krazy! was concerned that it might take a couple of weeks to get them (temporary issue that I won't go into). So, I bought the Agency Power set. Unfortunately, after I ordered them, Amazon changed the 5 day quoted delivery time to 3 to 6 weeks. Ugh. Hopefully they come in quicker.

Last edited by FRUNKenstein; 05-17-2016 at 06:16 PM.
Old 05-17-2016, 06:24 PM
Th Dude
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Out of everyone you listed, the only one who contributes to this forum by freely offering his expert advice is Kevin (UMW).
Sometimes the cheapest price isn't always the best value. Supporting the vendor who supports the forum is good value, imo.
Not too late to cancel the amazon order and PM Kevin.
No offense intended, just my thoughts.
Old 05-17-2016, 06:24 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 334 Likes on 224 Posts

Before you spend monies on new wastegates. Make sure that you don't have a failing/seized wastegate lever arm. Chicken or the egg? What caused the stainless actuator arm to sheer/break?

Th Dude we posted at the same time.. From the list, the SRM actuators have the best value/pricing.
Old 05-17-2016, 06:38 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Or the (ex Bosch) Kayser 710N plastic bodied ones for cars still running original turbos (K16s at least, perhaps also suited to K24s?) from around $60 each.

They are diaphragm based so if one fails, rather than sticking, your car will probably start making duck noises, letting you know to replace it. Or I suppose you could leave it that way and race ducks down the freeway.
Old 05-17-2016, 06:42 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Th Dude
Out of everyone you listed, the only one who contributes to this forum by freely offering his expert advice is Kevin (UMW).
Sometimes the cheapest price isn't always the best value. Supporting the vendor who supports the forum is good value, imo.
Seconded, I got mine through Kevin too - along with a spectacularly bang for buck tune and a generous helping of his expert advice.
Old 05-17-2016, 06:48 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Th Dude
Absolutely agree. I just didn't see on his website where Kevin offered them for sale. That's why I put a note inviting Kevin to chime in.

I just spoke with Jason at Warehouse33auto.com. We originally spoke yesterday and he didn't think he could get them (which is why I thought I'd post my findings here). Jason is who I normally source my parts from and Jason is both a Rennlist sponsor and a 996tt owner who posts here.

Normally I wouldn't go around gathering info on who has the cheapest parts price, but since this is an aftermarket only deal and they are a little hard to find, I thought I'd post here what I learned to save everyone a little time. Anyhow, having just spoken with Jason at Warehouse33auto.com, he discovered that he can get them after all and from 3 different manufacturers. So, I've cancelled my Amazon order and will be getting them from Jason. It's a good thing to support the RL sponsors and contributors.
Old 05-17-2016, 06:53 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Kevin
Before you spend monies on new wastegates. Make sure that you don't have a failing/seized wastegate lever arm. Chicken or the egg? What caused the stainless actuator arm to sheer/break?
Good point - I saw in a thread posted here where someone's wastegate lever arm had seized. Mine moves freely, though. I didn't take a photo, but the entire arm was pretty corroded.
Old 05-17-2016, 06:56 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 334 Likes on 224 Posts

Freely cold vs freely hot (the last one is the critical and most challenging to check).
Old 05-17-2016, 07:03 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 996tnz
Or the (ex Bosch) Kayser 710N plastic bodied ones for cars still running original turbos (K16s at least, perhaps also suited to K24s?) from around $60 each.

They are diaphragm based so if one fails, rather than sticking, your car will probably start making duck noises, letting you know to replace it. Or I suppose you could leave it that way and race ducks down the freeway.
I think those Kayser 710N 's are diverter valves rather than wastegate actuators, though.

Old 05-17-2016, 07:05 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Kevin
Freely cold vs freely hot (the last one is the critical and most challenging to check).
I assume bare fingers work best?
Old 05-18-2016, 08:16 AM
RDS928S
Banned

Received 709 Likes on 316 Posts
Default Got my 1 bar WA's for $200.00

http://sillyrabbitmotorsport.com/eng...ngine-upgrades.

Not on the website but just email them.
Attached Images   

Last edited by RDS928S; 05-18-2016 at 08:41 AM.
Old 05-18-2016, 11:31 AM
Third-Reef
Three Wheelin'

Received 166 Likes on 119 Posts

I ordered the agency power actuators and when I got them the instructions showed how to put them in a vice and bend them straight. I sent them back and made new ends for my existing 1 bar actuators.
Old 05-18-2016, 11:53 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by kcattorney
I think those Kayser 710N 's are diverter valves rather than wastegate actuators, though.
Oops - right you are.
Old 05-19-2016, 10:43 AM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by RDS928S
http://sillyrabbitmotorsport.com/eng...ngine-upgrades.

Not on the website but just email them.
killer deal.. now thats more like it.
Old 05-19-2016, 12:01 PM
993GT
Rennlist Member

Received 560 Likes on 345 Posts

happy with my AMS WG's but the SRM seem to offer great value...

Quick Reply: 1.0 bar Wastegate Actuators - Current Pricing & Source List