Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Found this gem of a thread

http://986forum.com/forums/general-d...rbo-today.html

Haters gonna hate
Old 05-11-2016, 10:04 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 303 Likes on 173 Posts

Most of the comments were pretty spot on both positive and negative though.
Old 05-11-2016, 10:23 PM
Alan A
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

Didn't seem that hateful.
Can I get 5 minutes of my life back?
Old 05-12-2016, 01:11 AM
Saoirse32
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not too bad, and it's clear people are passionate either way which I think is a good thing. They are both great cars.
Old 05-12-2016, 01:59 AM
ALLUC
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Atrox did Sherman and Peabody help you find that thread...JK

The way back machine
Old 05-12-2016, 11:48 AM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Ooh, goody, pictures. Here's one of those newfangled electronic moving ones that are so treasured here:

Old 05-12-2016, 11:57 AM
5ive0
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We prob have the exact same thread with 996tt vs Ferrari F430.

Fun is definitely subjective.... Pretty sure we would all have a hoot in a Miata.
Old 05-12-2016, 12:09 PM
Atrox
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 5ive0

Fun is definitely subjective.... Pretty sure we would all have a hoot in a Miata.
Ask and you shall receive (997tt)

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/360...911-turbo.html

Corvettes?

http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/...rbo-to-c6.html
Old 05-12-2016, 12:12 PM
volv4life
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

if only i could fit.
Old 05-12-2016, 12:14 PM
dprantl
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I love it when people say you can't compare two cars because they are *so different*. It's just an excuse to hide a deficiency. They have 4 wheels? An internal combustion engine? Similar manufacture date? Within 500lb of each other? Yes, you can compare them, and no, they are not completely different. A boxster is lighter and faster around sharp turns. The 996TT is faster in a straight line. That is a comparison, and it can be done just like that.

Dan
Old 05-12-2016, 12:25 PM
Olemiss540
Rennlist Member

Received 287 Likes on 187 Posts

I can understand their prerogative. My e36M3 is MUCH more fun to track due to the fact that it is light/nimble, can be slid on demand, and does not have the $$$ penalty the Porsche would have if slid into a wall or engine overrevved (not to mention the upgraded parts pricing). I can also do every job (except tire mounting and alignments) in my garage with a basic understanding of mechanics.

To pick out the most powerful (and heaviest) car in the Porsche lineup and compare your low HP go-cart is an awkward comparison as they were inteded for COMPLETELY different objectives. There is no denying that the weight of the 911tt and the weight distribution put it at a disadvantage when it comes to the subjective "feel" and "fun" department, but you could say the same about the Boxter when it comes to the Speed, Lap Times, Engine reliability, Power, Aesthetics, Power, Safety, Aesthetics, Comfort, and Speed.

Different purposes equate to different opinions. My e36m3 is more fun that my 996tt, but mostly because of cost to repair, the threat of imminent death due to the 996's capabilities, and the fact I was able to purpose build my e36m3 for that ONE purpose (cage, harnesses, seats). At the same time, when I am running around town on an errand, or taking a trip to visit the In-Laws, the e36 would be MISERABLE and the 996tt is the best value on the market.
Old 05-12-2016, 01:55 PM
Freddie Two Bs
Rennlist Member

Received 464 Likes on 295 Posts
Default Found this gem of a thread

Originally Posted by dprantl
I love it when people say you can't compare two cars because they are *so different*. It's just an excuse to hide a deficiency. They have 4 wheels? An internal combustion engine? Similar manufacture date? Within 500lb of each other? Yes, you can compare them, and no, they are not completely different. A boxster is lighter and faster around sharp turns. The 996TT is faster in a straight line. That is a comparison, and it can be done just like that.

Dan
I think what people mean is that you can't rank one car ahead of the other
Old 05-12-2016, 01:57 PM
Freddie Two Bs
Rennlist Member

Received 464 Likes on 295 Posts

A few 991 owners tried a Fiat 500 Abarth and kept it and handed back the 991. It was on Panorama last year. Btw I have an Abarth and it is a crazy fun car.
Old 05-12-2016, 04:14 PM
Rustler
Instructor

Received 146 Likes on 60 Posts

I too spent about 10 minutes that I can never have back reading all of those circular arguments. I didn't get the impression there was too much hating going on, however, I definitely got the sense that the Boxster owners feel very defensive of their cars, and sort of apologetic all at the same time. It doesn't sound like a comfortable yoke to carry around.

I think I read at least four posts that said something to the effect of "I could afford a Turbo if I wanted one, but...." It's funny to think that someone who chose the Boxster over the Turbo supposedly because they weren't concerned with having the biggest, best, and most expensive model, is 15 years later totally hung up on having the entry level model!

I think the arguments are so circular because although it's fun to discuss any two cars, the purpose of the 996tt is different from the Boxster. So, are you debating the cars themselves, or are you debating what you want out of a car, what your vision of a good car is?
Old 05-12-2016, 04:40 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rustler
I think I read at least four posts that said something to the effect of "I could afford a Turbo if I wanted one, but...." It's funny to think that someone who chose the Boxster over the Turbo supposedly because they weren't concerned with having the biggest, best, and most expensive model, is 15 years later totally hung up on having the entry level model!
The thing is, the Boxster is really universally praised for being a great driving and handling car. The knock on the car amounts to 4 things: 1) the headlights (which I've come to appreciate as unique and being derived from the GT1); 2) that's it's an entry level model (but so is a Bentley Continental GT); 3) the IMS bearing issue (for which there is now a preventative cure); and 4) that it's a "chick" car (not much you can do about that stigma - thanks "Two and a Half Men"). Aside from a little ribbing about #4, the Boxster guys have no cause to make excuses. They are fantastic Porsches.

Quick Reply: Found this gem of a thread