Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Thinking about buying used CCW classics?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2016, 12:32 PM
gdogg16
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking about buying used CCW classics?

Think twice. I purchased a used set of classics last year and put about 3k miles on them, if that. On the way back from the PCA swap meet I developed a vibration around 80mph, figured I bent a wheel after a hard expansion joint impact north of Baltimore. Got home, pulled the wheels off to inspect them and found the wheels broken. Contacted CCW and sent them some pictures and they replied saying the wheels are a very old version of classics and several revisions behind the latest. Because of this, I'd need to update all four wheels. So what I've learned from this experience thus far, is to take caution when buying used sets of classics. Find out as much history about the wheels and the newer the better. Really displeased with the whole situation to be honest.
Name:  0563F29A-38B3-43E3-93CC-BB95171380CF_zpskwhe7bpa.jpg
Views: 1897
Size:  215.4 KB
Name:  CB63BC5A-2E79-4AAC-8836-C0FBD34C4F18_zpsi52fyr0v.jpg
Views: 1670
Size:  370.7 KB
Name:  2871D73E-7FAD-478D-B374-80DF6BF97BC6_zpsgcwlj7fx.jpg
Views: 1785
Size:  372.8 KB
Old 04-19-2016, 01:32 PM
rfloz
Advanced

About a year ago, I got some new inner barrels from CCW. If just the centers have cracked, you should be able to buy just new centers. If you can get them, I'd certainly get all four.

I heard CCW had been sold. If you call, ask if John Purner is still there. He was the owner and very helpful.

Good luck.

Edit - my wheels were 8 years old and look very similar, although the bolts on yours look wrong.

Last edited by rfloz; 04-19-2016 at 01:34 PM. Reason: more info
Old 04-19-2016, 01:33 PM
berk
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is a horrible situation. No cheap solution either. More frightening, is the simple fact that there had been several revisions to the design. I remember at one point they stopped selling Classics to 996/997 wide body applications. They were not considered safe, iirc. Sorry you are going through this.
Old 04-19-2016, 02:31 PM
gdogg16
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rfloz
About a year ago, I got some new inner barrels from CCW. If just the centers have cracked, you should be able to buy just new centers. If you can get them, I'd certainly get all four.

I heard CCW had been sold. If you call, ask if John Purner is still there. He was the owner and very helpful.

Good luck.

Edit - my wheels were 8 years old and look very similar, although the bolts on yours look wrong.
Weld bought CCW last summer some time. Since then there has been an mass exedus there. A buddy used to work there left with some of the others.

I've been in talks with CCW and I can buy new centers finished in a similar gold color for $300 each plus shipping plus shipping the old centers back. I really feel like they could do better given the circumstances. Need to inspect the last two wheels to see if they're cracked as well. Been up at children's with my daughter the past two day so I haven't had a chance.

As for bolts, there are two versions of bolts you can get, normal arp 12pt bolts or the "race" version which I have that uses normal cad plated grade 8 3/8" hardware.

Last edited by gdogg16; 04-19-2016 at 02:57 PM.
Old 04-19-2016, 02:37 PM
gdogg16
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by berk
It is a horrible situation. No cheap solution either. More frightening, is the simple fact that there had been several revisions to the design. I remember at one point they stopped selling Classics to 996/997 wide body applications. They were not considered safe, iirc. Sorry you are going through this.
Thanks Berk! Dig the new wheels.
Old 04-19-2016, 11:54 PM
berk
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gdogg16
Thanks Berk! Dig the new wheels.
Thanks, selling the Tarmacs, spread the word
Old 04-20-2016, 10:50 AM
Racer

I've got the same wheels that are being discussed. I think your bolts are wrong. Your wheels may have been apart at some point.

Wheels do wear out. We deal with these issues all the time in vintage racing. Fuchs are becoming a real problem if you race or track your car with sticky tires.

The basic rule is to take all your wheels off and clean them when you get home from the track. Then spend some time looking for cracks.

Here's an article from Vintage Motorsport that deals with all of these wheel issues.

Richard Newton
Old 04-20-2016, 11:01 AM
gdogg16
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 73911
I've got the same wheels that are being discussed. I think your bolts are wrong. Your wheels may have been apart at some point.

Wheels do wear out. We deal with these issues all the time in vintage racing. Fuchs are becoming a real problem if you race or track your car with sticky tires.

The basic rule is to take all your wheels off and clean them when you get home from the track. Then spend some time looking for cracks.

Here's an article from Vintage Motorsport that deals with all of these wheel issues.

Richard Newton
Sigh... The bolts are not wrong, they are the race version. See two posts above yours..
Old 04-21-2016, 12:39 PM
RallyeChris
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 62 Posts

Fact of the matter is, they are used wheels. How they were used, and for how long, you will never know. This can happen with a BBS or any similar wheel (cast/forged/milti-peice). Wheels should be considered a consumable, just like brake pads, tires, wheel studs, etc.

I have a set of CCW race classics on my 964. Bought from previous owner of my car. Previous owner had them for a few years, in my possession for just 1 year. I recently cracked the right rear inner barrel. How? Don't know. Probably from commuting to/from the track on NY roads getting on/off this godforsaken Island. NBD. New barrel sent from CCW (they had the specs on file from previous owner). $220. I swapped the barrels in about an hour. Just have to be careful sealing the wheel when reassembled. CCW specs a specific silicone (GE5000) and cure time (24hours). CCW was very helpful and processed my order very quickly.

Sorry to hear about your situation, but don't be surprised when buying used "racing" crap with an unknown usage and lifespan.
Old 04-21-2016, 04:12 PM
gdogg16
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RallyeChris
Fact of the matter is, they are used wheels. How they were used, and for how long, you will never know. This can happen with a BBS or any similar wheel (cast/forged/milti-peice). Wheels should be considered a consumable, just like brake pads, tires, wheel studs, etc.

I have a set of CCW race classics on my 964. Bought from previous owner of my car. Previous owner had them for a few years, in my possession for just 1 year. I recently cracked the right rear inner barrel. How? Don't know. Probably from commuting to/from the track on NY roads getting on/off this godforsaken Island. NBD. New barrel sent from CCW (they had the specs on file from previous owner). $220. I swapped the barrels in about an hour. Just have to be careful sealing the wheel when reassembled. CCW specs a specific silicone (GE5000) and cure time (24hours). CCW was very helpful and processed my order very quickly.

Sorry to hear about your situation, but don't be surprised when buying used "racing" crap with an unknown usage and lifespan.
I get that. I've owned piles of rare and expensive 3pc wheels. Not my first rodeo. The issue here is that CCW has had several revisions of the classics over the years and they recognize the fact that these older wheels are prone to cracking regardless of usage. All I'm saying is, if you're going to buy used classics, find out as much about the wheels as you can.

I use dow 832 on all my rebuilds. I completely rebuilt these wheels when I got them to set them up for a narrow g body vs a 964 which they came off of.
Old 04-24-2016, 10:45 AM
Racer

Here are the bolts that John used on my wheels. They're ARP 12-point. They're generally stronger than a Grade 8 bolt. I think they run about 180,000 psi. The stainless ones you see here are rated at 170,000 psi. That's a lot stronger than a Grade 8.

Richard Newton
Historic Racing Images

Quick Reply: Thinking about buying used CCW classics?