Sponsored by:

4Runner pricing

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2016, 12:42 PM
Andrewck
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 4Runner pricing

With great regret, I must sell my 1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 as I have a 996 C4S on the way and only one parking spot. It is a 1998 SR5 4WD with 153,000 memorable miles and one awesome roll-down rear window.

The car lived outdoors for a number of years (winters) so there is some underbody rust, front bumper rust, body wear and dings. Mechanically it's solid, but will need a little work. There's no reason it can't log another 150k miles. What's the best way to measure fair market value on it?

KBB pegs it low, NADA high and Craigslist/forum pricing is all over the place. I don't want to give the thing away, but I'm certainly not out to get top dollar or rip anybody off. Any ideas would be much appreciated.

-Andrew
Attached Images     
Old 04-19-2016, 12:51 PM
kromdom
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

have you tried asking in Toyota 4Runner forums?
Old 04-19-2016, 12:54 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 171 Posts

Here's the Manheim dealer's auction valuation report for your vehicle:

According to Manheim, it's actually low mileage as the average auction mileage for your vehicle is over 200k. Anyhow, looks like wholesale dealer auction price is about $1,800, but retail price is over $5,000. I would split the difference and think that $3,000 is a fair selling price. $4,000 would be a pretty good sale price for you. I'd probably list it at $3,950 and take $3,500 for it.
Old 04-19-2016, 12:57 PM
Paul Waterloo
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 143 Posts

You can give the car to me and I'll work on your 4S for you!

;-)

We need more details on the 4S.
Old 04-19-2016, 01:05 PM
Andrewck
Instructor

Originally Posted by Paul Waterloo

;-)

Paul, it's grey and it's beautiful.

Before posting my obligatory "New to me 996 C4S" thread, I wanted to have the car in my possession with my own photos. I'll be flying out to Kennewick, WA on Friday to pick it up...spending the weekend bringing it back to Chicago so there will be plenty of photo opportunities. Look for a post sometime Friday.
Old 04-19-2016, 01:10 PM
Andrewck
Instructor

;-)

Originally Posted by kcattorney
Here's the Manheim dealer's auction valuation report for your vehicle:

According to Manheim, it's actually low mileage as the average auction mileage for your vehicle is over 200k. Anyhow, looks like wholesale dealer auction price is about $1,800, but retail price is over $5,000. I would split the difference and think that $3,000 is a fair selling price. $4,000 would be a pretty good sale price for you. I'd probably list it at $3,950 and take $3,500 for it.
KC, thanks for pulling that. I had it listed on CL for $4k and think dropping to $3,950 is a good move. The Gen 3 4Runners seem to hold their value really really well - with a significant premium if you're in the Mountain West.
Old 04-19-2016, 01:12 PM
Paul Waterloo
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 143 Posts

That's awesome! And I do know Kennewick, I go there for business if you can believe that! As I am typing this I just got a call from one of my customers out there!

My friend in Wheaton is looking to buy a MK 1 996 in WA this week, he is having the PPI performed now. I was going to potentially fly out there with him or by myself, make a sales call, and drive the car home!

Have fun on the trip home! If you ever want to come over for maintenance in case you don't have the place or tools....just let me know.
Old 04-19-2016, 01:18 PM
Andrewck
Instructor

That's awesome! And I do know Kennewick, I go there for business if you can believe that! As I am typing this I just got a call from one of my customers out there!

My friend in Wheaton is looking to buy a MK 1 996 in WA this week, he is having the PPI performed now. I was going to potentially fly out there with him or by myself, make a sales call, and drive the car home!

Have fun on the trip home! If you ever want to come over for maintenance in case you don't have the place or tools....just let me know.
Small world! Would love that, Paul. You've been kind to offer help in the past and now that I am with Porsche, I'll take you up on that (even if it's just to head out and say hello).
Old 04-19-2016, 02:35 PM
Fracture
Rennlist Member

Received 257 Likes on 178 Posts

Andrew, I'm glad you got the C4S you wanted, despite having to travel
to get it
Can't wait for the intro thread, love the bike the way

Quick Reply: 4Runner pricing