Sponsored by:

Tip when installing Turbo S Ducts

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2016, 07:25 PM
Top-Gun
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Tip when installing Turbo S Ducts

I grabbed some Ebay/911UK Turbo S fog light ducts for my car. The quality of the housing is top notch and it uses a nice Hella light, however they don't come with any sort of connector to plug into the factory harness.

The pigtails from the lights have spade connectors on them, which you're supposed to stick into the harness connector and affix with e-tape/heat shrink. This arrangement isn't ideal in my opinion so I opted to search for a proper OEM connector.

Head to your local VW dealership and order the following:

813972926 - Round Connector - QTY 2
000979104E - Wire Set - QTY 2

Total cost in Canada was ~$40. Each "wire set" is a single wire with both ends terminated with the correct blade connectors. You cut each one in half to make one 2 pin plug.

They're simple to assemble and plug directly into the 993 fog light connector, for a totally OEM solution.

Old 04-07-2016, 08:37 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 232 Posts

Nice clean solution.

Andreas
Old 04-07-2016, 08:41 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Great find! I posted in January when I was looking for such a connector. Glad you found it and thanks for sharing!
Old 04-07-2016, 09:02 PM
dlinzy993
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found the connector on eBay for 19.00 free shipping...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VOLKSWAGENAU...U-qOpw&vxp=mtr

Denny
Old 04-08-2016, 08:42 AM
gmorat
Rennlist Member

Received 143 Likes on 89 Posts

I bought 3 sets of standard automotive connectors and put them on the foglights and the turbo scoop light so that I can swap back and forth as quickly and easily as possible.

Amazon.com: ACCEL DFI 74812 Weatherproof Electrical 2 Pin Connector: Automotive Amazon.com: ACCEL DFI 74812 Weatherproof Electrical 2 Pin Connector: Automotive

You can see it here. The foglight connector is on the other side of one of these also.

I also jumped the relay for the fog lights to get a full-time daytime running light, like this..

For this.....

Done.
Old 04-08-2016, 11:58 AM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

@gmorat: I assume you replaced the round connector on the wires that went to the fog lights with one of these standard connectors? I have the same setup for DRL by jumpering across the old relay. I didn't use a fuse in the jumper since the circuit is already fused.
Old 04-08-2016, 12:17 PM
gmorat
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by keninirvine
@gmorat: I assume you replaced the round connector on the wires that went to the fog lights with one of these standard connectors? I have the same setup for DRL by jumpering across the old relay. I didn't use a fuse in the jumper since the circuit is already fused.
No, I have the square connector AS well as the round connector.

I split the original wire along its length and added the square connector there. Switching back and forth is easy. I'm sure the other way is easy too, but I didn't want to mess with the original connectors.

G
Old 04-08-2016, 12:23 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Yes, I realized that after I posted the message. Some folks are reluctant to modify the existing wiring by cutting that lead and inserting a new set of connectors. If the matching round connector sourced from VW works, then there would be no need to cut those wires. I'm still thinking about it. Your solution is cheaper, the other one is cleaner. Thanks for sharing.
Old 04-08-2016, 02:24 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 397 Posts

Great find, thanks!! Now how about a solution for the square connector?

I think a hybrid with the VW round connector attached to a standard automotive connector may be the best option. That way you can simply attach standard automotive connectors to whatever you want to plug and play.

Now I need to figure out how much power these H? lamps need so i don't blow anything. Experimenting with these unknown lamps from China I purchased from TRE Motorsports - I'm told they no longer source these, so not sure it will be of any help to the forum.

Old 04-08-2016, 02:45 PM
gmorat
Rennlist Member

Wow! Bumperettes'B'Gone can't come soon enough. Those lights are (8O
Old 04-09-2016, 02:39 PM
1st State 993
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 23 Posts

Nice find! I just ordered a pair.
Old 04-09-2016, 03:52 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Originally Posted by dlinzy993
I found the connector on eBay for 19.00 free shipping...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VOLKSWAGENAU...U-qOpw&vxp=mtr

Denny
I just realized that Top-Gun's cost was $40 total (Canadian!), not each, and that included the wire sets. So it appears to be a cheaper solution than the eBay connectors. Thanks again Top-Gun!
Old 04-26-2016, 10:19 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 397 Posts

Just wanted to extend a huge thanks to Top Gun for sourcing the round connectors that mate with the 993 fog light harness. Also thanks to GMorat for recommending the two pin harness for a seamless and flexible wiring solution. No more dangling spades and electrical tape in a highly exposed spot. And with the weather proof two pin harnesses this is a clean and neat solution that allows for easy installation and removal at any time.

Cheers!

Old 04-27-2016, 09:32 AM
gmorat
Rennlist Member

Glad I could help. I got the idea from somebody else though I think.......

Get those bumperette holes filled and a set of euro lenses and you are set.

G

Originally Posted by Foxman
Just wanted to extend a huge thanks to Top Gun for sourcing the round connectors that mate with the 993 fog light harness. Also thanks to GMorat for recommending the two pin harness for a seamless and flexible wiring solution. No more dangling spades and electrical tape in a highly exposed spot. And with the weather proof two pin harnesses this is a clean and neat solution that allows for easy installation and removal at any time.

Cheers!

Old 04-27-2016, 12:48 PM
Top-Gun
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

That looks great, glad these connectors helped some people.

The pics are motivating me to get my bumper project finished. I stripped mine and plastic welded pieces in to fill the bumperette cutouts and welded up the license plate holes. The covers are made of Polypropylene and they plastic weld rather well.

Quick Reply: Tip when installing Turbo S Ducts