Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tip when installing Turbo S Ducts

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2020, 09:46 PM
TheDangerZone
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 85 Posts

Alright, time to phone a friend. I'm not very mechanically inclined so I apologize if this is incredibly basic level stuff. I read through this thread and Foxman's and am still confused regarding implentation.

I've purchased the scoops/lights from Type911 UK and painted them with the kit from Touchup Direct. The round connectors and wire sets just arrived. There are two, double ended wires. Total cost including shipping was about $90 for the connectors and wires.

I am still trying to figure out how to connect the wires to the LED lights and then to the stock round connector. I saw above that I am supposed to cut the wires in half. Am I supposed to cut them in half, strip the covers down to the bare wires and wrap them around the leads along with electrical tape?

Thanks in advance
Old 03-19-2021, 02:29 PM
alsamrob4
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDangerZone
Alright, time to phone a friend. I'm not very mechanically inclined so I apologize if this is incredibly basic level stuff. I read through this thread and Foxman's and am still confused regarding implentation.

I've purchased the scoops/lights from Type911 UK and painted them with the kit from Touchup Direct. The round connectors and wire sets just arrived. There are two, double ended wires. Total cost including shipping was about $90 for the connectors and wires.

I am still trying to figure out how to connect the wires to the LED lights and then to the stock round connector. I saw above that I am supposed to cut the wires in half. Am I supposed to cut them in half, strip the covers down to the bare wires and wrap them around the leads along with electrical tape?

Thanks in advance
How many cans of Touchup Direct did you use for the scoops?
Old 03-19-2021, 10:19 PM
71-3.0-911
Rennlist Member

Received 764 Likes on 514 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDangerZone
Absolutely not. That connection won't be secure at all. I am guessing you don't have a soldering iron so go get some butt splices that are appropriate for your gauge wire. Preferably environmental splices that are wrapped in heat shrink so your connection is water tight.

If you don't feel comfortable doing this, I'd reach out to local rennlisters for help.

-Scott
Old 05-29-2021, 12:52 PM
alsamrob4
Rennlist Member

Deleted

Last edited by alsamrob4; 05-29-2021 at 01:04 PM. Reason: found a thread
Old 09-01-2021, 11:04 PM
eaa72
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello. May I ask how you were to open the housing? Did you use a specific tool?
Old 09-02-2021, 10:11 AM
alsamrob4
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by eaa72
Hello. May I ask how you were to open the housing? Did you use a specific tool?
If you mean the light housing, there was a little notch on one side. Inserted a small screwdriver, and carefully twisted. The housing popped apart.

Old 09-02-2021, 09:20 PM
eaa72
7th Gear

Thank you for the information.
Old 08-09-2023, 05:42 PM
Fox30
AutoX

Smile 993 Foglight & Day running light connectors

Originally Posted by Top-Gun
I grabbed some Ebay/911UK Turbo S fog light ducts for my car. The quality of the housing is top notch and it uses a nice Hella light, however they don't come with any sort of connector to plug into the factory harness.

The pigtails from the lights have spade connectors on them, which you're supposed to stick into the harness connector and affix with e-tape/heat shrink. This arrangement isn't ideal in my opinion so I opted to search for a proper OEM connector.

Head to your local VW dealership and order the following:

813972926 - Round Connector - QTY 2
000979104E - Wire Set - QTY 2

Total cost in Canada was ~$40. Each "wire set" is a single wire with both ends terminated with the correct blade connectors. You cut each one in half to make one 2 pin plug.

They're simple to assemble and plug directly into the 993 fog light connector, for a totally OEM solution.

Hi Top Gun,
many thanks for this information and ordering numbers of the connectors.
I tried to install LED bulbs and they did not worked until I found out that polarity was switched. Now I made 2 jumper cables and they work fine.
And I am happy now with my working LED Day Light running lights :-)
Old 11-02-2023, 06:39 AM
YellowDieselGolf
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

Does anyone have parts numbers for the square connectors? I know there's a work-around up above but I want to keep the harness as in-tact as possible.
Old 01-11-2024, 10:54 PM
BOBOYDDS
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Finally decided to paint and install the scoops and hella lights I bought 7 years ago. I sourced the round connector for $5 on eBay. I plan to install this weekend but wanted to see what they looked like today so I pulled off the original fog light.
my question is what did everyone do with the wires on the right? The round connector made sense to get to get a nice OEM connection but the other set is never really mentioned in the threads as what to do with them.

Plan to connect the Hella light to the left round connector. What did everyone do with the right set of wires that connected to the original fog lamp
Old 01-12-2024, 11:25 AM
PRSWILL
Rennlist Member

Received 470 Likes on 309 Posts

I heat shrinked mine over- I also capped the vents- used bearing buddy covers- black rubber and electrical tape to cap them off- worked great.
Attached Images  
The following users liked this post:
BOBOYDDS (01-13-2024)
Old 01-12-2024, 11:48 AM
alsamrob4
Rennlist Member

Did you put any protective film on the ducts? When I Installed mine they took a beating, and the paint/clear coat chipped up pretty badly. Had the ducts re-sprayed for install this spring and thinking about having them 3M'd.
Old 01-12-2024, 02:59 PM
PRSWILL
Rennlist Member

Received 470 Likes on 309 Posts

I had the whole front of the car PPF'd in 2020- everything from the windshield forward/fenders etc. and the door handle cups and that little piece of metal in front of the vent on the hood above the spray nozzles. It's saved me MANY chips- especially in the wheel wells behind the front wheels where the painted body meets the rocker panels.
The following users liked this post:
alsamrob4 (01-12-2024)
Old 01-12-2024, 03:08 PM
alsamrob4
Rennlist Member

Thanks. Think it might be time for that for me. Right now it's just the headlights.
Old 01-13-2024, 10:56 PM
BOBOYDDS
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the tip @PRSWILL!
I found some vinyl tube caps at Tap Plastics and used a heat gun to form them to cover the ducts.
Finally installed. I checked the receipt and I bought these in 2016. Shortly after this thread was started 😂

Quick Reply: Tip when installing Turbo S Ducts