Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997 Still Gets Lots of Attention

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2016, 12:19 PM
Strelok
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My base 2005 arctic silver 997 gets a surprising amount of attention. I do think the AWE mufflers help.

For reference, my last car was a purple M3 convertible and the 997 gets much more attention despite being a much more muted color.
Old 04-04-2016, 12:26 PM
snake eyes
Three Wheelin'

Received 363 Likes on 224 Posts

I get surprising amount of attention.. found my car in this video too second one.

I'm amazed because I bought the car to be more under the radar..
The Exige S260 sport was a car that screems look at me.
Old 04-04-2016, 01:19 PM
Ben Z
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Around me Porsches are a dime a dozen, and there are lots of Ferraris, Lambos and every other megabuck supercar you can name. I haven't gotten any attention from youngster in the 7 years I've owned it, perhaps because it's black with stock silver wheels and not kitted-out in any way. Middle-aged guys sometimes comment in a parking lot or gas station, usually ask what year it is and are shocked when I tell them it's 11 years old.
Old 04-04-2016, 01:45 PM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by WV997S
Totally agree. Driving a Meteor Grey 911 vs driving a Grabber Blue GT500 is night and day difference in the amount of attention. The Shelby drew far more attention.
Same here, my 911 gets the occasional compliment. My Shelby GT350 gets people losing their mind and filming it on the road like it's a one off hypercar. Completely unexpected.
Attached Images  
Old 04-04-2016, 01:58 PM
Carmichael
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Para82
Same here, my 911 gets the occasional compliment. My Shelby GT350 gets people losing their mind and filming it on the road like it's a one off hypercar. Completely unexpected.
Damn, I must have missed the thread where you actually picked one up.

You got the BEST color combo. White/Blue to represent America in international motorsports!
Old 04-04-2016, 02:07 PM
Para82
Race Car

Originally Posted by Carmichael
Damn, I must have missed the thread where you actually picked one up.

You got the BEST color combo. White/Blue to represent America in international motorsports!
Thanks man! 5000-8250 RPM drills right through your skull - it's the most intoxicating sports car i've ever driven.

Even with this beast in the stable I still love the 997, irreplaceable driving experience and one of the most classic and elegant Porsche series built. I plan on adding 997.2 in the near future. Fantastic cars.

Last edited by Para82; 04-04-2016 at 10:37 PM.
Old 04-04-2016, 06:18 PM
Carmichael
Burning Brakes

If any dealers would have sold me a GT350 at MSRP, we would have met on a GT350 forum instead of Rennlist, but alas ...

I really liked the S550 GT 5.0 with Performance Pack + cloth Recaros that I test-drove. I think for the Midwest, it would have been a better car, than a 997. Especially taking the terrain (or lack thereof) into account.
Old 04-04-2016, 08:48 PM
hollywood1053
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Para82
Nice car....
Old 04-04-2016, 08:54 PM
RaidersR1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw a Rouch Racing Supercharged Stang two weekends ago. Black on Black. Looked good. But dealer wanted a 19,999 markup. NOT.

47k for that car is great. But adding the mark up ruins any chance of buying it. Hate freed when the car has no collector value yet.

Reminds me when the new Thunderbird came out. Dealer would not let me sit in the car without a 1k deposit. WTF? They had a 20k markup on the car too. Feel sorry for the idiot who bought into that car.
Old 04-04-2016, 10:32 PM
Para82
Race Car

If any dealers would have sold me a GT350 at MSRP, we would have met on a GT350 forum instead of Rennlist, but alas..
I hadn't originally planned on buying a Gt350 until my dealer agreed to sell me one that I could spec out myself at msrp. That was last July that I ordered and the car was delivered Jan 15th. They were offered 10k over list from wholesale brokers and other dealers for the allocation while I waited.

Originally Posted by hollywood1053
Nice car....
Thank you, it's been a lot of fun.

Originally Posted by RaidersR1
I saw a Rouch Racing Supercharged Stang two weekends ago. Black on Black. Looked good. But dealer wanted a 19,999 markup. NOT.

47k for that car is great. But adding the mark up ruins any chance of buying it. Hate freed when the car has no collector value yet.

Reminds me when the new Thunderbird came out. Dealer would not let me sit in the car without a 1k deposit. WTF? They had a 20k markup on the car too. Feel sorry for the idiot who bought into that car.
The Roush never impressed me all that much, and 20k markup is ridicolous.
Old 04-05-2016, 01:14 AM
motopix
Pro

I really liked the S550 GT 5.0 with Performance Pack + cloth Recaros that I test-drove. I think for the Midwest, it would have been a better car, than a 997. Especially taking the terrain (or lack thereof) into account.
I was pretty set on getting a new 5.0 w/PP & Recaros. Very excited, read all the forums and the problems with them but it still didn't put me off.

The day I went to the dealer to check out one exactly as wanted, I just wasn't feeling it for some reason. The next day, went to check out this used 2006 911 that I had debated about for a month. Almost turned around half way to the dealership but figured no, I'll just it out of my system and go look at it. That's all she wrote.

I'm even considering 'upgrading' to a used 997.2 with lower miles but I have a bit of an attachment to this dinged up tub now that it's been refreshed mechanically, is running great and costs me nothing (at the moment).
Old 04-05-2016, 01:48 AM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 348 Likes on 159 Posts

This is me x2.

For a guy used to selling a case to 6-12 strangers, some people think it's weird that I like to spend most of my weekends alone with my hobbies.
So it's weird that you don't want to do for entertainment the same thing you have to do to for a living? *Nicolas Cage you don't say meme*

There is a very small but fortunate percentage whose vocation is their occupation. For the rest of us...well.... we come here and find like-minded dudes on the internet then meet them in person and let them plug their computer into our cars. lmao.
Old 04-05-2016, 01:52 AM
rodH
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 87 Posts

In south OC, my 911 is a dime a dozen. I guess since it is Guards, it gets a tiny bit more with some people. I also don't do anything to try and get attention. Drives me crazy when I see a Vette backed into a parking spot at the grocery store parking lot, Really? like it is something special, yet there are Lambos, Ferraris, and Macs all around us.
Old 04-05-2016, 02:15 AM
vbb
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by rodH
In south OC, my 911 is a dime a dozen. I guess since it is Guards, it gets a tiny bit more with some people. I also don't do anything to try and get attention. Drives me crazy when I see a Vette backed into a parking spot at the grocery store parking lot, Really? like it is something special, yet there are Lambos, Ferraris, and Macs all around us.
I once saw 4 different Porsches (3 911s and a Cayman) in about 30 mins during a drive in my area, but that doesn't mean this car doesn't still get plenty of attention. It really does. I particularly am flattered when people tell me this is their dream car, because I always tell them it is mine too...and mean it.

By the way, don't get bothered at the people backing their vettes in to spots...they are obviously proud of their car, and that's perfectly fine despite the fact that other more exotic and expensive cars are around.
Old 04-05-2016, 03:01 AM
rodH
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by vbb

By the way, don't get bothered at the people backing their vettes in to spots...they are obviously proud of their car, and that's perfectly fine despite the fact that other more exotic and expensive cars are around.
It's not that they are proud of their car it's the way they want everyone else to be proud of it.

How's this for an example on my morning commute and see....

I'd win? Really?

Quick Reply: 997 Still Gets Lots of Attention