Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Redoing my grey interior to break up the monotony of all-grey all the time

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2016, 07:46 AM
makemann
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Wow, that is some beautiful craftsmanship! Can't wait to see how it all ties together.
Old 03-25-2016, 01:07 PM
Leander
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't understand this vitriolic hatred for Classic Grey

Old 03-25-2016, 01:17 PM
INTMD8
Rennlist Member

Received 265 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Jlaa
I got the first pieces back from Paul Champagne ---
Looks great!
Old 03-27-2016, 02:41 PM
Jlaa
Rennlist Member

Received 193 Likes on 125 Posts

More pieces .... Note over time I am using a different grey for all the interior bits .... A little warmer than CG with a heavier texture ... Italian leather.

The following users liked this post:
M. Schneider (06-04-2023)
Old 03-27-2016, 05:09 PM
uniquenamehere
Three Wheelin'

Received 140 Likes on 93 Posts

Very different, but it looks good... looking forward to seeing the end result!

More pieces .... Note over time I am using a different grey for all the interior bits .... A little warmer than CG with a heavier texture ... Italian leather.
Old 03-28-2016, 09:10 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Received 540 Likes on 394 Posts

Originally Posted by Leander
I don't understand this vitriolic hatred for Classic Grey]
Not hating grey, just trying to accent the grey so it can be properly appreciated. Some clean black floor mats and a black 996 leather three spoke in your car and the grey looks beautiful. . A black stick shift and boot might also help.
Old 03-28-2016, 10:58 PM
_snowbird_
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very nice!

Old 03-29-2016, 02:27 PM
Jlaa
Rennlist Member

Here are the rear seats installed. It is a very retro look. The white balance is tough to get right under fluorescent lighting ... But you can see that this new grey is a touch different than classic grey.... It has a touch more warmth and a touch less blue ... Perhaps a faint bit of green depending on the lighting. The steering wheel photos and the rear seat photosshow thesame leather used, so you can see how the color cast is a bit tough to control.

The new grey should be very very complementary to Aventurine green. As I mentioned in the beginning of this thread, I like the IDEA of a grey interior (all business, very serious) but I'm not too fond of Porsche's execution. I am out to do richer, more visually immersive, more textural execution keeping homage to the spirit that Porsche had in mind in the early 90s.

I will be recovering the other interior panels in the new grey as well for consistency.

BTW - whoever at Porsche was responsible for specifying the rear bottom seat cushion glue overdid it by about 2300 percent. So. Much. Glue.
Old 03-29-2016, 04:04 PM
gonzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Looks cool! Nice choice!!!
Old 03-30-2016, 01:57 PM
3healey
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Here's what I did to break up the grey:

Works for me, but as usual, YMMV.
Old 03-30-2016, 02:16 PM
FrenchToast
Three Wheelin'

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Leander
Classic Grey
I like it. I think it's a very controversial interior as far as opinions go. Nice leather too!

That's beautiful. Would you happen to have any more shots of that?
This reminds me a lot of the 1988 Porsche 944 Celebration Editions --- that fabric is a unicorn to find .... might be lovely w/ that.

It isn't too difficult to find. There is a German company that stocks most all of the older Porsche fabrics.

Note the illustration --- Porsche it seems had intended to equip the 993 with the same fabric and "PORSCHE PORSCHE" script on its seats --- but this never came to fruition.
I believe it was available, however rarely selected. IIRC it is more common in Europe, where it is still very rare.

More pieces
I know Porsche made leather steering pads, but I would make sure that leather has the same rupture characteristics of the old one. And consider replacing the 20-yr old bag too.

I like the attention to detail! I think the deep '928 style' cushions should work out well. Is the script etched? I can't imagine it is hand threaded.

Looking forward to seeing it all together. Looks great.
Old 03-30-2016, 02:49 PM
Jlaa
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FrenchToast
It isn't too difficult to find. There is a German company that stocks most all of the older Porsche fabrics.
Apparently I was looking in all the wrong places. :-) I contacted Porsche NA and they told me the fabric was NLA, so I gave up on that! :-(

I know Porsche made leather steering pads, but I would make sure that leather has the same rupture characteristics of the old one. And consider replacing the 20-yr old bag too.
Thanks for the tip - they should be the same. Both Porsche and good aftermarket professionals use the same approach when covering the vinyl airbag cover with leather --- which is that they make a fake french seam down the horizontal seam at the middle of the cover and just glue the leather to the vinyl. Since there is no seam bound with thread along the middle, the airbag opens the same way. If you look carefully there is no thread in that middle seam.... hence it is fake! :-)

I like the attention to detail! I think the deep '928 style' cushions should work out well. Is the script etched? I can't imagine it is hand threaded.
Looking forward to seeing it all together. Looks great.
[/QUOTE]

Thanks. The script is burned in with a laser. I like it a lot. It is a just a little bit ostentatious --- in that way that Porsche was slightly ostentatious in the 80s and early 90s. Since then I feel Porsche has become a much more conservative company (at least in the interior designs) as it focuses on growth and a larger addressable market.

Here is a closeup -

Also, 3Healey - I believe you have a 1997 or 1998 model. It is nice. Those models are nice - there is a built in advantage with the door panel (which are different that the 1995/1996 models) whereby Porsche could accent the band in black.

Old 03-30-2016, 03:17 PM
3healey
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Correct, 1997. But the doors were solid grey from the factory. I installed the black panels to break up the grey.
Old 04-03-2016, 04:27 AM
Jlaa
Rennlist Member

i had a lot of doubts over color choices and design --- but I'll be darned, this works. So far this has exceeded my expectations and Paul's craftsmanship on the soft back sport seats is really really really nice.

Old 04-03-2016, 07:52 AM
makemann
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Outstanding craftsmanship!

Quick Reply: Redoing my grey interior to break up the monotony of all-grey all the time