Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Softback/harback SportSeats

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2016, 07:30 PM
Jlaa
Rennlist Member

Received 193 Likes on 125 Posts

These black ones with lasered pascha leather inserts are also from Paul Champagne's website.

I've spoken w/ Paul a bunch --- he's a great guy and a long time RL member over on the 928 forums. Super resourceful --- volume limited though --- it is just himself and his wife - no employees. Long lead times - 6 months from when I first started talking with him to when he got started. What he does though is really fantastic --- I look at his work as "resto-mod" / "singer" type work. He likes to take the original intent and iterate/improve on it to the n-th degree.

He's mentioned to me that the metal frame under the 993/964/some 944/968/later 928 are all the same. The only differences are:

a) upholstery stitching pattern for the inserts
b) whether or not the frame has the extra metal bars that comprise of the extra bolstering for "sport seats" or not.

I do know that Paul will convert non-sport seats to sport seats if you are going through a re-upholstering project w/ him.

Old 03-23-2016, 08:07 PM
mpruden
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts

Why haven't I seen Paul Champagne's work before? Those seats are amazing!
Old 03-23-2016, 08:25 PM
Opo
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Jlaa
These black ones with lasered pascha leather inserts are also from Paul Champagne's website.

I've spoken w/ Paul a bunch --- he's a great guy and a long time RL member over on the 928 forums. Super resourceful --- volume limited though --- it is just himself and his wife - no employees. Long lead times - 6 months from when I first started talking with him to when he got started. What he does though is really fantastic --- I look at his work as "resto-mod" / "singer" type work. He likes to take the original intent and iterate/improve on it to the n-th degree.

He's mentioned to me that the metal frame under the 993/964/some 944/968/later 928 are all the same. The only differences are:

a) upholstery stitching pattern for the inserts
b) whether or not the frame has the extra metal bars that comprise of the extra bolstering for "sport seats" or not.

I do know that Paul will convert non-sport seats to sport seats if you are going through a re-upholstering project w/ him.

I got on the waiting list 3 years ago for a set of 993 sport seats , he said in 3 months he would get back with me , contacted him 4 months later and he said he got a little sick and I will be hearing from him soon and I'm still waiting 🤔🤔
Old 03-23-2016, 08:37 PM
GBX
Rennlist Member

Received 269 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by potent951turbo
Nam is right, I was selling a set of heated 964 heated sport seats a few months ago. Those seats are gone but I have a TON of sport seats so I'm checking if I have any 993 styled ones this weekend.
if you have any in cashmere, i'm interested
Old 03-23-2016, 08:42 PM
Jlaa
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Opo
I got on the waiting list 3 years ago for a set of 993 sport seats , he said in 3 months he would get back with me , contacted him 4 months later and he said he got a little sick and I will be hearing from him soon and I'm still waiting 🤔🤔
Hey R - I'd say give Paul another chance. I got on the waiting list and it took 6 months to start +/- another month. I've been very pleased with the working dynamic. He's a big time craftsman and something relevant to note is that he looks at his work as art in the sense that he's always trying to try something new, something different. His goal is to always push boundaries, not do the same thing over and over again.

As such, its just himself and his wife Linda. They don't have any other one working for them. They are really good people --- the business is pretty much something they do as they really enjoy it --- I don't get the sense that they are doing it 24x7 52 weeks a year --- he does I think split his time between TX and up north (where he takes a break from upholstery).

Anyways, email has been super responsive. I'd say if you're looking to do something that is exactly as stock and/or looking to do something with a precise timeline in mind, then you might want to explore a somewhat larger outfit. If you're approach seats with a more vague timeline and something that is different - Paul's your man.
Old 03-23-2016, 11:53 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Received 540 Likes on 394 Posts

Here's a beat up set of seats from a 928 part out that might make a nice set of cheap cores for a refurb.

https://rennlist.com/forums/parts-ma...928-parts.html
Old 03-24-2016, 12:11 AM
Jlaa
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Foxman
Here's a beat up set of seats from a 928 part out that might make a nice set of cheap cores for a refurb.

https://rennlist.com/forums/parts-ma...928-parts.html
Hi Fox - I am not sure those fit a 993. I know the late 928 seats have the same frame and electrical connections. I am not sure if the early 928 seats fit. See the diff below --

1st pic --- restored early 928 seats
2nd pic --- restored late 928 seats with non-OE stitching pattern

Old 04-02-2016, 01:34 AM
Jlaa
Rennlist Member

Softback conversions a-la 928 insert style --> going into the 993.

Quick Reply: Softback/harback SportSeats