Old 03-31-2016, 02:27 AM
Kimbleli
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 76 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Suggestion on a 964 Targa in Miami

Hi guys,

I'm a new member of Rennlist and fulfilling my dream of owning a 964. I found a satisfied 964 Targa in Miami.

https://www.classic.com/detail/1991-964-Carrera-2_155

Since I have never bought a classic car, your help will be very appreciated. Would you please give me some suggestions on it? Anyone did business with this dealership? How about the price of this targa?

I checked carfax/autocheck, all records look good. The dealership also did a PPI at Champions Porsche, they will send me the PPI doc tomorrow. Should I do a PPI at another shop which not recommended by the seller?

-momo
Old 03-31-2016, 09:36 AM
rsabeebe
Rennlist Member

Received 978 Likes on 638 Posts

57.5 seems a bit steep for a C2 targa, but the mileage is nice and low and condition appears very good (quick review). even though it's being sold by a dealer - who will tell you that they've done a 1,000 point inspection on the car - do a PPI at a qualified indy. for 57.5, i'd expect near perfection (again, for a targa). 57.5 should get you a near perfect coupe, to be honest.
Old 03-31-2016, 10:10 AM
MTR
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Too pricey in my opinion for a targa. Especially for an early year car (pre-1992).

Are you set on the removable top? If not you might want to look for a coupe, because if you don't mind buying at this price point you should be able to find a very nice example of a C2 manual coupe.
Old 03-31-2016, 11:02 AM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 429 Likes on 278 Posts

MikeP has a fantastic Targa for sale for 45k

send him a PM. We have been sorting it out and its a very good car. Spend less and get a good car you can trust - cuz you don't want to pay up for the car in Miami and find out you need to spend 10k to sort it.

Mikes car at 45k is a good solid deal.

The saying used to be "Every 911 is a 30k car" Buy for 15k and you'll have 15k to put in...buy for 25k and you'll put in 5k....

You can get a reasonable 964 for 35-40k...but you will spend a lot to sort it out. and if you don't do the work yourself - you will spend ALOT more...so...buy well. Something from a trusted source will give you a good car and the right list of what more needs to be done and how much that will cost. I'd be happy to help walk you through mikes car since i know it well - and he is 100% honest - so you would know exactly what you are walking into.

just putting that out there. Its black with linen interior, freshly redone and more or less perfect in the interior btw...And the Targa top was just sent to the right guy to be rebuilt so the top is now 100% perfect - it had been previously rebuilt and wasn't right - mike has been sparing no expense to make the car right.

also - with a targa - speaking of tops - do not buy a targa without driving it at speed - when the top doesn't fit right - the air noise with bug the crap out of you. and tops are very expensive. so keep that in mind - your PPI guy will not likely drive the car at speed. so you won't know unless you can either trust the seller (usually impossible) or drive it yourself.
Old 03-31-2016, 11:49 AM
jpoint
Burning Brakes

Received 356 Likes on 218 Posts

I love Tagra's and currently own my 4th one, but they are not the popular choice among 911 fans and the softest priced (except the soft windows). There are many Porsche options in the $55K range. If you MUST own a Targa consider this one if you can push the price more toward reality. If you just happened to like this one - you might want to keep looking. MikeP's car sounds like the better investment (don't know seller or car). You'll find guys selling their personal love affair cars out there at below $55k in a 964.
Old 03-31-2016, 12:15 PM
Kimbleli
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Thanks guys! Your replies helped me a lot. Really appreciate.

I just hang up the phone with the dealership. The 964 Targa in Mimia did have a engine leak. The sellers promised to fix it on their cost. I would like to wait and see the final result. While at the same time, I am starting looking for new target now.

Actually, I'm not tie to Targa. I like both 964 Coupe and Targa. Just don't like the convertible.

@Goughary, I really like your concept "Every 911 is a 30k car" , that is the most insightful words I learnt about classic Porsche!!

For MikeP, I will contact him. BTW, May I ask how I can find MikeP?

-momo
Old 03-31-2016, 12:20 PM
Goughary
Race Car

You can pm mikep directly or pm me and I'll pass you his number.

The 45k number is where I think he is still at. But he has been spending to sort the car. So not 100% he is still at that number. Don't want to make promises out of turn...

Pm me and I'll give yu his number. Car is in westchester area outside Nyc. If you are local to drive it...

Trending Topics

Old 03-31-2016, 12:36 PM
Kimbleli
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

@Gouhary, I found mikeP and PM him. Thanks for the introducing.

Follow us on Instagram: silverocket718 to stay updated on latest SR products in development.

Old 03-31-2016, 12:37 PM
jpoint
Burning Brakes

Received 356 Likes on 218 Posts

BTW - if you're looking for a low mileage, clean 911, don't ignore the north. The season here is short and there are lots of guys who only drive their cars on sunny weekends 5 - 6 months a year. My '90 Targa is a 61k mile car and it was not a garage queen. It just didn't get driven on crummy days (plenty of those in Chicago). Also - if you continue the search - find out who the great Porsche independent shops are in different regions. Many times those guys will know what's in the shadow market - customers who have decided to change cars and asked their trusted mechanic about options. These guys know who's looking to buy - but also who's looking to sell often before the car hits the market. The best of these shops can also tell you which seller is meticulous about the care of the car and have often seen the guts of the car better than you'd see in a PPI. The best of them won't risk their reputation to lie for a customer with a problematic car - they just don't suggest that car up front. A bit more work for you up front - but you'll have allot more information for making a proper selection - wherever you buy.
Old 03-31-2016, 12:42 PM
Kimbleli
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

@Jpoint, Got you. It is really helpful.
Old 03-31-2016, 12:59 PM
Kimbleli
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Hi guys,

Below are the PPI photos& Report of the targa in Miami.
I'm curious about:
1. The leak is so easy to be seen. Why didn't the seller wipe it out before doing the PPI?
2. The Champions Porsche guy said it would take 20~30 hours to fix the engine leak. Is it a normal fix with 20 years' Porsche?

Old 03-31-2016, 01:54 PM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 469 Likes on 281 Posts

OP- I don't know MikeP but Goughary was of tremendous help and a wealth of knowledge when I was searching for my 964! Awesome RL'er
Old 03-31-2016, 03:08 PM
spartansix
Rennlist Member

Received 434 Likes on 249 Posts

That does not look like the underside and PPI of a 50k+ 964.
That looks like the underside/PPI of a 30k 964.

Moreover, the front bumper has been hit on a speedbump, kerb, or angled driveway - you can see that the lower valance has been pushed up where it should be flat.

I'd walk away from this one - they put more money into the buff & polish and the photography than sorting the car.
Old 03-31-2016, 04:04 PM
u7t2p7
Banned

Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts

I live in Miami and have never heard of this company. This car is $10k over priced, as is. The same company is also selling a mid mileage 993 targa for $130,000. That should be reason enough to run away from this company.
Old 03-31-2016, 07:03 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Here's why I would run, not walk away....

Well there are many.

First. The car is not worth 57k. As stated earlier. Buy a good car for less.

Second, and this may be more important. The first comment in the ppi is "missing engine belly pan". So you can only half trust your ppi. Clearly the guy doing it doesn't know specifically 964.

Turn your head and run. You will find a better car and pay less. There was a guy on rennlist just a few weeks ago that bought the cleanest c2 coupe I have ever seen for a few k more than this "normal" "average" targa.

Don't pay up for average and normal. Pay up because someone just did all the work for you

Quick Reply: Suggestion on a 964 Targa in Miami