964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suggestion on a 964 Targa in Miami

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2016 | 07:05 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Oh. And don't worry about the cost of a ppi. You will save more money than all the ppi you do, if you listen to the right people on rennlist, and listen to the ppi. So a few k spent will be many more saved
Old 03-31-2016 | 10:03 PM
LPMM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Goughary
The first comment in the ppi is "missing engine belly pan". So you can only half trust your ppi. Clearly the guy doing it doesn't know specifically 964.
That's the problem when taking an air cooled 911 to a Porsche dealer. They are great for newer vehicles, not so much with old school stuff.
Old 03-31-2016 | 10:22 PM
Bloose993TT
Three Wheelin'

I would recommend trying to buy from a private party/enthusiast. So many over priced polished turds out there at dealers. Check this thread out also. https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...ailed-ppi.html
Old 04-01-2016 | 12:45 PM
Kimbleli
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Thanks guys. I learnt a lot from you guys!

Follow us on Instagram: silverocket718 to stay updated on latest SR products in development.

Old 04-01-2016 | 01:02 PM
vagluv
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Goughary

Second, and this may be more important. The first comment in the ppi is "missing engine belly pan". So you can only half trust your ppi. Clearly the guy doing it doesn't know specifically 964.
Originally Posted by LPMM
That's the problem when taking an air cooled 911 to a Porsche dealer. They are great for newer vehicles, not so much with old school stuff.
I'm not sure what you guys are saying. The car is missing its engine tray, so the ppi was correct in noting it. Just because it's common for the 964 to have it missing doesn't mean they shouldn't note it. It's common to have engine leaks too, but we still want them to note and diagnose those!
Old 04-04-2016 | 02:12 PM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Default Depends

I also love the targa's but question a bit of the value proposition. All of these cars were hand made and very low production numbers. I would say value is affected by the following things in the following order. Convertible (as you mentioned), Tiptronic, and C4 (versus C2).

With Porsche's new push on the reimagined yet somewhat retro looking targa I expect the cars to gain significantly in value in the next 20 years. Low production numbers = good 911 Porsche investment. Plus who does not like the targa roll bar ...
Originally Posted by jpoint
I love Tagra's and currently own my 4th one, but they are not the popular choice among 911 fans and the softest priced (except the soft windows). There are many Porsche options in the $55K range. If you MUST own a Targa consider this one if you can push the price more toward reality. If you just happened to like this one - you might want to keep looking. MikeP's car sounds like the better investment (don't know seller or car). You'll find guys selling their personal love affair cars out there at below $55k in a 964.
Old 04-06-2016 | 11:06 AM
drola
Rennlist Member

my recent experience with champion ppi's.
they have no clue about air cooled cars !!!!!!
take them a water pumper and they are all over it. air cooled - not so much. actually not at all.
they told a potential buyer my car had a severe leak at the no 8 beraring, ims seal as well as rms. quoted 10-13k for repairs.
got the car back to my shop to verify, all it needs are valve cover and chain box gaskets. all the stated "severe leakage" points were bone dry.
what i'm saying is, to verify an oil leak first you need to clean the engine and then run it to see where the oil is coming from (which they did not). you can not take off the lower belly pan, see a few years worth of nothing more than seepage, and scare the crap out of a customer saying the car needs $13k worth of repairs.
NEVER AGAIN will i take a car to champion motorsports for a ppi. i would strongly advise anyone considering it to run away and take your air cooled to someone who actually knows a thing or two about air cooled. champion does not. very, very disappointing to say the least

Quick Reply: Suggestion on a 964 Targa in Miami