Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When 944's were new.

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2016, 01:44 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks Dino

The car looks a bit unsettled or 'twisted' in this photo as it is sitting in a slight ditch and is pulling up so lightly on the rear suspension. The ditch starts where the car is sitting ( and where I washed it ), and drops considerably as it exits the farm yard and into the drain running east and west.

I like these flat FUCHS wheels as well, but they did come off a later S - 944 so I had to use spacers. The car came with a set of FUCHS black center and Cookies, plus another set of aftermarket wheels from the seller. I bought it and drove it back from Tucumcari, NM in early spring maybe 10 years ago; actually Good Friday weekend and on the return, encountered a serious icy road and blizzard condition, traveling in wet , 32 degree, snowy roads on near smooth slicks with the cookies mounted.

Exhilarating does not adequately describe the situation.

Thanks for posting that Monroney Sticker for your car ODonnell. Would you reveal what the grand total was ?

I have the window stickers and bill of sales to the first seller on most of my cars..... the '82 build Guards Red car had a base price of 18,800 if I remember correctly, but the options and dealer 'margin pak' created a car which pushed near to 23.5. They were selling them as fast as they could and this was one of the first in the country into Colorado where folks were lined up knee deep and river wide to take possession.

The Ruby Red Delete special had already risen to 21,100 by sale date in early '84. ( It is a late '83 built unit ) and with all the added extras ( huge rear spoiler, extra wheel set, hand built / balanced engine and trans, plus the un-requested alarm the guy didn't order, the car listed over 26 new. He had Perspex glass, plastic hood, fenders, bumpers, valance, sound deadener delete, sunroof delete, wiper delete, rear privacy shade delete, foglights, cigarette lighter, gas cap lock, stereo deleted among other items. It has the raised hub option on the steering wheel which brings it back and off the dash and up off the knees slightly.

The console and coin box/cassette holder and a few other things like foglights and window tint got added by the second owner who did NOT realize what he was doing. He was even going to put in an aftermarket sunroof !, but his marriage was ending and he sold off all his Corvettes, BMWs, this Porsche in the divorce. He had the car less than a couple of months.

THANKFULLY ~ for me and the car's sake. I contacted the original owner who has all the Perspex items, deep rear spoiler, plastic front fenders and hood as it came from Porsche, but he is unwilling to sell it on at the moment. He realizes it should go with the car's heritage, but even as he pushes near 80 says he wishes to keep these for the moment. He promises he will contact me when it's time to sell the trove of Porsche stash he has accumulated over 5 decades of enthusiastic driver's ed instructing, competing, and collecting...... ( I'll NEVER be able to afford that 908 sitting under the cover in his shop, but it would be lovely sitting next to this old girl, it's onetime stable mate. )
Old 03-28-2016, 05:22 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

The full leather Sport Seats in the '82 build car. Original, not replaced or re-dyed, with 52,000 miles on the car since July of 1982.

Regular partial leather in Grey Beige in the February '84 built M456, Weissach prepped 944 I ordered out new in '83 and picked up at the dealer July 10, 1984 with 48? miles put on pre-delivery by a setup guy at Weissach. All documents and sign-off, signature, notes from that test and prep were hand delivered at sale. Engine and drivetrain was hand assembled, balanced, lightened and matched upon assembly. This car was faster than the others right out of the box and even the mechanic at the dealership said so when he road tested it. I only have two more which are perhaps as quick in a normally aspirated guise. ( The '89- 951 is another deal altogether.)

Most of these 'fettled' cars went right into competition and got used up shortly. I remember seeing some at events in the team garages and talking with owners and crew during race events in the mid '80's. Some went back to Germany to Porsche, some on to other races, many were bent up, crashed out, and parted. Check your build code tags and glove boxes for paperwork...... if you have yellow documents from Weissach with German writing and test notes in your glovebox, investigate further. You may own one of the surviving track competition cars used to make good advertising P.R. by winning against Camaros, Mustangs, Firebirds back in the day.

This one got used by me at D.E.s and track events and preserved in it's later years to show the way it does today. Just about as close to factory new with only a hint of 32 years patina existing..... I LOVE this car. It is around a 65,000 mile example.
Old 03-28-2016, 07:21 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

And as I posted on another thread on CTK's beautiful Sapphire '83 he found and brought back..... the car which belonged to his neighbor when he was growing up.

It had lost this along the way.

The original series one aircompressor / tire pump; an item which has proven difficult to find with any series one car after passing thru several owners. This one has been with this car since the day it was built in Neckarsulm. They were made in Canada, supplied to the cars either at the factory or placed in them on import prep upon entry into the U.S.
Many if not most 944s have had this item go missing over the years.... maybe getting placed in the house or left in a garage, maybe broken or left alongside the road after a tire puncture.

If you have one, consider yourself a fortunate person. Trying to locate one today is nearly impossible on the secondary market and very expensive if found and purchased from a knowing seller.
Old 03-28-2016, 07:29 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

picture wouldn't upload......

must have exceeded the quota /-;
Old 03-28-2016, 09:35 PM
WizPorsche944
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you talking about this compressor ?

https://rennlist.com/forums/parts-ma...ncy-light.html

Mine has one
Old 03-28-2016, 10:03 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

No, that is a series 2 pump which you posted, and is correct for all the series 2, S, S2, turbo, turbo S, and 968 cars. They also were fitted in Carreras and 928s. Our early cars are different and similar to the one's placed in S cars and SCs going back to the mid 70s.

The series 1 pumps are in a black, yellow, and white cardboard box, which kind of folds open when you lift the top up. It has a postcard type yellow sheet included, along with a long thin paper instruction sheet, English and French languages written on it.

These boxes often went to pieces in the watercooled cars because they were located in the rear wheel well areas which sometimes got filled with water, cardboard got soaked, compressor got ruined and tossed out. OR, they got taken out and left on the garage floor, kicked to the curb, etc. and lost.

It is amazing how many cars I have looked and and they are awol. MIA. Have taken the last train for the coast....... The plastic cased pumps are usually a lot more available but often have cracked or missing closure tabs or missing the accessories inside.

Old 03-29-2016, 12:50 PM
Humboldtgrin
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Of all the 9 944's I bought not one has had a air pump in it.
Old 03-29-2016, 01:52 PM
Dino944
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Our 85.5 came with the air compressor like the one in mrgreenjeans photo.
Old 03-29-2016, 10:31 PM
pfarah7
Rennlist Member

Received 232 Likes on 152 Posts

Anyone have a series 1 pump for sale?? I've been searching for a few years with no luck...
Old 03-31-2016, 12:36 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

When 944s were new.....

I wish I had taken more pictures.

But, those I have are on 35 mm film. I will put them on a CD some day.
In my area I lived then, in a small condo just off a local golf course, there were many. In fact, the drive around the facility is just a bit over 2 miles with many '80s developed homes on it and I remember counting 9 - 944s and 6 - 911s , 2- 928s in driveways around that development. Some were owned by the same guy.

The one 928 guy raced circle track as well and was married to a gorgeous super-model type blonde, maybe 15 years younger than he. She and he were actually in their yard in the buff doing the 'wild-thing' one evening when I was walking my Schnauzer at dusk. Little Rascal let out a couple of woofs and then a long howl when she saw them slightly hidden behind the bushes 'enjoying the moment'.

Wrong day to have left the camera at home.

Anyway, back to the cars.
Of those multiple cars owned by my neighbors, I know where one Dr. owned 911 is today and no clue what happened to all the 944s. That car is actually owned by a friend and fellow PCA club member and lives across the street from the very first owner of it ! Mine is the only 'original' 944 left in that area, and even IT isn't there any more, but at another home I own. I bring it into town and wash it at my condo from time to time and always have one of the neighbors stop by and ask about it, as some remember it from 32 years back.

The other 944s were mostly red, black, and white. One guy across the street had a PRISTINE Zermatt 924 from '81 and a single lady had a tan 931 in the house next to him. There was a guy and his wife who owned a Black 944S2 cabriolet ( he is the wealthiest guy in the state, owning hotels, an ethanol plant, and is a very generous benefactor to local causes including youth and Softball/Baseball.) THAT car was stunning in that it had linen interior and FUCHS 7 spoke wheels on it. Where it went after they moved is anyone's guess. She used it as a daily driver and it started to show the effects of salt encrusted roads shortly.

The local dealership had never any great amounts of 944s on the lot or in the showroom. One exception was a black Special Edition 924S with the lightweight burgundy interior, crank windows, smooth top, burgundy carpet. A quite RARE car made for the Jubilee/Celebration year of 1988 when Porsche built a low number of 911s to celebrate the 1/4 millionth 911 constructed, and the 100,000th 944 built, both occurring in the same year. The SE 924 in solid black sat there on the dealer's show floor for nearly a year with no takers. I believe it listed around 27,000 at the time and I do have photos of it as well on 35 mm.
I don't remember any Silver Rose 951s coming thru the place, but they always did get at least one of several quite rare cars offered in 911 or 928. ( Weissach colored, or limited cabs and Speedsters. A couple of Carrera GTs and 918s in later years.
Old 04-01-2016, 04:21 AM
mel_t_vin
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by mrgreenjeans
One exception was a black Special Edition 924S with the lightweight burgundy interior, crank windows, smooth top, burgundy carpet.
Hmmm...the rare, elusive, M756-optioned 924.

Don, that was the one that got away from you.
Old 04-01-2016, 11:34 AM
Dino944
Drifting

When 944s were new.....

I wish I had taken more pictures.
I definitely wish I had taken more photos at the dealerships. Back in the 1980s within a half hour to an hour from us we had 6 Porsche dealerships. All were smaller, distinctive dealership designs (rather than looking the same based Porsche requiring them to looks the same). I always had fun going to the dealerships with my dad. I used to collect the brochures and posters. One of the earliest Porsche posters I have on one side shows what appears to be European plaza with 3 couples each walking toward the cars, a red 924, a silver with black lower sections 924 Turbo, a silver 911 Coupe, a red 911 Targa, a silverish blue 928 and a black 928S (there was a Euro version of the poster that included the 930). The other side has specs and interior photos.

Today, 3 of the dealerships are gone. One of the dealerships which was a BMW & MB dealer in 1982, picked up Porsche an Audi in 1983. So all four marques were sold and serviced at one facility. That place is now a huge mega dealer with several buildings taking up several acres. The original building where BMW, MB, Porsche and Audi were sold was modified and is their Lexus dealership. Their Porsche dealership has the corner of a building that is attached to 2 other buildings one carrying Audi, the other housing Maserati and Bentley.

I can remember sitting in 944s, 944 Turbos, the anniversary diamond blue 911s with "F Porsche" script on the headrests, the 928S4s when they first arrived, and also seeing few special edition 924S models with the matte black plastic side view mirrors. I also remember seeing one of the first factory Slantoses to arrive at the dealer in 1987. I even used to get to sit in and play with 2 vintage blue Ferraris a 330GTC and a 212 that sat on the showroom floor ignored for 2 or 3 years. Those were fun times, and man it seemed like Porsches were flying out of their doors at least until black Monday in 1987...and then sales slowed considerably. Still what great memories!
Old 04-03-2016, 02:08 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mel_t_vin
Hmmm...the rare, elusive, M756-optioned 924.

Don, that was the one that got away from you.
I certainly agree. I thought about buying it long and hard, then one day near the end of the year it sat on the showfloor, I walked in and it was gone. I seem to remember it got dealer traded off with a group of other Porsches and Audis to another Porsche dealer in California they do a lot of business trade deals with.

Dino, the fact you mention a Ferrari 330 GTC brings up another memory I have when I was getting close to picking up my 944, as I walked into a Chevrolet dealership in Mpls. and there was a red 330 sitting on the floor for 32,000 dollars. It had been traded for a couple of Corvettes and the owner of the dealership had been briefly driving it. Some friends from the local Porsche club region and I reminisce about this car as we all were thinking the same thing. WOW, a low mile, albeit 20 year older Ferrari for the same money as a new 911 !
( Insert your own fantasies of checkbook finagling, not telling spouse or girlfriend the actual pricing, or conniving/crunching numbers during late moments at night with head on pillow trying to justify THAT purchase.

or: ALL of the above and many more.

Well, that deal just NEVER got done either.)
Old 04-04-2016, 12:54 PM
Dino944
Drifting

Dino, the fact you mention a Ferrari 330 GTC brings up another memory I have when I was getting close to picking up my 944, as I walked into a Chevrolet dealership in Mpls. and there was a red 330 sitting on the floor for 32,000 dollars. It had been traded for a couple of Corvettes and the owner of the dealership had been briefly driving it. Some friends from the local Porsche club region and I reminisce about this car as we all were thinking the same thing. WOW, a low mile, albeit 20 year older Ferrari for the same money as a new 911 !
( Insert your own fantasies of checkbook finagling, not telling spouse or girlfriend the actual pricing, or conniving/crunching numbers during late moments at night with head on pillow trying to justify THAT purchase.

or: ALL of the above and many more.

Well, that deal just NEVER got done either.)
Yes, pricing of a lot of cars then vs. now is shocking. I can recall in late 82 early 83, some places around me selling 944s with huge mark ups over MSRP that brought the price up to nearly $30K (or nearly the price of that 330). As for 330 GTC pricing, back then they were just old cars. A guy who works on one of our cars, has worked on Ferraris for nearly 40 years. His first Ferrari was a used 330GTC that he purchased in the late 70s, but then sold during the exotic car bubble of the late 80's when the value was $200K . He said back then that seemed like all the money in the world for a 330. Today he says he is shocked to see they sell for 3-4 times that amount. Oh, if only we could bring today's money back in time to pick up a few of our dream cars at the old prices! Cheers!
Old 04-04-2016, 02:36 PM
vongeiss89
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dino944
Yes, pricing of a lot of cars then vs. now is shocking. I can recall in late 82 early 83, some places around me selling 944s with huge mark ups over MSRP that brought the price up to nearly $30K (or nearly the price of that 330). As for 330 GTC pricing, back then they were just old cars. A guy who works on one of our cars, has worked on Ferraris for nearly 40 years. His first Ferrari was a used 330GTC that he purchased in the late 70s, but then sold during the exotic car bubble of the late 80's when the value was $200K . He said back then that seemed like all the money in the world for a 330. Today he says he is shocked to see they sell for 3-4 times that amount. Oh, if only we could bring today's money back in time to pick up a few of our dream cars at the old prices! Cheers!
Wow that's insane. My buddy's father has a 67 330 GTC that's classiche certified that's probably worth around a million dollars today. And someone I worked for owned both a GTC and GTS and just sold the GTS for over 2 million at auction

Quick Reply: When 944's were new.